I'm thinking about getting either an Ibanez S series or RG series guitar. I'm looking at these because I want the fast necks they have and the floating bridge. This brings me to my questions: what are the differences between the different necks on these range of guitars and the differences in the tremelo bridges? Also, what's their quality like? Things like Edge III vs. Edge Pro II vs. ZR etc. Basically I want to get the best guitar I can for the money and do intend a little bit of whammy abuse since this will be my first GOOD floating bridge guitar. Please help me out, thanks in advance.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
I have a ZR, which I hear is good, but it's the only floating I've tried. I like it and it holds tune, so I guess it's good.
Dickless.
Edge 3 and Edge Pro 2 suck. With that said, ZR's, EDGE, EDGE PRO, LO-PRO are excellent trems. S470 comes with a ZR, but it has 22 frets.

If you want 24 frets, go for an Ibanez RG1570......

If you dont mind 22, s470 is excellent as well.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Well out of those 3 mentioned, the ZR is the best. If the guitar has a ZR, Edge, lo-pro edge, Edge pro, it has a good trem. Keep in mind the ZR isnt the same as most trems, it has les range but a smoother feel.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
^ I wouldnt say the ZR is better..... Its ....different.....

I'd take an original edge over a ZR.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Thanks guys, this is exactly the help i was looking for. I pretty much wanted the bridges ranked in order of quality. I guess I should have said that in the first post. Thanks again.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Also stay clear of ibanez Lo-TRS and Lo-TRS 2 trems.... They're the worst.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
^ I wouldnt say the ZR is better..... Its ....different.....

I'd take an original edge over a ZR.

I meant out of the 3 he mentioned (ZR, edge pro 3 and 2).
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Oh, my mistake.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Hmm, you want them to rank in qualities huh, ill do you a favor then (quality worst -> best):
- Double locking trem (dunno what Ibanez was thinking, equipped in the old RG250DX)
- Lo TRS-II (worst LFR in Ibanez's production,wobbly and clunky arm)
- ILT1 (slightest effort of Ibanez upgrading the Lo TRS-II, still wobbly...)
- Lo TRS-I (still aint good but is better than Lo-TRS II and ILT1 since the arm isnt wobbly/clunky)
- Edge Pro II (Ibanez answer to "expensive"*sarcasm* replacement for Lo TRSs)
- Edge III, some know them as Edge Pro III (Ibanez way of avoiding the $17 per trem to Floyd Rose)

Drawing the line of the best LFR IMHO --------------------------------------------------------
- Take your pick...Edge, Lo-Pro Edge, Edge Pro, 2003 Edge Pro, ZR, Double Edge. All down to preference, all are equally good except how they feel and their action.

Edge Pro II and Edge III can fight for the 5th position, i dont give a damn.
Im not touching the normal trems like SAT10, FAT10, SAT Pro etcs.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Aug 3, 2006,
Thanks dude that's all I need to hear, what to stay away from.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Stay inside the "best" line and ur ensured for life
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
People enjoy moaning about edge pros all the time; how many of you have actually used one - one that you own, not some **** that a thirteen year old has beaten the crap out of - for any length of time? Or is it just things you read?

I have heard bad things about the edge pro III - however, I have never used one so I can't comment. I do, however, have an edge pro II and its not of the **** quality people seem to lump it with. It is perfectly stable - once I have new strings and have them in tune I won't need to unlock the tuners again. It has good sustain. It feels nice against your hand.

The only complain that I have is that sometimes the arm becomes a little loose and needs to be tightened, but that's it.
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
^ How long have you had the guiutar?

Theres no such things as an Edge pro 3, its simply Edge 3, and yes i HAVE played an edge pro 2, infact a buddy of mine has a RGT42.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
^ How long have you had the guiutar?

Theres no such things as an Edge pro 3, its simply Edge 3, and yes i HAVE played an edge pro 2, infact a buddy of mine has a RGT42.

I also have an RGT42, I've had it for coming up to two years, but I know someone who has had one for much longer.

I'm not saying you can't take the piss out of it if you've properly played one on a guitar that's well set up etc., its just I sense a lot of people just hear that the Edge bridges are crap and they don't have one so obviously they're proud that their bridge is obviously so far superior...
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
Quote by orangeacid
I also have an RGT42, I've had it for coming up to two years, but I know someone who has had one for much longer.

I'm not saying you can't take the piss out of it if you've properly played one on a guitar that's well set up etc., its just I sense a lot of people just hear that the Edge bridges are crap and they don't have one so obviously they're proud that their bridge is obviously so far superior...

