I want a new amp cause I'm kinda disapointed in the Fender FM212 that I have. So I've read a bunch of the topics here and I'm still not quite sure about stuff. So let me give you all the low down. I'm looking for a tube amp thats around 30W (I want to practice in my room but also gig with it) and somewhere below $800. I play a lot of styles of music and it ranges from like Guster to Foo Fighters to Third Eye Blind to Led Zeppelin, and sometimes heavier, but the heaviest I play is like Metallica. I'm not really into metal. I saw a list of good amps on here and they were categorized by low, medium, and high gain but I'm not really sure where those bands fall on that scale. But the amp doesn't really need to have a huge amount of gain since I have a Digitech Hot Rod pedal and a Tubescreamer. Anyway, the kind of guitar I have is a Fender mex strat that I've had since '99 with vintage noisless pickups. So if you all could give me some suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Marshall DSL combo?
Marshall JCM combo?

Fender Hot Rod deluxe
Fender Twin...

Mesa F series
Mesa Single Rectifier (this one is a good one or the marshalls IMO.)

I'd stay away from peavey, ashdown, genz benz, ENGL if you arent going for alot of high gain.
Epiphone just came out with a new 15/30W 2x12 all tube combo called the Blues Custom. looks pretty sleek and is definatley not $800.

Upon furthur investigations, it's 500US. ($562.03)
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Last edited by ufossuck at Aug 3, 2006,
^ it's 500, full tube (rectifier too, which is a little rare for an amplifier of that price). 2 channels, etc etc. uses 6l6's, tube driven spring reverb, etc etc

I'd look into it if my budget was 800. (try it out at a store). Then if I liked it, I could either pocket the rest, or spend it on something else.
For a little bit more...Orange Rocker series
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Check out the Peavey Valveking series. Pretty affordable and sound good too. All tube!
From the bands you listed, I think a mid-range gain amp would be the best for you. The Marshalls would do pretty well for that. Of course, if you're happy with your pedals producing your gain, I'd recommend a Fender amp. The Hot Rod Deluxe and Blues Deluxe are both good amps with a great clean sound, and they tend to accept pedals very well. They're a bit higher wattage than you're looking for, but 30W tube amps and 40W tube amps have very little difference volume wise. These also fall well under your $800 limit.

Good luck with your purchase.
I'd kind of like to have my gain come from the amp, though if I were to get a Marshall, I could always just turn down the gain to sort of clean and then run the pedal. What amps would produce sound like the Marshalls, but without the $1000+ price tag?
I know people are going to probably bash me for this recommendation, but the Crate V-Series amps have both a Fender-y clean sound and a Marshall-y gain sound. The V3112 (30W 1X12) has two channels with a shared EQ, and the VFX5112 and 5212 (50W, either 1X12 or 2X12) have two channels with separate EQ's and some built-in digital effects. The most expensive of these goes for just under $800 on websites, and eBay has quite a few of them floating around at much less. I use the 5212 when I'm gigging, and the only problem I've run into is not having a boost for lead work, but an OD or boost pedal fixes that easily.
Quote by mikewaz
I know people are going to probably bash me for this recommendation, but the Crate V-Series amps have both a Fender-y clean sound and a Marshall-y gain sound. The V3112 (30W 1X12) has two channels with a shared EQ, and the VFX5112 and 5212 (50W, either 1X12 or 2X12) have two channels with separate EQ's and some built-in digital effects. The most expensive of these goes for just under $800 on websites, and eBay has quite a few of them floating around at much less. I use the 5212 when I'm gigging, and the only problem I've run into is not having a boost for lead work, but an OD or boost pedal fixes that easily.

dude no way am i going to back u for that

i played the v series, and they are solid, arse-kicking amps. Great clean, great gain, it IS like a mix of the fender cleans and the marshall gains.

THe orange rocker series are 1.4k new at long and mcquade (CDN) for the 30 watt one. Awesome amps though

If your limit is about 800 dollars, look into sme traynors. They are solid amps. look into the ycv40wrs, its got a celestion 30 speaker which gives it a nicer, more defined tone.
Minsoo s.w.
if your looking into the marshall's look into used ones.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Are used amps any good? Like is it going to be as good as a new one? And where can I get used equipment? I've never bought used guitar stuff before.
ok. so where do you live?

If you'd rather buy used gear locally, instead of using the internet, check out www.craigslist.com
Go there, click in your area, and go to the musical instuments section. Now you play the waiting game or post an ad saying "WTB: (insert product name here)"

Also, your local stores may have some used gear, but you'll probably get a better deal buying locally or through ebay.

If the gear has been well taken care of, it will be just as good as a new one. Make sure to ask how old the tubes are, if there has been any problems with it, etc, to make sure that the amp is in great working order. If the tubes are old, you'll probably have to swap them soon, so ask for some more discounts.
One thing to keep in mind though is that with used gear, you dont get warranty unless the item is almost brand new, and the original owner already signd up for one, then it may get passed down to you, the new owner. Also, even if you find the one you like, wait around a bit more. buying a used gear just to get 100 dollars off may not be worth it; a repair for the item may cost 200!

