Page 1 of 3
I didn?t realize that modding and painting a guitar wouldn?t take all of Summer so, and as I said towards the end
of my previous (first) mod thread Ippon's Strat Mod, I was planning to do the opposite of a vintage-looking guitar.
From a vintage-type Daphne Blue Strat ...

to a Crash-style Strat.
(Note: the above is my first project. I will use a different body for this Summer Guitar #2)

For those unfamiliar with Crash, he painted 3 of Clapton?s Strats using Krylon. This is fine with me since it's
half the price of DupliColor. Yea, it?s not for everybody ((*R_H_C_P*) but it?ll be a good exercise in
patience, masking, blending, cursing as little as possible, and besides, I *like* the design. I want/hope
to build a Strat from parts in a week.

Thursday, 08/03:

Brief story: The body was scored from the quarterly neighborhood garage sale. It?s from an older American
Strat and the owner was planning to install Gold hardware ? except the parts he got were non-American
size. To fix it, he filled up the holes (still noticeable), got distracted, and fortunately, never drilled the holes for
the smaller, import gold hardware. The sanded/sealed Alder body ?

The first coat

Here?s the neck ?

After experimenting with masking and painting 3 or 4 times

I just got back from 2 hours of Judo and 3 hours of BJJ so I'm off to bed. I'll post pics of some of the other
hardware that I'll use. I'll have an early start tomorrow. Comment? Questions?
Last edited by Ippon at Aug 5, 2006,
Not too bad! At first I thought you were making your blue Strat you made into a crash one....

I just don't like that design you posted (the other crash ones are ok, but you chose the worst one!!!), but your real life version is a lot nicer looking, I actually like it!

Good luck!
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Friday a.m., 08/04 Update

Another fantastic day so I was able to put in the last major color ? Added the Purple ?

Removed the masking ?

I wanted to see the general effect of the different colors I chose and a ?goosehead? with a blue beak wasn?t
doing anything. At about 7am Pacific, after 30 minutes of drying, I sanded out the blah colors/sections,
masked off the dark areas, and re-painted.

Even though the instructions say the stuff would be dry anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, I advise
caution. Underneath the almost hard layer, the sandpaper starts snagging chunks of paint material.
Here?s what I have - more Orange, more Yellow ?

It?s about 10:30am Pacific and I?ll remove the masking in about 30 minutes to examine the damage.
So far, it feels like I?m on track to getting a complete Strat in a week. The potential hold-up is
getting the lefty neck set up as a righty, cutting the paddlehead to shape (maybe not) as a righty, etc.

Questions? Comments?
thats sweet.....did u jsut mask off random places and then spray?
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Looking very nice...i would go crazy with all that masking
Quote by Raven
i would much rather go to the ****ing hospital and have them surgically reattach my penis instead of slap some silly puddy on there and call 'er "mangled johnny"
Quote by V12prowler
thats sweet.....did u jsut mask off random places and then spray?

Almost Noon Update:

Actually, the masking was planned in a certain sequence. I could've done it more efficiently by using templates for the brightly colored area. Why I didn't, *shrugs* or because of too many things going on, distractions, etc.

BTW, Krylon can be hostile to use .... lots of "spitting" if you just follow the instructions to shake the can for a few minutes. However, some of the random, tiny blobs of paint in the unexpected areas are looking good .... so I might not clean or remove some of those

Lesson Learned:
1. Shake the can 3 to 4X longer than the directions OR
2. Microwave about 2 cups of water and let the can warm up in there for about a minute ... no spitting!
very nice. It looks like you filled the holes for the neck screws.

Are you using the Fender Lace you initially planned for the first mod?
it looks, okay im not crazy about the design you picked though, and what pups are you using?

i think you need a les paul, you have like 5 strats now but this will be cool to build it from parts, it would be kinda weird but maybe cool to leave it as a lefty headstock
Very nice! it was a really fast mod, you almost finished the painting already!

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Quote by FenderMIJownz
very nice. It looks like you filled the holes for the neck screws.

Are you using the Fender Lace you initially planned for the first mod?

