Wat kind of Fender does this guy use. I love the Strat sound he gets outta that. And if i was to buy a new strat, wat would the price be around (to match john's tone of course)
John uses vintage fenders. I think the most recent guitar he wons and really uses is a '69. So im guessing a minium of 10,000 USD.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
if i was to buy a strat, would like a 60th anniversary or say a clapton strat work well for that tone?
He uses late 50's-early 60's strats, so neither of those will work. Try a 57 or 62 RI.
No idea, but probally not. The strats he uses are old, and as such there magnets who warn down some and have a diffrent tone. You'll not be able to get the tone with an instreminute older then 30 or 40 years.

Quote by Roc8995
He uses late 50's-early 60's strats, so neither of those will work. Try a 57 or 62 RI.

Still wouldn't get the osund, read my above post.

Just get a MIM strat.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
Quote by zekk
Still wouldn't get the osund, read my above post.

I realize it won't get the exact tone, but it's the closest you'll get without shelling out ten grand. Besides, I'll bet my left nut that the threadstarter hasn't got a Marshall Jubilee, Marshall Major, a pedalboard the size of a small country, and frusciante's hands, so nailing the 'exact' tone is irrelevant. This is a ballpark tone kind of thing.
thats about 1/8 of your left nut.

wats's a MIM strat?

and, to prevent a new thread, i was reading up on Clapton's sig strat, and it has an American synchronized trem. wtf is that?

also, how do u tell if a guitar has locking tuners by lookin at it? and, wat are staggered machine heads?
^What have you got? A Marshall something?
What's the rest of your rig, while we're at it?
Quote by Roc8995
^What have you got? A Marshall something?

pedalboard.

Hell, i tried to make a pun
Quote by Supern00b
thats about 1/8 of your left nut.

wats's a MIM strat?

and, to prevent a new thread, i was reading up on Clapton's sig strat, and it has an American synchronized trem. wtf is that?

also, how do u tell if a guitar has locking tuners by lookin at it? and, wat are staggered machine heads?

An MIM strat is one made in Mexico, also known as a 'standard' strat. They're $400 new. Not bad if that's all the cash you have, but you mentioned the clapton strat so I figure you've got more money than that.

An american synch trem is one of two kinds of whammy bars fender puts on strats. The other kind is the vintage style, which doesn't keep tune as well but reportedly has a better tone (I've never been able to tell myself, don't use much whammy.)

And most stock guitars don't have locking tuners. Those are almost exclusively aftermarket. 'Staggered tuners' is just a marketing term that means that they moved the tuners around a bit to get rid of a string tree. Fairly irrelevant.
ahhh MIM made in Mexico.

c, i already own a MIM fat strat, im not sure if i wanna spend cash on a gibson or prs. or just on a mid price strat.

wats a ''blocked" trem?
Quote by colin617
Just play around with your amp settings...

Theres only so my an amp's EQ can do for tone.

A '62 Fender Strat (sunburst)
A '61 Fender Strat (white)
'57 Strat (sunburst, used for Cali and live sometimes)
And another '62 that he uses at times.#

Most of them will cost over £30,000.

Being real, if you've got the money for a Clappers Strat, buy a Fender USA '62 reissue Strat, but you'll need a decent clean valve amp to get anywhere near his tone.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Last edited by R_H_C_P at Aug 4, 2006,
Effects/Pedalboard
John has used and/or is still using the following effects.
Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive:
BOSS OD-1 Overdrive (used early in his career with the RHCP, but quickly removed from his pedal board)
BOSS DS-1 Distortion (used solely in the Mother's Milk era, and for the song "Otherside")
BOSS DS-2 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff Pi Distortion/Sustainer
Electro-Harmonix Graphic Fuzz
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Modulation/Filter:
BOSS CE-1 Chorus Ensemble (Also used for Vibrato effects greatly used on "Stadium Arcadium").
Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress Flanger & Filter Matrix
Electro-Harmonix Frequency Analyzer
Electro-Harmonix Micro Synthensizer
Electro-Harmonix Tube Zipper
Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler
Moog MF-103 MoogerFooger 12 Stage Phaser
MXR Phase 90 (re-issue)
Dunlop Univibe Stereo Chorus
Wah-Wah:
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Wah
Ibanez WH-10 Wah-Wah (John's preferred Wah today. John has several of these pedals, as they are long discontinued, and due to being made of plastic, break easily.)
ZVex Wah-Probe
Delay/Reverb:
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Electro-Harmonix 16-second Digital Delay
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
Other:
BOSS Master Switch
BOSS FV-50 Volume pedal
MXR Micro Amp (John uses this to get more output from the pickups in his Strats)
Frusciante's pedalboard for the Californication tour was rather modest, only five pedals, though his effects arsenal for the By the Way tour was considerably larger. John used a wide variety of modular synth gear in the studio for the making of Stadium Arcadium.

Guitars
Frusciante is known to use mostly vintage guitars, including:
Two 1940s Martin acoustics
1950s Gibson ES-335 Two Color Sunburst
1955 Gretsch White Falcon
1957 Fender Stratocaster Two Color Sunburst, maple fretboard
1960s Gibson SG Sunburst
1961 Fender Stratocaster Two Color Sunburst, rosewood fretboard
1961 Gibson SG Custom Cherry Red
1961 Fender Stratocaster, Olympic White, rosewood fretboard
1962 Fender Stratocaster, Three Color Sunburst, rosewood fretboard
1962 Fender Jaguar Fiesta Red
1963 Fender Custom Telecaster, rosewood fretboard
1965 Fender Custom Telecaster, rosewood fretboard
1965 Fender Duo-Sonic Olympic White, rosewood fretboard
1969 Fender Mustang Fiesta Red (Practice Guitar)
1969 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty
Ibanez RG 250 DX (used during Mother's Milk)
Maton Messiah 12-string acoustic (which can be heard on "Breaking the Girl")
Mosrite St.George Gold 12-string electric
Fender Precision Bass Olympic White, rosewood fretboard
His 1955 Stratocaster was used in the recording of Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and the 1962 Stratocaster was given to him as a present by bandmate Anthony Kiedis after he returned to the band. He has also been seen playing a Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty guitar, mainly during the Red Hot Chili Peppers tour in 2004 for the cover song, "Black Cross", he also can be seen playing a Gibson SG Custom in the music video for "Fortune Faded".
John has been seen playing a Toronado in the video for "Can't Stop", although on a commentary audio track for the music video included on the DVD that accompanied the 2003 RHCP Greatest Hits album, John states that he only used the guitar for the video because the director asked him to.
As of 2006, John has been seen playing a number of different guitars in the Red Hot Chili Peppers' music video for "Dani California", involving the band paying tribute to several bands including The Beatles and Nirvana. Towards the end of the video, the band "become" themselves and John plays a white 1961 Fender Stratocaster, with its visible wear and tear. It is similar to a white Stratocaster Jimi Hendrix used, who is one of John's major influences.
John uses his beat up red Mustang to warm up before a concert. One of his original Jaguars was stolen back in the early '90s, though it is not certain if the blue or green one was stolen. John also has a white Fender Precision Bass, which is seen in the "Past Recedes" video. Most likely, it is a vintage pre-'65 P-Bass. Also visible in the video is a miniature acoustic.

Amplification
Fender Blackface Showman
Fender Twin Reverb (John keeps this next to his pedalboard)
Marshall JTM-45
Marshall 100W Super Bass
Marshall Silver Jubilee 100
Marshall 200W Major
He primarily uses Marshall amplifiers, mainly two Silver Jubilee and a 200-watt Major. Although, has also been seen using amps by Vox and Fender.

And as if by magic... Youll sound ALMOST like him.
Isn't it John Anthony Mother Fucking Frusciante (woo woo woo woo)?
Don't be afraid to care"

Ah yeah It is my mistake, I did go to that gig and i forgot to put the quote in :P

And hey R_H_C_P

I won an auction for the ibanez WH-10 wah

Im well happy.

Arlene smith covers FTW.
Really? You bastard. How much was it?

Maaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaaybeeeeeeeee
Don't be afraid to care"

Well its from Spain, And it was *eeek* £176

But im getting a job soon so yeah.. :P

AND

"If i cry every night, You'll come back to MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
Hmm, think it'll be worth it then? And you'll need to get back to me on how it is.
Link to the finished auction?