Just keep those things in mind, and you'll be off to get a great deal. Also, make sure to play it before buying it, and watch out for some scammers that might be out there!
Minsoo s.w.
I live in Newark, Delaware, so I guess I'd use the Philly craigslist. What other sites are good? Ebay?
Sounds to me like a Traynor YCV50 Blue is right up your alley. Great cleans, smooth overdrive. Without the gain boost, the lead channel has a kind of thinner Marshall 'Plexi' tone (great for Zeppelin and other classic rock). With the gain boost, the amp has a huge full tone and a fair bit of gain (it'll get pretty close to a Metallica tone). Use the tubescreamer to boost your tone and you can easily get Metallica lead tones too. It's a great amp (i have one). It sounds remarkabely like a high-end Marshall. The best thing is, they cost $750. Here's a link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Link47
I live in Newark, Delaware, so I guess I'd use the Philly craigslist. What other sites are good? Ebay?

Problem with Ebay is that you don't get to try it before you buy it, and it's usually a "caveat emptor" situation where if you don't like the product or you find its got a latent defect (not a major one but one you weren't expecting) you're screwed. Great thing about musical instruments is that it's usually what you play is what you get. I wouldn't buy ANYTHING like an amp used without being able to play it first. But yeah, there is an awesome used market out there. You might be able to dig up a great amp for cheap.

But as far as other places to look, check your local supermarkets for circulars that are just big want ad books (up here it's called Want Ad Digest), keep an eye out in your local paper, especially on weekends. Estate sales often have musical instruments. Flea markets sometimes do, but they're few and far between for anything of quality. Your local music stores might also carry some used amps.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Aug 4, 2006,
Okay, I'll start looking around.

What store sell Traynor;s? I don't see it listed on Sam Ash's or Guitar Center's websites. Musicians friend is probably the cheapest, but I'd like to hear it first.
+1 for the traynor blue.... i was going to get it, then got set on a Mesa Mark IV
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
i don't play much metal either....metallica is prolly the heaviest. I love my Peavey classic 30...its an older model i bought used for $300...can't beat it. I think brand new they go for around $700. The little ****er can crank though, i love it.
RIP Dime This "Blacktooth" is for you brother

I ROCK HARDER THAN EPILEPSY!!!
I have a peavey classic 50 for sale for 450. Its a pretty sweet amp and you can gig with it.

Lemme know
If you can find a used one for around 800 i would go for a marshall JTM 45 reissue..its 30 watts and it has awesome cleans and its single channel so no built in gain but it takes distortion pedals really well..but you might not be able to find one for 800..ebay maybe
Ask me no questions, i will tell you no lies...
I think I'm going to go up to Guitar Center and Sam Ash this weekend and try out amps, hopefully they'll have that Traynor there cause I looked at that one online and it seems pretty sweet.
I've been looking into getting the Traynor YCV50 Blue as well. I haven't tried it out yet but it seems to be a pretty good amp. The only possible issue is the FX loop on it seems to have some issues (break up at higher volumes, buzzing). I haven't tried it out yet, still trying to see if any stores in my area (rochester, NY, if know of someone PM me!) before I consider making a drive to somewhere else.

Traynors also have a great warranty on them 2-year fully transferrable even if you break it they will fix it. I am considering getting one off ebay since even if it does have problems I can get them to replace it!

Anywho if you do find one let me know how you like it.
Quote by Link47
I want a new amp cause I'm kinda disapointed in the Fender FM212 that I have. So I've read a bunch of the topics here and I'm still not quite sure about stuff. So let me give you all the low down. I'm looking for a tube amp thats around 30W (I want to practice in my room but also gig with it) and somewhere below $800. I play a lot of styles of music and it ranges from like Guster to Foo Fighters to Third Eye Blind to Led Zeppelin, and sometimes heavier, but the heaviest I play is like Metallica. I'm not really into metal. I saw a list of good amps on here and they were categorized by low, medium, and high gain but I'm not really sure where those bands fall on that scale. But the amp doesn't really need to have a huge amount of gain since I have a Digitech Hot Rod pedal and a Tubescreamer. Anyway, the kind of guitar I have is a Fender mex strat that I've had since '99 with vintage noisless pickups. So if you all could give me some suggestions I would really appreciate it.

for your price range i would say the Carvin mts 3212 or 3200. you can get them new for 500 from Carvin and they have a ten day trial return period. I use them because they are versatile as well as great amps for low cost. i got my 3200 for 355.50 on ebay. You can get TONS of distortion if needed with this thing and if you get it biased after purchase......it's amazing. it is 50/100 watts via switch on reverse pannel. Not quite as low as you like but, this thing sounds great on 2/50 watts.
Quote by bmw8719
I've been looking into getting the Traynor YCV50 Blue as well. I haven't tried it out yet but it seems to be a pretty good amp. The only possible issue is the FX loop on it seems to have some issues (break up at higher volumes, buzzing). I haven't tried it out yet, still trying to see if any stores in my area (rochester, NY, if know of someone PM me!) before I consider making a drive to somewhere else.

Traynors also have a great warranty on them 2-year fully transferrable even if you break it they will fix it. I am considering getting one off ebay since even if it does have problems I can get them to replace it!

Anywho if you do find one let me know how you like it.

I don't have any problems with the effects loop. It isn't buzzy at all. I haven't used the FX loop with the amps volume past 5, so I can't say how well it deals with break-up. Although, the amp sounds great cranked, and the effects loop seems pretty standard to me.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join