I'm looking for a really low watt amp, roughly 5W give or take a few for home practice, plus I like the variety. I would prefer a head as I am currently building a 1x12 cab loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30 to use as a second speaker for my TSL601. I will also use this cab with whatever little tube amp I get, if it's a head I will. The Vintage 30 will be 16ohms to match the TSL so whatever amp head I get will have to have 16ohms.

Now I know about The Epi Valve Jnr, and I can source a Valbee and I'm also waiting to see what the new low wattage Orange amp is going to be like. Are there any others I should check out? Pretty much looking for a smooth old school hard rock tone with a little gain. I'll have an overdrive pedal too.

Any suggestions? Maybe an opinion on one of the amps I mentioned?

Cheers guys
Epiphone Valve Jr.
And the Orange one looks very interesting.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah I'd pretty much decided on the Epi and you guys have made my choice a little easier. I think I'll wait though to at least read some feedback on the Orange but the Epi had always caught my eye. Thanx again

And Dale, how's things around the castle these days?

EDIT: Just found a couple of places taking orders for the Orange 'Tiny Terror' 7W/15W and they're like £289.95 + shipping to Australia if they even do it, that's getting up towards the price of my TSL and it's gonna cost me like 4x as much as the Epi so I think the Epi will have to do if there is nothing else in the same sort of class.
Last edited by treagar at Aug 4, 2006,
Bet you it would drive a 4x12 cabinet, too. Me and the owner of a guitar store nearby my house were screwing with a Fender 15w tube amp, 1x10 and it was driving a Marshall VS cab no problem. Actually sounded pretty good because you really had to crank the amp and I guess the speakers liked that it the cab.
Just a FYI.
It might have been a 10w, I forget, but it was small.
Yeah I've read stuff from people that bought the 5W Epi only to be disappointed that it was too loud, like to crank the valves it was a lot louder than they wanted. I'd love something >2W but without making my own I think it might be a big ask.

EDIT: oops I mean <2W
how much cash are you talking about?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've heard good things about the Orange, but I've never tried one. Same for the Epi for the price, I imagine there are a lot of mods out for it too, I know I saw stuff like the standby mod right after it was out.

I've been drooling over for a Zvex nano amp for a while now. It sounds incredible, but it's a little pricey at $440USD.
http://zvexamps.com/amp_view.html there are samlpes and a demo vid at the bottom.

Here's another vid I saw, where it's used with an AC Booster and an RC Booster from Xotic. It's labeled as "Zvex Nano head and AC/RC"
http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/video/michael_thompson/index.html
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Dave_Mc
how much cash are you talking about?

I don't have a budget as I'm planning to get it soon, if it costs a little more then I wait a little longer that's all but I don't want to overspend on a practice amp if you know what I mean.

The Zvex Nano sounds perfect but yeah probably a tad more than I wanted to spend, time does funny things though, thanks for the tip.

I'm so excited too, music123.com delivers abroad and nearly everything on their site works out a lot cheaper than buying it local here.
^ so you don't have a budget, but the zvex nano head at, what, $400?, is too much?

You have a budget, man. I was going to recommend a cornford hurricane, lol. That's about $2000+.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No what I mean is I don't have x amount put aside for an amp but I also don't wish to spend some crazy amount for a practice amp. US$440 is a little more than I had expected to spend but who knows after hearing the Epi I may decide it's well worth spending more cash, just testing the waters at the moment and summing up the choices. The missus would have my nuts if I went and spent US$2K+ on another amp, it was hard to convince her an Epi LP and a TSL combo were a good idea and that wasn't long ago. I don't record or even gig yet it's just to play around with at the moment, I love toys

But seeing as your such a nice guy Dave for you I'll set my limit to say US$500, I say that because I've been thinking about the nano and the Orange today while at work and if I can swing some more Saturday overtime (that's my spending money, she has no say on that!) they might be another option. I'm still thinking the Epi too as it is priced more like a toy should be but hmmmmm decisions, decisions. It's gonna be hard trying to round up music stores here with them available to try too which is gonna make it hard. I'm not going to know whether it's worth paying 4x the Epi cost for a 0.5W amp, or whether the Orange at 7W will still be too loud for what I want etc.
^ arg, you're banned, but I'll answer here and you can view it without logging in.

At the $500 price range, I'm not sure how many more options there are. fender blues junior, laney vc15, traynor ycv20 would all be worth a look, but at 15 watts, they may not be "practice" amps. at full blast, they're going to be pretty loud, just not "100 watt halfstack" loud...

at the really low wattage, you could look at the epi, the zvex, the matamp minimat, that little orange, and probably some others I haven't thought of. I haven't tried any of them, though.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?