my top ten favorite female bassists (in no order):
1. johnette napalitano (concrete blonde) - my bass idol!
2. jennifer finch (L7) - she rocks my face.
3. maya ford (the donnas) - she also rocks my face.
4. michie nakatani (shonen knife) - saw her perform live... rocked it.
5. annie holland (elastica)
6. d'arcy (smashing pumpkins)
7. melissa auf der maur (hole, smashing pumpkins) - an inspiration to me.
8. rayna foss-rose (coal chamber)
9. kim deal (the pixies)
10. gail ann dorsey (david bowie) - good player, and cool lookin', too.

now, tell me your favorite female bassist(s)!
Gail Dorsey ala Bowie. Funky. And it always looks like her 6 strings are bigger than she is.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Gail Ann is my fave. She is by far one of the coolest bassists, male or female ! Patricia Day is great, as is Sheryl Crow (yes, she plays bass!!). I also like Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads and last but no means least...Carol Kaye, the best female bassist ever imo
Gaye Advert from the Adverts who were around for all of ten minutes
Charlotte from the Subways : )
D'Arcy from Smashing Pumpkins
This one, couldn't figure out her name, she played with Bright Eyes..
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Chalotte Cooper and The Magic Numbers' bassist whose name I can never remember.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Applehead
I also like Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads

i think Tina was great. she also co-fronted, the Tom Tom Club.
the bass player for the B-52's in later years was also good.
Hahahahaha. I read the first one as Janette Napalitano.........Who is in the fact the governor of Arizona.
I am Puddin' Taine! of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join!

Member #1 of the Ipods Suck Balls Club

Member #2 Of the Parker>All Other Brands Club, PM dementedpuppy to Join.
D'Arcy (Smashing Pumpkins), Melissa Auf Der Maur (Hole, Smashing Pumpkins), and Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads) are the only female bassists that pop into my head, but they're very good
Quote by METALHEAD8465
Hahahahaha. I read the first one as Janette Napalitano.........Who is in the fact the governor of Arizona.

.......Please tell me you're from AZ, because if you aren't and just know that, well...that would be crazy.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Carol Kaye, hands down.

She played on many of the West Coast hits from the 60s and early 70s, including songs from the Beach Boys, the Monkees, and some Motown stuff. She even played on that funky later period Brady Bunch theme music!

She's still around and still playing bass.

She was the first female session bassist to come up the ranks and be considered one of the best, and she set the standard for all female bassists to come, whether you know her or not. If you are a female bassist, you must acknowledge her for being the first.

There a few modern rock pioneers out there, like D'Arcy, Aimee Mann, Kim Deal and Tina Weymouth.

N'dege O'Cello is also a great bassist. So is Rhonda from Prince's group. They are definitely not root note thumpers--and they rock the house.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
I'm sorry to say this a necropost and has been discussed already in many, many threads since 2006...