Hey there.

I've been wondering how to play guitar behind my head. I think it would be fun to learn how to do.

Anyone here know how to do it and can give me some tips?
put the ****in guitar behind your head and play... i did it drunk once... not that cool...
you should really be able to play really well before doing it otherwiese you just make yourself look like an ass, also dont brag about doing it its not that cool.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
its not hard, and dont you think it would have been easier to try first rather than asking UG how to do it?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
i reckon its just a stepping stone to setting it on fire and playin it with ur teeth whilst doin a backflip into the drumkit loaded with explosives.... Yea make sure u can play it normally before you try to do it behind ur head
Grammar Nazi.
Quote by Ranger01
you should really be able to play really well before doing it otherwiese you just make yourself look like an ass, also dont brag about doing it its not that cool.

i didnt brag if you thoguht i was bragging
watch a Jimi hendrix video and see how he does it ...

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
Quote by FrancheComa
i didnt brag if you thoguht i was bragging

I know, i was saying that so that when you do start playing behind your head you dont make an ass out of yourself.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
i suggest a lighter guitar like a fender as well
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
u could also watch an SRV video he does it sometimes. i find it very painful, but it looks kool
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by kerrang
i reckon its just a stepping stone to setting it on fire and playin it with ur teeth whilst doin a backflip into the drumkit loaded with explosives.... Yea make sure u can play it normally before you try to do it behind ur head

My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
Don't attempt it with a V shaped guitar...or your freinds dads $3500 Vintage les paul.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Don't attempt it with a V shaped guitar...or your freinds dads $3500 Vintage les paul.

Is there a story behind that one?

I find that if you know how to play a song well enough to not need to look at the guitar while you're playing it, you can play it behind your head.
well, a V will slide around. and usually my freinds dad doesn't let anyone other than his son play his guitars, well he wasn't there and i got to play on a very old les paul, in almost mint condition, and i about hit the wall with the headstock.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Unless your Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan..

You're a douchebag if you try to play behind your head.

Now shut up and play your guitar normally.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
It's pretty easy. First time I tried it, I played a Clapton song and could play it just as well. Of course, I have an about 4" deep archtop, so I didn't continue to do it.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
it might seem cool to non-guitar players, but if you're doing a show, there will most likely be guitar players there and they will most likely think youre just trying to show off....which is usually the case. first off all its not to hard to do. i dont think there is a way you can play your guitar, other than normally, that wont make people think youre just trying to show off. the only one i kinda have respect for is playing with your teeth. ive tried it and it was really weird to do. im sure anyone could pick it up quickly though. but still, just play normally.
practice with ylour eyes closed once you know everything like that you can do it behind your head thats how i learned.
Zakk Wylde did it at the Massachusetts Ozzfest this Tuesday. It's not hard to play behind your head, it just depends on what you're trying to play. Fancy wanker **** you can probably do for a long time, but a lot of chords and stressful hand manuevering would definately be harder.
Quote by Ranger01
I know, i was saying that so that when you do start playing behind your head you dont make an ass out of yourself.

and i never said i was gonna ever do it lol, i just said i did it once as a joke
Man I say if you're playing a show you should go for it. Rip a huge face melter behind your head! So people think you're showing off! You should be showing off!
Step 1: put the guitar behind your head.

Step 2: try to play.

Step 3: if you can't, practice it more.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by washburndean
Unless your Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan..

You're a douchebag if you try to play behind your head.

Now shut up and play your guitar normally.

What about Paul Stanley?
I thought being a rockstar was about being a wanker? in which case it'd be hell fun to play behind your head, like only for like 10 or 20 seconds, not like a whole set, that'd just be weird.
Marty
Learn how to play slide while doing pushups. That would be cool. Then you could play Celebration Day and the bass player could take a piss on you and you would get angry and maybe electrocuted but if you didn't get electrocuted you would get up and kick him square in the balls.

But seriously folks, I think we've all learned something here today. It can be cool to show off and do things like play behind your head, but don't overdo it, or Rick Rubin will rub his beard in your stomach and you will have an itchy gut for the rest of your life.

Also, do it safely and it is probably easier to do some kind of wanky solo based on one mode or something.

I just had a thought. There may very well be an unattempted Guiness record for the longest guitar wank in a single mode while playing behind your head on top of a lake of lava and piranhas or something like that. All I ask if someone does it is to mention me in their speech upon completing it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Step 1: put the guitar behind your head.

Step 2: try to play.

Step 3: if you can't, practice it more.

And that sir, its how it is done
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
its the easiest trick in the book next to hammer ons....just get the dip in the body of the guitar behind your head and it feels natural, not like you have to work out some special technique or anything
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
And that sir, its how it is done

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?