And....

And maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaybeeeeeeeeeee, if I kissed, yoooooour liiips, I'll be at yourrrrrr commaaaaaaaaaaand
Don't be afraid to care"

Yeah it probably wont be worth it but i didnt pay for it so who cares :P

Ill see if i can find how to do it... Im crap at eBay my dad did it.

OH OWOWOW MAAAAAAYBEEEEEEEEEEEE-E-E-E-E-E
I'm insanely jealous. I need to try one out in real life and see if it lives up to the hype.
Got a good Fru sound with that gear?
Don't be afraid to care"

Not to brag or anything... But with my gear atm.. I can actually get most JF sounds that ive heard without getting myself into a studio and spending 1000's on a big modular filter synth... Only thing im having trouble with is "Off the Map" Style feedback solos and the whole reggae funk improv thingy.

Im gonna save up for some Moogs soon.

And i have a present for you

http://media.putfile.com/Maybe---Arlene-Smith-and-The-Chantels

Enjoy...
Cool! I've not heard the original before lol

I feel the same as you, I've got the perfect Fru sound without spending loads of money.
Just the Strat and Blues Jr for v similar Fru clean sounds (neck pickup, ooo yea), and for the fuzz/distortion, my Big Muff boosted by my OD-3, I'm immensely happy with it all!

What type of Fru tones can you pretty much nail then? There's the few I can't/don't really care, like a few off the new album, but oh well!
Don't be afraid to care"

Well if we are being specific and allowing my ego to go OTT then this is going to be a long list.

As for the RHCP songs i can play i can play the whole of By The Way, BSSM, Californication and Most of Stadium Arcadium.

I can nail most of the sounds, The sweeping filter from Dani california before the solo is my most proud piece of work, On my Korg i have a random "Swoosh" stored in the delay memory using my phase 90 and i just stomp it and it swooshs over what im doing which gives me a second to turn on my muff and wah becasue they are at opposite sides of my board atm due to me having them all in one line and not in order of where i use them

To be honest i dont give a crap about Warlocks, Hey, Animal Bar, Death of A Martian or We Believe

But most of the others i can get practically as close as possible without getting a silver jubilee and a '62 strat :P Allthough i have bought some original '63 Lace Sensors from my local guitar shop, and my birthday cash is almost ran out :P

But yes.. Getting a sound your happy with is imho the #1 priority on any guitarists list i think.

EDIT: Took all that "Sound like" Crap out because it made me sound big headed.
Last edited by Matticuss22 at Aug 4, 2006,
Haha, I feel pretty damn similar, what're the lace sensors like?

I actually like Warlocks (thought t'was just a crappy filler at first, but I saw it at T in the Park, and the tone+chorus was so amazing, I went and learnt it all by ear, by the way there aren't aaaaaany correct tabs for the chorus of it...)

I'm gonna be heading off now, if I'm not here later, cya in 2 weeks! (Holiday woo!), but have you heard many of the Chilis b-sides? I'm obsessing over them all right now, most are better than the A-sides, just wow.
Don't be afraid to care"

honestly though, the 62 reissue strat has a weird trem....looks impossible to palm mute.
Quote by R_H_C_P
Haha, I feel pretty damn similar, what're the lace sensors like?

I actually like Warlocks (thought t'was just a crappy filler at first, but I saw it at T in the Park, and the tone+chorus was so amazing, I went and learnt it all by ear, by the way there aren't aaaaaany correct tabs for the chorus of it...)

I'm gonna be heading off now, if I'm not here later, cya in 2 weeks! (Holiday woo!), but have you heard many of the Chilis b-sides? I'm obsessing over them all right now, most are better than the A-sides, just wow.

wow, can u send me the tab of warlocks. the chorus and the bridge are amazingggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!
Wow, and I though I loved John Fusciante and RCHP....

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

^Welcome to the world of obsessive compulsive fans!

And RHCPlover, I don't tab things, just figure by ear to memory, but the chorus is Em (all chords like the open ones but at 12th fret) C then D7 G then D.
Don't be afraid to care"