Page 1 of 2
Hey all . I have been working on a Marshall SupaFuzz with Volume Boost and a ColorSound ToneBender MKII Pro. These I have built for two people. I am very close to finishing these pedals. They are on their finishing touches like DC Jack, Power Switch, Enclosure.

I will have to do like triple post because it keeps freezing up when I try to do all of the pictures. Very sorry mods.
So I will first start off with the ColorSound ToneBender MKII Pro.... Here we go:
Circuit Board:

Underside:

With Offboard and Germanium PNP Transistors:

Germanium PNP Transistors:

Finished Board:

Finished, Ready For Testing:
Now for the Marshall SupaFuzz with a Volume Boost:
Fuzz Circuit and Underside:

With Volume Boost and Underside:

With Some Offboard:

Germanium PNP Transistors:

Finished Board:

Board Ready For Testing:

Thanks all for now guys. They sound great! Soundclips later.
nice nice...but nothing compared to what i just finished,...

a 4 led circuit for my amp
ooooh

looks good, are the enclosures gonna be posted?

ps, not familliar with soldering onto a board, do you just push the connections through to the other side and solder over enough to cover the connections?

if theres something im missing or should really get, can you explain please?

thanks
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Last edited by powerage225 at Aug 4, 2006,
Thanks guys. Yea the first pedal I did (Marshall BluesBreaker), I made it so power is on when you plug in. But the second one I changed my ways. I will go back and mod the BluesBreaker when I feel like it. :P:

powerage- The enclosure pics will be posted when I drill them and mount. When you solder to a board, you put the component through the holes you want, and then solder it in on the other side so it stays there. If your using perfboard, you need to take the leads/wires to connect parts to the right places. I am using a veroboard/stripboard so you have to solder everything to the whole and everything in a row is connected. You have to cut the copper traces most of the time in some places.
Man thats nice clean work! Good job.

It makes me think that I should really get into this stuff. Is it really that difficult?
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Its a bit difficult at first because of the soldering iron and positioning it right. PCB is the easiest solution for a first build unless you do a simple boost pedal on a perfboard. Its not too hard, but it does get frusturating when you have tried everything and it wont work. Usually though its just the smallest problem that you cant see. My problem was that I had the transistors in backwards, and couldnt find the problem. I found it and switched it and it worked great! What a relief. Just keep everyone on here up to date so that if you have problems we can help.

EDIT: Im sure its way easier than your guitar/bass customizations and builds.
kerry dude thats amazing i wish i could do that. *cough* you should teach me *cough* i agree with the sumoftwo sounclips

good work
I will get soundclips today probably. I dont get into trouble but I feel that all this stuff is on the internet, and if Marshall or Colorsound is going to post their schematics on the web, its free game. Heres a thread that was discoused on this matter and if you read the first guys post it totally makes sence.

"what if someone asks you to build a pedal based on someone's design? I don't see any problem with charging them for parts but what about labor? What's the difference between making a profit and charging for my time and effort?"
YAY a few soundclips!!! Ok now this is the Colorsound ToneBender MKII Pro. This is only a temporary box to test it out. I dont have the LED mounted yet either. Oh, and dont mind the knob settings, they are just laying on there, so whatever setting it says is wrong. haha.

1. Paranoid (Just a bit of it. Fuzz- Full, Volume- Full): http://media.putfile.com/Paranoid-15
2. Panama (This uses the ToneBender but also uses my Marshall BluesBreaker to give it a little bit of boost and more treble. At the end, you will hear me turn off the ToneBender and the BluesBreaker will be on for a second and you will hear that its only giving a little boost.): http://media.putfile.com/Panama-63

EDIT: dont mind my double post...
Some of the solder joints on the bottom look hazy, but nice job. I personally would wire it up inside the enclosure though, because you can keep the wires shorter and therefore have less hum.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I cleaned up in between the strips. I will drill the bigger enclosure today so I can mount it in there. I like to keep it seperate from the enclosure until the end. And theres no hum so its all good.
Wow man...that sounds awesome.
Hopefully I'll have the money right when I sell my crap. Untill then...broke. Sorry.
thanks again, sounds nice
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Ok. Yea it does sound great. Its one of my favorite fuzzes. Sell your stuff quick. Cant you just borrow some money from the parents...

Chill
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Ok. Yea it does sound great. Its one of my favorite fuzzes. Sell your stuff quick. Cant you just borrow some money from the parents...

The customer is always right.
My mother is sick. Should I strip her of eighty dollars she can use to buy medicene?
She is also a widow, and paying for every single thing in this house herself. Please think of the customer first. It's not like you're sending me the pedal untill I pay you. I already explained why it is difficult to sell my things at the moment. Please be paitent.
i am patient, its just that you ordered this saying that you would buy it and now its like you are putting it off. i want to sell it to you, but you should have told me this from the beginning.
I may be interested in a 1800 pedal myself. Do you think you could pull off a (edit): Bluesbreaker? You've already done one, I know.

I'm getting ahead of myself, I have to get my money first.... (soon I hope... and after I pay of the $450 I owe my dad )
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at Aug 5, 2006,
poochy, i PMed you about the BluesBreaker...

and everyone else, I have finished the ColorSound ToneBender MKII Pro. Its in the box and working great! I will post pictures tomarrow. As for tonite, i am extremely tired.
ColorSound ToneBender MKII Pro Finished!
Picture Update:

Sound Clip Update:
These soundclips also use the Marshall BluesBreaker in most parts to give a tiny boost in drive and equal out the fuzz's bassy tone.
Yngwie Malmsteen Riff 1 (Coil tapping activated on the PRS. I think this is a quite nice Yngwie tone. Fuzz- 12:00, Volume- Full. Also uses BluesBreaker): http://media.putfile.com/Yngwie-Malmsteen-Riff-1
Yngwie Malmsteen Riff 2 (Coil tapping. Same as above): http://media.putfile.com/Yngwie-Malmsteen-Riff-2
Stairway To Heaven Solo (Ehhh... shut up ): http://media.putfile.com/Stairway-Solo
Could you make a dmusic page for all these or something? Mediaputfile never plays for me

I love how you do all these pedals yourself, I think I'm going to now, I used to do stuff with electronics, So maybe I'll give it a look

BTW - where do you learn how to build all these, do you have some kind of diagram or something?
Last edited by shorter_rocker at Aug 22, 2006,
The putfile links arent working? I may set up a Dmusic in the near future.

I find schematics and stuff off the internet. www.schematicheaven.com is great for schematics, www.tonepad.com , www.generalguitargadgets.com , www.runoffgroove.com , www.diystompboxes.com .
Hey I'm ordering parts for the bluesbreakers - using generalguitargadgets.com - what did you use for a circuit board?
There are layouts...no step by step instructions.

That black box is terribly layed out. Try stepping on the button in a dark room without bumping the knobs.

Plus grounding the case is always a good idea, I know it may not hum where you live, but around here, everything hums like hell, we have a huge radio tower up the hill. It's in the interests of your customers to ground the cases.
I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything.. but seriously if you're gonna post soundclips of you playing and demonstrating your equipment, please play something that you know how to play properly, rather than assuming you know how to play a song only for it to sound totally ****house therefore casting a totally bogus light on your probably decent equipment. Please pay Yngwie the proper respect and spend some time actually learning the song, rather than noodling on with egotistical, nonsensical bull****. Apart from that, your equipment sounds pretty cool. Can't play for **** though.
he's 14 dude, please do post us some soundclips of your playing, and do it with a video camera so we know that theres no editing, fair doos you may be better than him, but those videos arent meant to show his playing ability, their made to show how the equipment sounds, and you dont need to know a song note for note to show that. Please try not to flame as soon as you arrive on the forums.

kthxbi
^^ You start off by saying "I don't mean to be a jerk" then you go on to be one. No wait, worse yet, a raging douche bag.

Like thesumoftwo said, "those videos arent meant to show his playing ability". So get over, move on, and keep your dumbass comments to yourself. Like you said "your equipment sounds pretty cool" and that's all that should matter in this situation.

Souds great 1800.
Hai UG!
I agree with pink, having the stomp switch so close to the knobs might not've been the best course of action (although sometimes design quirks reveal themselves at the last minute). That and the dc jack on the side facing the user can be problematic. Although, everything looks very nice and clean.

Then again, who am I to critique? I have a blank hole (which was supposed to be the input) in the side of my mctube. And the input is right next to the stomp switch, going in from the top! I should get a right-angle plug for that. (I really, REALLY did NOT plan the layout of that properly...).
Page 1 of 2