I don't have the 4-bolt neck plates but I do have 2 other 3-bolt neck plates ... one with the Fender logo and the other with the F.

Will use the Fender Lace PUs I originally intended for the Daphne Blue Strat mod.
Quote by Teleprompters
it looks, okay im not crazy about the design you picked though, and what pups are you using?

i think you need a les paul, you have like 5 strats now but this will be cool to build it from parts, it would be kinda weird but maybe cool to leave it as a lefty headstock

Have a Gibson LP and an Agile 3000M LP copy but they're pretty enough

Yea, will leave it as a lefty ala opposite of Jimi; however, I need to get a slotted nut to replace the one it now has.
Quote by UniverseZero
Very nice! it was a really fast mod, you almost finished the painting already!

Yea, just scuff sanded with 200 grit, filled in the dents, then sanded and primed.
How is the headstock working I dont understand is it just going to be a reverse fender headstock?
Quote by Ippon
Have a Gibson LP and an Agile 3000M LP copy but they're pretty enough .

oh sorry, ive only seen your strat styled guitars i guess, wow, you have awesome gear though, what amp do you have?
are you goin to put a fender logo on the headstock or leave it blank or what?
what about the pickguard?
Quote by Bombtrack
How is the headstock working I dont understand is it just going to be a reverse fender headstock?

It's a Lefty headstock with a Lefty nut which I'll replace with a Righty nut ... so the reverse of a Jimi Hendrix.
Quote by Teleprompters
oh sorry, ive only seen your strat styled guitars i guess, wow, you have awesome gear though, what amp do you have?
are you goin to put a fender logo on the headstock or leave it blank or what?
what about the pickguard?

Have a Fender Hotrod DeVille. Won't use a Fender logo since the neck is all wrong (see the back of the headstock)
I do have another Fender '62 maple/maple though.

Mini Update:

Friday, 08/04 Final Update:

After lots of taping, re-spraying, color changes, blunders, oversprays, etc., here's what I got and where I'll start off tomorrow to clean up.

Lesson Learned:

1. Trust your initial plan and stick to it. In my case, I wrongly thought that creating a template (my plan) for the goosehead would take too long. Masking, re-masking, etc, because of the errors took even longer.

Because I didn't stick to the plan, which was solid in the first place, I have to re-mask the orange and yellow area and re-spray again.

COmments? Questions?
Quote by Fast_Bear
XD Kickass! You, sir WINS! This is a very creative and abstarct coloring design that just looks sweet!

Satin or Highgloss finish! And what about the pickguard? o'o

Thanks. I'll clearcoat the PG for protection, although it'll get scratched eventually.
Quote by UniverseZero
looks nice! I want to see a picture with the pickguard on plz!

I still haven't captured what I was envisioning but I've got a couple more days to "experiment." The pic with the PG and body will be taken later. In the meantime, here's the ...

Morning 08/05 Update:

I finally cleaned up some of the overspray, some I intentionally left just because. Somebody must've slipped some bad mojo while I was dreaming last night because this morning, I sprayed this insane pattern of squares in a diamond shape

*yikes*

I've covered the area that looks OK (not fantastic) and will cover the idiocy in a few minutes. I hope interested folks with slow DL speeds won't get discouraged by the pic-heavy thread. Got new batteries and I'm ready to take tons of pics
WILD!!!

The white covered pickups you plan to use should look good with that painted scratchplate. Good contrast. As far as the knobs, black on black would look great tho white knobs on the black area would work too. Good job!

Saturday, 08/05 Update:

Finally removed the diamond pattern of squares that didn't do or contribute anything to the look of the body. So, with new batteries, here are more pics ....

4 different colors, lots of blending.

More in a few ...
I want/hope to build a Strat from parts in a week.

Looks like you know what you're doing and you're on schedule to finish this puppy in a week. Looking forward to more pics.

This would qualify for the fastest mod/build if you pull if off ... I like how it's all action and results unlike some of tthe more blah blah blah threads. Whattever happened to passport?

Quote by 370HSSV
Looks like you know what you're doing and you're on schedule to finish this puppy in a week. Looking forward to more pics.

This would qualify for the fastest mod/build if you pull if off ... I like how it's all action and results unlike some of tthe more blah blah blah threads. Whattever happened to passport?

Thanks. That's the plan.

Final 0805 Update:

Here are the additional pics I just got from the camera ...

with the PG ...

Continued:

with the reverse headstock neck ...

with the Fender Rosewood/Maple neck I used to initially test that the components would work/sound nice together ...

I was all set to start the clearcoating when disaster struck. I had the body on the couch when the neighbor's rat of a dog (Chihuahua) jumped up the coach, stepped on the body, shed some hair on it, and put a scratch.

I was ready to drop kick him but he was rescued by the neighbor. Forget the clearcoating. I'm done for the day.

Dang sorry about the disaster! Can't stand those yappy ratdogs myself. Anyway, it looks like an easy fix. As somebody else mentioned, what an awesome job so far.

And you work dang fast!

wow ippon that looks great i thought it would look like **** you proved me wrong

i love you cause your builds are quick
Quote by The Toad Licker
wow ippon that looks great i thought it would look like **** you proved me wrong

i love you cause your builds are quick

Thanks! I actually fixed the little incident, just a few sprays of the black paint. I just installed the neck and this baby is sweet!!!

I love the mids on this thing, almost Claptonesque. Gotta look at his mid boost thing from GuitarFetish, etc.

Anyway, the Gold and Chrome hardware presents an interesting look. But it doesn't look "together."

Question to the UG's GB&C

For the hardware: Gold or Chrome?
^^ Agreed! This is the fastest build I've seen so far and it looks so clean. Even tho it hasn't been clearcoated, it looks so shiny. Can you do a brief rundown of the major steps?

Since you asked and since that guitar will attract a lot of attention and only an attention \/\/hore can pull it off, go with GOLD hardware!

How much did you spend for parts?
Yea, Chrome looks like the best way to go. Here's the list of hardware I now have:

1. 1 Chrome Fender USA vintage style (6 screws) bridge and no whammy bar
2. 2 Gold Wilkinson USA vintage style (6 screws) bridges with whammy bars
3. 1 set of Gold Fender vintage Kluson tuners
4. 1 Gold jackplate
5. 2 Chrome 3-bolt Fender neckplates
6. 1 set Chrome Fender non-vintage tuners

If I go Chrome, I need a jackplate and whammy bar and if I go Gold, I need a neckplate. Will check out GC land local shops later today and see if they have anything inexpensive.

Thanks.

'62 style headstock>Green Day>Reverse Headstock

And in my opinion, strats weren't made for gold hardware.... chrome all the way!

Really nice, I love the way the paintjob ended up.... is there a site that has all of the crash guitars?

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
more yellow on the front, possibly on the pickguard, theres to much purple! and definitely chrome hardware, and i think it would look better with the ebonized neck than the maple and that rosewood one doesnt fit in at all, but i like it though its not really my thing, good job though
Quote by Teleprompters
more yellow on the front, possibly on the pickguard, theres to much purple! and definitely chrome hardware, and i think it would look better with the ebonized neck than the maple and that rosewood one doesnt fit in at all, but i like it though its not really my thing, good job though

Yea, I installed Chrome hardware based on the feedback here. Although it's a little late for more Yellow on the PG since I've clearcoated everything and assembled the complete package.

This project is complete ... 4 days from start to finish!!!

I don't have the camera right now but I'll post the pics when I get back from my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu seminar and some surfing.
Quote by UniverseZero
what neck will you use at the end?

Will use the reverse headstock, as is, since that's what attracted a certain UGer to make an offer.

You can barely see the Fender Lace Sensor label on the PUs below and the wiring harness I used came from a '62 RI ...

wheres the chrome?

I don't like the reverse headstock thing, but if you will be selling it then... why not?

I got a new project for you ippon, summer hasn't ended yet!

lol... that would be an amazing guitar..... imposible to paint but in the end, amazing....

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
Page 1 of 3