OK i wasnt sure where this thread would go and i thought this was the best place. anyways ive been playing the guitar for a little over 2 years now and ive always wanted to play the mandolin too. they're just cool lol. my question is would starting the mandolin open my eyes to new things to the guitar or will it mess with my head and screw me up.
Houses Of The Holy "Holy Man" of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join
I just started playing mandolin, and I think it's great...I mean, why the heck not? It'll definitely improve your all-around finger strength and such, and perhaps give you a different musical perspective...the tuning is different, of course, but it hasn't been too difficult for me to adjust...I've only had the mandolin for about a week, and I can already play a few chords and scales and such...also, I've noticed a slight improvement in my guitar skill...
So I would say go for it...

Cheers...
Quote by houseofllama
I just started playing mandolin, and I think it's great...I mean, why the heck not? It'll definitely improve your all-around finger strength and such, and perhaps give you a different musical perspective...the tuning is different, of course, but it hasn't been too difficult for me to adjust...I've only had the mandolin for about a week, and I can already play a few chords and scales and such...also, I've noticed a slight improvement in my guitar skill...
So I would say go for it...

Cheers...

is it much different than guitar? like the tunings and chords.
umm...actually, just playing any instrument will help u in ur guitar playing skills in one way or another.
ok ive decided im going to get one then. i have about 200 bucks. any suggestions on one?
Well the tuning (high to low) is E-A-D-G...so it is a bit different...the chords are a bit different in that since you've only got 4 pairs of strings to deal with, you'll only have to use 4 frets for any one chord(duh...hehe) So the fingering tend to be a bit more cramped because of the size of the frets and the closeness of the fingerings...I haven't been able to do a lot of the chords yet, but I've only been playing for about a week...but with time, it is relatively easy for a guitar player to take up the mando...
Mandolin requires a tighter, more accurate picking style, so you'll prolly have to work on that...I know I have...
yeah i dont plan on getting it off ebay, thats just like the one im lookin at in my towns music store. its going to cost me 20 dollars more than the one on ebay but atleast i'll know it sounds good and is in one piece
It is just an upside down tuned guitar, kind of like stringing your guitar for a left handed person if you are right handed or playing it left handed while strung for a right handed person, I guess a twelve string would be more applicable since a mandolin has eight strings correct? It is kind of fun sometimes, and shredding on one is always fun once you get the upside down shapes down.
Ive been wanting one for a while, i pretty much owned the one at guitar center till some dick went and bought it!!! HE BOUGHT MY MANDO, lol.
i totally reccomend it
Quote by les-is-more
yeah i dont plan on getting it off ebay, thats just like the one im lookin at in my towns music store. its going to cost me 20 dollars more than the one on ebay but atleast i'll know it sounds good and is in one piece

I would suggest getting an authentic one (i.e. for bluegrass music and such), instead of brands like fender or epi. The one I have is a Kentucky, and it blows away the ones I've played in my local guitar shop.
yeah, that's prolly good advice...
the only reason I got a Fender was that the price was so good I couldn't pass it up...
Kentucky would prolly be a bit better suited towards bluegrass than a fender or epi...
not sure what the difference in price would be tho...
those Kentucky mandolins are really expensive, i think musicians freind sells some of the cheaper ones. Micahel Kelly and Gibson both make excellent (and also expensive) mandolins. However the Fender ones ive played and that bad, and the elctric ones sound badass when you distort them.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
yeah they arent all that uncommon really ive seen quite a few of them at guitar shops.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm