What are the advantages of having the strings on your guitar closer to the fret board?

My brother's guitar has the sring closer to the fret board and it feels awesome to play. The strings on my axe, however, are quite a bit away from the fret board, and I 'm more comforable playing on my brother's.

So, what are the advs and disadvs of having them closer?
When they are closer, they are easier to press down and you can play much faster and cleaner, but having them too close will cause fret buzz. It's fine to have a little buzz, just as long as you can't hear it while playing through an amp.

Having the strings away from the frets is great for playing slide
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Having the strings closer to the fretboard makes the guitar much easier to play, much faster but if they are to low they will hit the frets and buzz and that sucks. Having them high however eliminates all buzz and are good for players with stronger fingers.
Closer, or lower means easier fretting, faster playing, BUT it can also mean fret buzz, and bad notes.
~Bryan~
~~One Off Custom Strat~~
- 3 piece alder body
- Maple on rosewood 21 fret neck
- '82 Fender pickups

~~'92 Toyota Supra~~

- 1JZ-GTE (TT, front mount intercooler, 15~psi)
- Tuned on 93 octane
- HKS 3" exhaust
It's not something you get from someone else, it's what you feel comfortable with for yourself.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
I use mine as close as i can get them without any major buzz. I still get buzzing, but you can only hear it when it's deathly quiet around me and unplugged.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
I'm into playing thrash metal and fairly fast passages, so would it be better if I played with the strings closer?
Ive got mine about as close as you can get without hitting the frets.

I have no buzz, you gotta know how to set your **** up.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by Coins
I'm into playing thrash metal and fairly fast passages, so would it be better if I played with the strings closer?

I would lower the strings, because it can only help you by lowering them. Just make sure they dont get so low they buzz. Or just take it to a shop and theyll probably do it for like $15
Having them to low may make it harder to bend aswell. If they are to low, the string above the one you are bend might slip under your finger causing unwanted noise.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
^ You've gotta be good at guitar.

Most guitars strings will slip under the strings, youve gotta know how to mute....Not just that, but if youve played long enough you just have a feel for how to prevent noised from other strings. or just hit both strings and have a lynch effect.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator