Page 1 of 2
OK, so I get my first electric guitar in January 06'. I had gotten pretty good on my acoustic guitar since I had gotten it two years earlier, but that guitar was ****. My parents seems to have the attitude that you need to learn on a terrible guitar to be any sort of good guitarist, which i think, is total bull****. So my brother was cool enough to save up some money to buy a reasonable electric guitar from the 80's by a brand called Westone, pretty decent guitar, except for the fact the my parents, 7 months later fefuse to let me have an amp. Both of them seem to think that an amplifier is a gimmick; a big overpriced, really loud speaker for a guitar that would shatter windows with its volume and that contributes nothing to the tone. My birthday is in September, and they wont even give me one for my birthday. Even if there was some way for me to save up money (which there is not, my parents don't give me allowance or pay me for chores.) they wouldnt let me buy one, which is ****ing riduculous, its my money and I can spend it on an amp if I want to. So I'm stuck playing a solid peice of wood that I can barely hear. So what are you guys thoughts? How important is an amp too an electric guitar? I realize alot of tone comes from your skill, but how can they expect me to become a better player if they wont support me at all and I cant hear my self?

Thus Spoke Zarathustra; "Hip Hop is dead", for its pity of mankind
The amp is well...very, very important. Almost like one half of a whole, the other half being the guitar itself.

Keep trying to convince your parents...
or muder them in their sleep
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
for an electric guitar, an amp actually makes it sound the way its supposed to, why would pickups be such a huge deal in a guitar??. Its like having an acoustic without a sound hole.

try to educate your parents without sounding objective in getting an amp and all, i doubt youll get a big gigging amp anyway becuase youre aprents wouldnt really let you practice. So get a nice small amp with a headphone jack, im sure youre parents will appreciate you practicing with a quieter guitar through headphones than an acoustic that projects sound naturally. Bummer situation, good luck though.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by i_baked_cookies

Get a job though.

I'm thirteen, plus I dont look like the most reputable person.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra; "Hip Hop is dead", for its pity of mankind
EDIT: ^You're 13? Not going to be easy finding a job then. . .hm. . .dress as a homeless child and beg for money, if you see a child services worker, run.

Get a job, if it's your money they can't stop you. Unless one of your parents is cosigned onto your bank account then you have to take out your paychecks in cash and hide the money until you can get an amp which then you sneak into the house and don't tell them about.
Compromise with a headphone amp.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
lol, thats quite funny but ahem. Yes, urm biggest convince is... "why do you think they call them electric guitars"
^^ until u start cranking it up like i seem to do in the middle of the night...i start with the volume relatively low and i'm like..whoa needs to be louder...til the volumes at 5 (which is pretty loud) and my parents come downstairs yelling...

ne way just get a practice amp, but makes sure the distortion is good or u will never use it *cough* my amp *cough* (though now i ahve a gnx3 so w00t
No offense, but your parents must have been living under a rock. If they really think an amp will shatter a window, how about you show them music that doesn't? Like some B.B. King or something. Surely that should help a little. If not, give them an attitude and bitch at them. And if you already do, then do it some more.
Quote by SultanOfSwing
I'm thirteen, plus I dont look like the most reputable person.

That still doesn't mean you couldn't find work to do or something.. plus you wouldn't have to pay taxes.

Get a decent amp, though.
Ouuuuu, you could buy a multi-effects pedal and play it through headphones. You get = pretty good tone with tons of stuff to play around with at a decent price, they get peace and quite. Everybody wins.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Do you parents listen to music?

If so, you should tell them "guess what, they had to record that using an amplifier. You know, the thing I don't have to expand my musical knowledge with".

By some time, it should get through to them that music is really important to you, that you just don't want to be loud and annoy people, but actually convey a message.

If this doesn't work, take up the trumpet. Then your parents would much rather have you playing an amplified guitar than a squealing, bright, and loud instrument that disrupts their evening cocktails.

It appears your parents are douches like that.
I learned guitar almost 90% unplugged. Its do-able if you have the ambition. An amp is only necessary if you want a) volume or b) a certain tone. You can hear yourself without an amp, just go to a quiet place. I think it was Joe Satriani who said most of the time at home he plays without an amp. Maybe if you're impressive, they'll buy one for you?
get a small practice amp, like 10 or 15 watts.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Go to the streets and hang outside some rich people's houses, they might give you symphathy and adopt you or give you lots of money.

Worked for me.
^
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Well if they didn't buy you an electric guitar, getting one and saying you require an amp wouldn't change things.

Get a job or play your acoustic.

Also, i'm sure the point of playing a cheap guitar first, is so that you can appreciate the more expensive ones more.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
man that sucks... my parents got me my first electric... my first amp... new electric and new amp. the amp is fairly big(75w solid state) and they get mad when i dont crank it cause its a waste if i dont. they also love hearing me play, love hearing me jam and actually come listen in...
^lucky bastard. i had to earn my gear. i bought my rig with my own money (most of the money i got was through gifts from Christmas, Birthday and 8th graduatioon. so really i guess i really didn't earn my rig either lol)

edit: o yeah threadstarter to make money just go downtown to where 7th ave meets mainstreet and hore yourself out to fat chicks and paedophileic men.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Just say that if you dont get an amp for your birthday you dont want anything and wont celebrate it, if they have a soul they'll buy you an amp.
My Gear:

Ibanez Prestige 1570L
LH Fender Standard Stratocaster Arctic White
Ibanez Gax 70L
Roland Cube 30X
Vox V847 Wah
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal

RedSox are better than you.
Man im jealous do you know how long it took me to save up for a 75watt amp. And im lucky to get the volume over five without someone yelling to turn it down
At night, I usually play it without the amp, but... You're parents are being rediculous here. An amp is absolutely neccesary.
Thats harsh. I had to buy my guitar n amp with my own money, but i'm still paying my parents back lol(its been 4 months, $400). They like it that im learning an instrument. Tryed busking with your acoustic in town? Simple tunes amuse simple minds. Simple minds being the people who are going to pay you for busking.
I play my Fender Frontman on volume 1 at night through a pedal on volume 2 out of 100, it's only audible because I sit right next to it. Amps don't have to be loud, at all.
kill your parents in their sleep with a hammer, take the money out of your dads wallet, go to a music store and buy the loudest amp you can afford.... just kidding... don't do that, because you don't want to go to prison

you need an amp, its just better with one, find a cheap amp, even if its a small pocket amp. it would have to be better than nothing.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Get some guitar modeling software on your computer and maybe play through your computer speakers.
get a job and pay for it, they cant do sh*t if its your money, you worked for it, its yours, it would be different if they paid you to do chores/allowence bc techincally its still there money, so then just get a job
I'm in a weird situation my parents want to buy my gear. They always say that they want to pay for my stuff as long as I play it. The problem is I don't want them to I like the idea of working and saving and buying with my own money it makes the guitar more important knowing you worked for it.

To the thread starter you can try showing your parents how important an amp is and if that doesn't work.
I have seen small pocket amps for $20.00 or $30.00 at guitar center. You might be able to afford one of those and hide it from your parents if need be, but don't worry i'm sure that they will realise how important the amp is for you.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Switch to drums for a month. Your parents will change their minds real fast.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
buy a small amp...hide it under your bed...play it quietly so they cant hear it...affter a few weeks...let them find it...and just say "well i've had it for Blank amount of time...has it bothered you?"
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Quote by flesh fries
buy a small amp...hide it under your bed...play it quietly so they cant hear it...affter a few weeks...let them find it...and just say "well i've had it for Blank amount of time...has it bothered you?"

Aha, genious

Quote by wylde_overdrive

Really though, that is really stupid. Do they know how an electric guitar works even?

aparently not, he doesn't have an amp

In that case, maybe you should try to explain to them how the guitar works, in a very calm manner. And don't bug them about it either.
Well, I could do it, to the best of my ability, as to where they understand it pretty well, but that would take a while because i like to be descriptive and i really don't feel like typing a novel just to simply tell someone how an electric guitar works. I think you got it covered

Quote by kurt_cobain9
Well, I could do it, to the best of my ability, as to where they understand it pretty well, but that would take a while because i like to be descriptive and i really don't feel like typing a novel just to simply tell someone how an electric guitar works. I think you got it covered

What? Who are you talking to? I'm directing all of this to the threadstarter.
Page 1 of 2