ok i've been givin the oppertunity to get a new guitar, and i was wondering what'd be a good guitar to play punk on.
I think about life, and then I think about death, and neither one particularly appeals to me..
Les Paul, Fat Strat, SG... The choices are endless. Pretty much anything with 'Buckers will do.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
alright sweet, i've had my eye on a les paul or SG
I think about life, and then I think about death, and neither one particularly appeals to me..
If you go the Les Paul or SG rout try to get a Gibson and not an Epiphone.

if i can find a cheap enough gibson.. there just so damn expensive!!
Try a Les Paul Special, they're the cheapest Gibsons. However, you'll find a high-end Epiphone is better than a low-end Gibson.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
alright ill take that into consideration, thanks.
Meh, you can play punk on any guitar because you won't be having trouble with the neck width, etc.

And most punk tones can be achieved with some trebly distortion with, as I said before, any guitar.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Quote by Svennz
Meh, you can play punk on any guitar because you won't be having trouble with the neck width, etc.

And most punk tones can be achieved with some trebly distortion with, as I said before, any guitar.

Meh, he'd still need 'Buckers to play some more hardcore punk. (Ramones, Pistols, Bad Religion, I guess NOFX aswell), because of the high use of distortion. Singles would get really noisy with high gain and distortion.

You should buy a jackson and learn to shred lol. What about one of those Tom Delonge strats off ebay. I cant help you to much I've never played punk in my life.

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
Quote by Jackson523
You should buy a jackson and learn to shred lol. What about one of those Tom Delonge strats off ebay. I cant help you to much I've never played punk in my life.

Don't knock it before you try it. Punk might not have Dime or Hammets shredding, but its got there soul. And that counts a ****load. If I were you I wouldn't get a DeLonge, There not that versitile seeming.

every damn punk band near me has a Epi Zakk Wylde LP

I would go with a les paul or an SG, theres one or the other in just about every punk band in the world. if u have enough cash for the Gibby then go for it, but an epi will do you just fine if ur just gonna be jamming powerchords all the time....
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
If you go the Epi rout start looking at the GT-400 and up, nothing less.

Quote by zekk
Don't knock it before you try it. Punk might not have Dime or Hammets shredding, but its got there soul. And that counts a ****load. If I were you I wouldn't get a DeLonge, There not that versitile seeming.

I was just joking i'm not trying to knock anyone. I dont have any problem with punk. People can play whatever they want. I dont like punk and I wont try it because I dont have any desire to. Jazz music is really hard and I respect it but I dont want to learn it because it doesn't appeal to me and nether does punk.

JACKSON

Just making sure you were one of those uptight "metal is the only music" ass's.

Quote by zekk
Just making sure you were one of those uptight "metal is the only music" ass's.

I play metal but i don't try to force it on anybody. I like it because it challenges me as a musician, Punk does not.

JACKSON

i don't think that punk is a genre that relies on high quality guitars or musicianship. i guess something with 'buckers would be good for a few power chords.
Quote by joeyramoney
i don't think that punk is a genre that relies on high quality guitars or musicianship. i guess something with 'buckers would be good for a few power chords.

HEHEHE

JACKSON

Quote by joeyramoney

i second this
Quote by joeyramoney

I third this.

But it never hurts to have some good gear incase you ever change styles.

a les paul studio is the way to go. they are cheaper, and they are all you need, less ornamentation (binding, fancy headstock inlays) basically a basic rock machine.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville