heyy everybody

i was just wondering if anybody could give me any advice on how to improve my soloing and improv in general. Like i have a jam track and i know what key its in and i know the appropiate scales to play over, the only problem is i have trouble making the lead "sound good" and "breaking out" can anybody give me any help of advice on how to improve in general
Hi, Im Chris

"I'm glad my band has low standards that way we can't underachieve" - Joe Strummer
One lesson I had focused on that but we were improving over a ii7-V7-I7 progression, and just shifting it down one semitone after two passes, it is a little jazz progression, so yes, it is very cheesy, kind of like elevator music, but it helps.
One thing that helped me a bit was to just try some more bizzarre stuff, sure playing purely scales sounds good, but it sounds mundane, try mixing it up, throw in some notes that don't belong for something that grabs attention, try using some funky chromatics, just lead up to your note in key with a bunch of quick ones that may or may not be, try to think outside the box, don't think what you can and should do, think about what you can't and shouldn't do (theoretically speaking, not literally...well maybe literally too...), and try them, usually you'll get stuff that don't sound so great, but you'll also get some stuff that sounds neat. Just go for it, don't think too much about it, feel it more than anything, it sounds cheesy, but it is kinda true, play what you feel is right, not what you think is right (if that makes any sense).
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Also, for some outside techniques, try here! https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405011

For some weird ideas: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220004

Do you know the chord progression in the backing track? That's even more important than the backing track, because you can focus on chord tones that way.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje