Ok, so where would I put the braid stuff (that "soaks" up the liquid metal) when I heat up the solder?

All around it, or just at one point.

Could you maybe re post that pic, but use like... blue line to point out where I should put it? thanks.
you put it on top, then you apply the soldering iron on top, it will wick up.

and that braid is called "wick"
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
So when I solder, I put the tip of the iron on the thing i'm soldering stuff to? IE the little metal parts that stick out of the switch, not the sloder itself?
in your orinigal post, you asked about desoldering, taking the solder off. now you are asking about soldering.

so what do you want to know?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Both, because I'll be putting in a new switch after I take the shitty one out.

When want to melt the solder that's on the switch now, what do I touch the tip of the soldering iron to? The solder, or the little bits of metal that are cominf from the switch?
^To desolder, touch the wick to the blobs of solder, and then put the iron on the other side of the braid. To solder, heat up the joint, and then hold the solder up to the place you want to join it.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^To desolder, touch the wick to the blobs of solder, and then put the iron on the other side of the braid. To solder, heat up the joint, and then hold the solder up to the place you want to join it.

What's the joint?

Sorry for being such a soldering n00b.