I was watching a Satch instructional video of youtube and he started talking about how you should be able to see the fretboard, saying that you should be able to see all the keys that you want to play in and all the scale patterns etc.

I thought about my own playing and realised that the only stuff i really see on a fretboard is the minor scale on the low E string and all the notes on each string up to about the 5th fret.

So, what do you see when you look at the fretboard?(and don't say fretdots)
Need.New.Sig.
when i write music, i dont look at the fretboard. i hear something cool in my head, then i see wat my guitar is tuned to, then i play it. if nething, when i look at the fretboard i see scales, tons of scales.
I see ponies and i see unicorns and i see a teddy bear picnic.

And lots of grime and sludge built up. I need to clean it bad.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
When i look, I see almost like a grid. On this grid, there are points(frets). I see these points and i see everything I can do from that one point. I see how to play every scale starting from that point, all the different chords i can build off that one point, ect.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

[1] Wood
[2] The frets themselves
[3] The fret dots
[4] Strings
[5] The little linear indents in the wood
[6] the 9th to 12th and the 12th to 15th frets, they are perfectly placed for the minor pentatonic
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Hmm, I see...
All the notes up to the 5th fret, and especially the notes on the 2nd and 3rd fret. I see a minor pentonic and an Ionian Scale. I might even see some strings and a guitar. But that's only when I play it.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
I see opportunities.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
is it just me or do i see....a guitar!!11one leik omg!

but seriously, pentatonic in all positions, other scales and modes, and chords
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Colors.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by FenderWh0re
I see opportunities.

lol good answer.

but yea, i can see all the shapes of chords and scales and where the keys are and how the shapes look in those keys. over time you wont need to look at the fret board. but yea the more you play, you should be able to see all these scale shapes along the fret board. it helps if you try not to stick to one box. if you try to go in and out of the boxes connecting them all, you will "see" the patterns a lot easier and you wont have to think about the next shape.

thats how it was for me anyway.
It seems you are referring to the cage system of visualizing the neck. It starts as seeing shapes and dots, then after a few Jazz, Blues and Classical courses you begin to see it as notes and then you stop seeing them as notes even and as scale degrees and chords. . . . and depending on what you are doing you revert from one to the other, random shredding(dots) reading music(notes) or composing music(chords and scale degrees) and you tend to see each note within the scales own scales or modes. . . . kinda creepy stuff.
does anyone else see notes in colours? i just realized i do. like for me, e is purple, d is green, c is a light orange. its weird. i seem to visualized music alot, even if im just listening, i can "see" different tones and instruments and what not. am i not alone?
I see all the notes up to about the 5th or 7th fret by name chords all over the place including power chords anywhere i mean upper strings too...Major scale and modes up the neck mainly on the lower strings entire blues scale up to about the 12th fret or so and moveable scales like the penatonic and hungarian minor. Mainly I work around the middle of the neck...
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
does anyone else see notes in colours? i just realized i do. like for me, e is purple, d is green, c is a light orange. its weird. i seem to visualized music alot, even if im just listening, i can "see" different tones and instruments and what not. am i not alone?

Now I don't exactly do that. But when i'm listening to a band sometimes I get hear them in colors. It's weird. It's like there theme or something.
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
i see jumping points... like whatever position i'm playing in, i see all the spots on the fretboard that i can switch to and still be in that key. i'm starting to see the appropriate other keys to jump to as well. scale-wise, i sadly on see your standard minor, blues, pentatonic, scales.
I see chords in their different positions, as well as scales and many many many opportunities. While playing, I find myself looking and thinking "Im going to take this solo - go there, and then bring it around back to here while taking it through here" - that may not make sense, but that's the way I do it.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear

I've heard about this, it's just a ...thing (I'd say condition, but that makes it sound bad) that some people are born with, where they associate certain non-real things - IE words or concepts - with colours. If anyone asks anbout it, tell 'em you're gifted.

Can't say I see much special when looking at the guitar, apart from the D C and A forms of the Ionian scale in f (or, y'know, the Phrygian in A, the Locrian in E, ETC)
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear

I think that's called synethesia, i think a few classical musicians were famed for having it.

It's where two of you sense get mixed together, in this case, your hearing and your sight. I saw a guy on a TV program once that acctualy tasted different tastes when he heard or read different words, apparently the word Tuesday made him taste starbursts which i thought was pretty cool.
Need.New.Sig.
Quote by slash_620
I think that's called synethesia, i think a few classical musicians were famed for having it.

It's where two of you sense get mixed together, in this case, your hearing and your sight. I saw a guy on a TV program once that acctualy tasted different tastes when he heard or read different words, apparently the word Tuesday made him taste starbursts which i thought was pretty cool.

Michel Petrucciani had that too. People would say "play something blue" to him and he'd start playing

Great player he was.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Yes I have that with some notes aswell. For me E is brown, A red, D yellow, C white, G lighter brown but the other ones not. I've got the same thing with modes but with more overlapping colours. Too bad I don't have perfect pitch.
I tend to see the low E and A strings as chords, and roots, and everything around my root I just view as an interval.

I also view pentatonic boxes (sp) as skeletons, kinda like go-to-points when I get lost improvising. I like to think of patterns as Mick Goodrick put it in Advancing Guitarist: gears you need to be able to shift in and out of.

Mostly, I'm better at numbers then actual notes, i.e., root(1), 4th, 5th, etc.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
Quote by ILoveHarmonics
Yes I have that with some notes aswell. For me E is brown, A red, D yellow, C white, G lighter brown but the other ones not. I've got the same thing with modes but with more overlapping colours. Too bad I don't have perfect pitch.

I tend to see notes and modes as environments, not colours... I've never ever even thought of colours before when playing, but I do think about say some middle-eastern city with women walking around in burka's when I play phrygian, stuff like that
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
After reading this thread yesterday then playing last night, it occurs to me that I actually see everything in terms of scale degrees. Like if we're playing in E minor, I see the board as which notes are which scale degree so I can jump to the ones I want. The root is easiest to see followed by the b3 and b7.
it's amazing how so many people see the fretboard as a bunch of scale shapes

am i the only one who sees notes?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I basically see a few patterns of notes that I may move between. I don't always know the origins but I know the flavours (I'm not going on a **** theory rant, btw). I guess that makes me limited at the moment, but it hasn't stopped me coming up with some basslines that I love (I am mainly a bassist). On guitar, I usually see in chords (mainly major, minor, maj7, m7, 6, and dim7).
Quote by Resiliance
I tend to see notes and modes as environments, not colours... I've never ever even thought of colours before when playing, but I do think about say some middle-eastern city with women walking around in burka's when I play phrygian, stuff like that

Woah, I just noticed I do that too. Weeeeiiirrrddd...
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
Quote by axe_grinder247

i was thinking the same thing..... i have a case of synesthesia as well when listening to music, but when looking at the fretboard i see F,F#,G,G#,A and so on and so forth.... i'd like to eventually work it over so that when i look at it i see sheet music (so that when i look at a F# i can see the f# on a piece of sheet music in my head) that would totally rock.....
Quote by axe_grinder247

i dont know a lot of theory and cant read music very fast. maybe thats why some other people see the shapes and what not. there are some notes i do see though, but mostly on the lower strings because of the root notes.

also, i read that jimi hendrix saw colours in music as well.
^ i was that way when i started,i just saw a couple notes (all no non sharpened notes) mixed in with the minor and major patterns but i started listening to classical music and it really opened my mind up to not looking at it like patterns but groupings of notes.
Quote by z4twenny
^ i was that way when i started,i just saw a couple notes (all no non sharpened notes) mixed in with the minor and major patterns but i started listening to classical music and it really opened my mind up to not looking at it like patterns but groupings of notes.

same here, and i really would like to see notes on sheet music...i can read sheet music, but i can't sight read very quickly...it's easy to name the notes up and down the staff, but when trying to assign a certain pitch of a certain note to the staff; it's a pain in the arse for me
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
^ yeah same here, i'm working really slowly on it to try and improve, i've learned a couple really simple songs by sight reading music, i think it just gets easier with practice, i'd like to get as good with it as i am with 'tab so i can look at sheet music and play along as i'm reading it.
if youre looking for a shortcut to improv, this isnt the answer. the more you play the easier it is to visualize the fretboard
Gear:
Washburn WG587 (7 String)
Crate 120 Watt GFX 212T (3 Channel)

Pedals:
Distortion
Flanger

Quote by eltyr18
Never heard of Dream Theater, and what you mean by a complete band?