OK so I got in a discussion with a guitarist I know, he was telling me there is no reason to ever buy a new guitar. His idea was that you just change the pick ups. I tried to explain to him that there are different types of electronics and all that good stuff. But I sorta just ended it there cause I am no expert on this subject. So if you guys could please just give me some more reasons I would be really thankful I know this is probably the lamest request , but try to hide the laughter and help me out.
Last edited by H20Bass at Aug 4, 2006,
Um because "why not"? Id rather have new stuff because its new. Nother more. Its like...YOURS if you buy it new. And I like that feeling, knowing that its your own. I dont know. ..
well...its more of an opinion based thing...i myself dont mind buying used guitars at all...however a new guitar is nice to own every now and again
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
because older guitars that have any sort of play time on them will most likely have worn down frets and dead spots and all kinds of possible neck problems not to mention the hardware in the bridge used to adjust it only lasts so long before an alen wrench just starts spinning around in circles and stripping the **** out of everything worse

Edit i do like a guitar with a bit of history to it though dont get me wrong but me personally id like to be the one to wear in a guitar for myself
Quote by flesh fries
well...its more of an opinion based thing...i myself dont mind buying used guitars at all...however a new guitar is nice to own every now and again

Well in my post I wrote like why get a new guitar at all the guitarist I was talking to implied that there was nothing different between any two guitars than there pick ups... so maybe that helps.
People buy New because the chance that theres something wrong with it is miniscule compared to buying used. However I got a new Epiphone LP 100 and the switch was f**kd up when I got it and it's gettn worse.

fu man chu: Nice sig
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
ok ok ok maybe I wrote this wrong but I am not buying a used guitar compared to an old one.... I am talking about whether to buy a new guitar or just upgrade the one you have i.e. changing the pick ups.
H20Bass.... ill put it this way if you put sprinkles on a peice of ****, its still a peice of **** its just shinier unless your talking actives which sound like oprah winfrey deficating no matter what you do to them unless your zakk wylde which leads me to believe that the man has a thing for whale vagina
I know but what makes one guitar better than another guitar. Why are you willing to spend a 1,000 more dollars on a guitar than this other one? Cause basically when it comes down to it this guy is the cheapest lil **** in the world and he figures that there is no difference between guitars other than their pick ups. I am just really trying to get backing for a counter arguement. Or maybe just simply let him read this thread.
Quote by H20Bass
ok ok ok maybe I wrote this wrong but I am not buying a used guitar compared to an old one.... I am talking about whether to buy a new guitar or just upgrade the one you have i.e. changing the pick ups.

much better, different woods have different resonant qualities. I am going to buy a new guitar because the one i have is from 93 and if i continue to play only one guitar as much as i have i will need new frets quite soon.
Some guitars play faster than others, some guitars are made with better woods, different woods can give different tones (If you're looking to piss the guy off, tell him he's too noob to notice a difference in sound if he says that's BS), electronics (pots, wiring, etc), finish quality (Some axes have crappy paintjobs), quality of the smaller parts (My 150 dollar guitar's nut just broke, the pickup selector knob fell off, volume knob is lose, etc), tuners, sustain, action...

Basically, the difference between a $1000 guitar and a $100 guitar is this:

The 1000 should play faster, better, have better sustain, shouldn't go out of tune as much, the tone should be better due to the quality of the wood and craftsmanship, nothing should need resoldering on the inside due to high quality electonics, the stock pups are probably going to be better, etc.

Your friend is a noob. If he tries to counter your arguments with "Oh man, sustain doesn't matter, who cares about the craftsmanship, wood type doesn't matter.", just shove it in his face and call him a n00b.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

what do u actually mean by plays faster?
\m/ >_< \m/

\m/ Laceration \m/

Quote by CSguitarvocal
I wish a thousand Lex Steele rapes upon you...

Quote by shawnson
Nuthin' like 12,000 inches of negro penis in the bum to set your musical taste right.
I dont mind buying used guitars, but I'd prefer new. Although used to have certain character you have to check them out completely before chucking your money down. Nothing worse than buying a used guitar and finding out the trussrod is slightly damaged or the electronics are retarded or only one pickup is working etc