Hello, I'm kind of confused here as to the first thread in this forum. "The Q and A thread"

It said in there that 100W is all the power I will ever need. Well I have a backline112 combo 100w amp, I got about 3 months ago and I wanted to buy a bass cabinet. I had my eye on this one: yeah

Now it says it can go up to 1200w, is my 100w amp going to be enough to make this cab play to its standards? Or am I going to have to buy a 450w bass head to go with it.

also if someone could explain this whole "how a head works with a cabinet" thing that would be very helpfull as i think I missed it in some of the stickies. thx =]
Get a better cabinet. You need an amplifier to power the speakers. That's what the head does. In a combo the amplifier is built in to the cabinet.
I think strictly speaking any wattage below the 1200w will work fine. im not an expert on bass amps. I think its diffrent for guitar amps and bass acctualy need much more wattage. If your combo has a external speaker outage should work fine.

I think you should prolly get a 450w head and the cabinet to be honest though. hopefully someone will be a bit more helpful
Because of the low frequencies the bass has, it needs a lot more headroom than a guitar amp, therefore needing a lot more wattage. You might be better off buying the 450W head and cab and just using the Backline as a practice amp.

Edit: From Wikipedia - "For bass instruments, higher-wattage amplifiers are needed to reproduce low-frequency sounds. While an electric guitarist would be able to play at a small club with a 50 watt amplifier, a bass player performing in the same venue would probably need an amplifier with 200 or more watts."
Last edited by Cadd99 at Aug 4, 2006,