I hope you mean Edge Pro 2, because noone talks crap about an Edge bridge.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Yes, its a good tremolo system but the quality isnt so great. You can set it all professional all you want but the fact that its made out of cheap material isnt gonna wash away. Hell, even i got the ILT1 bridge and it stays in tune fairly, but the fact that its entry level trem is there. You cant compare the Korean Edge Pro II/Edge III to the Japan Edge, Edge Pro etcs., its just impossible. The Japan used superior and prime material as its base.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by ClassicAxe
I hope you mean Edge Pro 2, because noone talks crap about an Edge bridge.

I have heard multiple people say that 'the edge bridges are crap'.

And I know that the IIs and IIIs arent as good as edges and the lo-pro edges but as far as I can tell they're not as crap as people enjoy making out
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
Quote by madpickin03
Yes, its a good tremolo system but the quality isnt so great. You can set it all professional all you want but the fact that its made out of cheap material isnt gonna wash away. Hell, even i got the ILT1 bridge and it stays in tune fairly, but the fact that its entry level trem is there. You cant compare the Korean Edge Pro II/Edge III to the Japan Edge, Edge Pro etcs., its just impossible. The Japan used superior and prime material as its base.

Ahh. Well, this is where you can help me out - as said I have had my guitar for coming up to two years and so far its fine and I can see no faults. So when can I expect to see anything substantial?
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
as far as the bridge goes, it's pretty satisfying. with floating bridges in general, i kinda dislike the string insertion mechanism (not sure of the technical term), but it's good for tremolo.
Quote by orangeacid
I have heard multiple people say that 'the edge bridges are crap'.

And I know that the IIs and IIIs arent as good as edges and the lo-pro edges but as far as I can tell they're not as crap as people enjoy making out

Then they're retarded, as far as im concerned the Edge is better than an OFR.

As far as your edge pro 2, i guess their hit and miss. My friends must be a miss.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by orangeacid
Ahh. Well, this is where you can help me out - as said I have had my guitar for coming up to two years and so far its fine and I can see no faults. So when can I expect to see anything substantial?

Sigh, i dont really know how well you abuse your trem, or how often you use it and how far you dived it. There isnt any actual "expiration" date on those trems. If the trem is good, then it'd probably be in good hands from the factory and straight to your hands. You also have to know that RGs from Korea arent shipped inside cases, they're shipped inside cardboard boxes and god knows where they've been to.

Arriving to stores/local GCs there're chances that an incompetent clerk would try to mess it up or better yet, some emo kids come to the store and said "wohoo look at me im Steve Vai". There are numerous of debates about this all over Ibanez's site/fansite like jemsite and still do now. If you like it, then what can i do, most percentage of ppl who actually buy these guitars have this kind of problem, hence why the all the bashings.

I have tried the Edge III and it doesnt hold tuning at all, but some may wrong me and saying its good and he'd been using it for a long time, just like you. Im also thinking of buying the RG350EX coz well, im poor and couldnt afford the RG1570. I dont care if the Edge III doesnt hold its tuning after a lot of dives coz i can just replace it with an OFR/similar.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I've heard the ZR is pretty damn good. I like the Edge, but I'm biased because I have a JEM, and well... that's what it has.
My Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Washburn X50PROFE
Crate FXT120
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Line 6 Gear Box (for recording)

My Music
ZR feels kinda different and sorta like "springy" IMHO coz it uses ball bearings instead of normal knife edges.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Yea, I tried the ZR, the action is pretty smooth due to the use of ball bearings instead of using those knife edges, which also means there is less of a need to replace or lube parts.

Is there a website that compares MOST of the trems mentioned?
^Yes that would be really helpful. Anyone know of any sites?
Gibson SG Special Ebony
The reason people jab elbows at the range of the ZR bridge is that right now they only occur in paperthin S bodies. The routing of S tremolo recess is not very deep, and that limits the range of ZR.

For example, the pull-up range of Edge on my S540 is exactly the same as the range of ZR on ex-my S470, while the range of Edge on my RG570 feels like twice as much as both of S bodies.

Not that it matters much what exactly is the limiting factor, but it's not the ZR which has a low range, it's the S series which has a shallow trem recess. When (if ever) they'll start putting ZRs in, say, RG, it'll have enough range to cover eastcoast to westcoast in one pull.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by orangeacid

how much do you use your trem. My lo-trs knife edges wore away after about 3 months of vai-style use. (different trem, granted, but after this there's no way I'm touching one of the cheaper ibby trems again)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?