I play mostly classic rock, and I have this crappy Crate 15 watt amp which has terrible distortion, and no overdrive whatsoever, naturally making it bad for classic rock tones. So I was wondering if I should shell out $300 for Fener Pro Junior, or get a 100 watt amp with overdrive on it?
I'll eat your family if you don't buy it. Tube amps are the way to go.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
yea tubes do make a difference, theyll give you that classic warm rock sound your after.
Go play one and you'll never ask this question again.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by love_O_rock
Go play one and you'll never ask this question again.

2nd
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.
the first time i played a tube amp, i felt blown away. i mean, before trying out tube amps, id been playing stuff that looked cool and sounded, well not so cool. i loved the sound my friend got from his fender amp (pretty decent SS one), then when i played a fender blues junior i realized that the nice cleans on the other amp were just trying to be like the cleans on the tube amp. really, you just have to play different amps for yourself and see what you hear (did that make sense?). some people actually do like SS amps better, so your best bet is to try out some SS and tube amps in the same price range to see what does what. i think youll be pleasantly suprised by the tube amps.
Quote by jof1029
the first time i played a tube amp, i felt blown away. i mean, before trying out tube amps, id been playing stuff that looked cool and sounded, well not so cool. i loved the sound my friend got from his fender amp (pretty decent SS one), then when i played a fender blues junior i realized that the nice cleans on the other amp were just trying to be like the cleans on the tube amp. really, you just have to play different amps for yourself and see what you hear (did that make sense?). some people actually do like SS amps better, so your best bet is to try out some SS and tube amps in the same price range to see what does what. i think youll be pleasantly suprised by the tube amps.

+1
I had a fender cyber deluxe (which i still like) but i went into my attic and i saw my dads old tweed princeton from the fiftees. I always heard that tubes sounded better so i wanted to try this out, so i brought it down, plugged it in and I shat my pants. it had this chimey sound that i had never heard before! I then put the two dials that the amp had to 10 (tone and volume and they go to 12 so i wouldnt blow it) and i heard "overdrive" and then i peed my pants. I then decided to buy a tube amp myself, and got a recto. Then i jizzed my pants. And then i went out and bought earplugs and new underwear.
lol I have yet to play a tube i'm gettin a SS first
\m/ >_< \m/

\m/ Laceration \m/

Quote by CSguitarvocal
I wish a thousand Lex Steele rapes upon you...

Quote by shawnson
Nuthin' like 12,000 inches of negro penis in the bum to set your musical taste right.
Quote by Vomitorator
+1
I had a fender cyber deluxe (which i still like) but i went into my attic and i saw my dads old tweed princeton from the fiftees. I always heard that tubes sounded better so i wanted to try this out, so i brought it down, plugged it in and I shat my pants. it had this chimey sound that i had never heard before! I then put the two dials that the amp had to 10 (tone and volume and they go to 12 so i wouldnt blow it) and i heard "overdrive" and then i peed my pants. I then decided to buy a tube amp myself, and got a recto. Then i jizzed my pants. And then i went out and bought earplugs and new underwear.

Nice sounds cause you lots of bodily excretion.
I'd save an extra hundred bucks and get the Blues Junior, the Pro Junior is a bit... well... lame.
yeah i always doubted the fact that they would sound so much better, then one day i walked in and was playing a spider II because of the reviews, and some guy cranked a dual rec and i felt like a little guy getting banged in jail? his tone was just overpowering, and i thought holy **** thats what ive been missing...my next purchase will def be a tube combo
Quote by jof1029

I know its feckin sweet when you first play a tube amp! lucky for me my first tube amp i played was a mesa boogie dual rectifier i got to crank it up. man it was seriously better than sex! :P
Yes, valve amps are worth it, but save more and get a Blues Jr, Por Jrs are quite crappy.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
if you ask this question then you're probably not ready for tubes, no for you it's not worth the money IMO.
You're playing classic rock? Yes tubes are essential
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
If your gonna be rough with it like I am with my amps then a ss would be better. I kicked in the fabric that covers the speakers in a fit of rage and had someome throw my ss amp down the stairs. I dont think a tube would have survived that. But Yes Tubes do have much better tone, but in my opinion they are more fragile.
Quote by cubedeathk
If your gonna be rough with it like I am with my amps then a ss would be better. I kicked in the fabric that covers the speakers in a fit of rage and had someome throw my ss amp down the stairs. I dont think a tube would have survived that. But Yes Tubes do have much better tone, but in my opinion they are more fragile.

So dont be a douche bag and take care of your equipment.
why do they even make ss's, they can't even compare with tubes
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
Quote by dimebag_love
why do they even make ss's, they can't even compare with tubes

I think youve only ever played real cheap ss practice amps. Some of these high end modeling sss are extremely good nowadays to the point where you cant even tell its not a tube.
they make ss's for beginners or peopel who are on a tight buget, peopel who can;t have a loud 30watter tube in their apartmenet, they amke em cuz they sell, they make em cuz some people actualyl leik teh sound of ss(theyre insane though)
BTW: i hate ss, im all tueb all the way, but i was just showing why they make em. nothing soudns better than a high gain tube amp cranked. instant orgasm