Argh! having a hard time choosing an amp. i was pretty set on either a valve king or a laney.

I went to have a little look on ebay and it turns out i can get jcms and tsl marshalls for about £400 perhaps even a mesa mark IV or a peavey 6505 or 5150. which is basicly the same price as a new laney.

I dont know what i should buy so going to start from scratch and start to break it down again.

I like to play high gain metal. wanting something with alot of punch maybe a touch of dark tones. wouldnt mind some nice cleans to though 50 w tube would do it and combo with an external output would work fine to. Probably be using it for gigging.

heres a list i made of possible amps that might be possible in my budget on ebay i should be able to bid starting from next friday. id like to keep it within £100-300 (200-580$ roughly)

i saw a jcm 900 go today for 400 so maybe could scrape one for 300? ill try push for 400 if i can.
The jcm

Marshall tsl
Marshall dsl
Marshall jcm
Laney gh50l
Peavey valve king
Peavey xxx
Peavey 6505/5150
Mesaboogie mark IV
Mesa f30 or maybe 50?
Last edited by Sora 01 at Aug 3, 2006,
Out of those I'd say prob the laney or the mesas (doubt you can get a mesa for that price but if you can)
Quote by pierce34celtic
You won't find a Mark IV for less that a $1000 unless you get really lucky, although it's worth it, the peavey xxx might be a good bet, although they go for around $700 used on eBay.

Dude is in scotland...

And I'd go with a laney, most definitely. I love those amps. VH100r is kickass.
well i like the sound of the jcm 900 very much. I really need to sell my old guitar. and at least get £100 for it and that means i should be able to bid on anything up to £400
Thats about $800 i think
Go and play them all, see what you think, buy the one you like most.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Travel.
Don't be afraid to care"

Very!
But it's not a dark sounding amp, it'll do metal, but not really heavy metal.

And get the train/bus anything to go and try things out, you'll be thankful when you buy an amp and you know what you're buying into and so on, that's what I'm trying to say.
Don't be afraid to care"

Maybe, but probably won't do it aswell as an amp made to do heavy metal would, but for that price, I doubt it matters.
Unless you can get a Peavey 5150 or something for that price(dark with a lot of gain)
Don't be afraid to care"

or you could win the lottery and get a Krank Revolution or a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade?

I'd probably say the Laney would be your best bet. Peavey's and Mesa's are really overpriced in Scotland. If you can score a Mesa Mark IV for that price (which seems doubtful) then it's amazing (even better than the Laney).
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join