So I wasnt sure where to post this thread but here goes:

I bought a Squire electric guitar a few months ago when I had my own place but recently I have moved back home and now I have no where to practice without getting screamed at for making too much noise! So I borrowed a friend acoustic and used that to practice instead and I got to like the sound of an acoustic and also got screamed at less often as it wasnt as loud.

So I was thinking whether to sell or trade in my electric and get myself a half decent acoustic guitar to learn on - Ive herd a few people saying that if you learn on an acoustic its easier to switch to electric than it is the other way round, which kinda makes sense because I found it harder at first to hold down the strings etc on the acoustic than it was on my electric, but it got easier with practice.

Just wondered if anyone could give me some advice? Also is it best to buy a brand new acoustic or would a second hand one be OK?
Member of The Darkness fanclub
I was there for SD's cocksucking forum, August 15th, 2006.
The Cas Fast Foundation - pm draken to join and support cas on his 30 food free days.
I don't know whether someone would buy a second hand squire and for the money you get if you trade you may not get a decent acoustic. Can you not get headphones for your amp?
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
the first 4 years i played it was on an acoustic .. im am really glad i did it that way .. it seems to me that since i learned everything on an acoustic my style is really smooth and clean .. cause you know , on an acoustic theres no distortion to cover your ass..
Ive got some cash aside to put towards another guitar, maybe I'd be best off keeping hold of my Squire; like its been said I wont get much for it and even tho its a Squire I like it

Headphones is a good idea but I usually have friends round at mine and its a bit ignorant to stick my headphones on and play away plus I kinda got into acoustic once I started playing and people said that I'd learn more by starting on acustic aswel.
The Cas Fast Foundation - pm draken to join and support cas on his 30 food free days.
Dont ditch your electric. It's not easier to switch from one type of guitar to the next. Playing on acoustics and electrics are different skills entirely. You dont need a halfway decent acoustic either. A cheap 70 dollar one is good to learn on as by the time you get good enough to make it sound good, you will sound amazing on better guitars. That's just my opinion though. Either way, don't ditch the electic--keep it, practice on it, and add your acoustic to your play cycle. You'll be glad you did later.
You won't learn more. You might learn better but i have no idea why people say you learn more, i mean what exactly are we learning more here? Anyways on topic, keep the electric. Just play on clean with the volume down.Its not that hard. If you have neighbours that get bothered by that tiny amount of volume well, its not your problem is it? Save up to buy an acoustic if you really want one.
Quote by kelix
So I wasnt sure where to post this thread but here goes:

I bought a Squire electric guitar a few months ago when I had my own place but recently I have moved back home and now I have no where to practice without getting screamed at for making too much noise! So I borrowed a friend acoustic and used that to practice instead and I got to like the sound of an acoustic and also got screamed at less often as it wasnt as loud.

So I was thinking whether to sell or trade in my electric and get myself a half decent acoustic guitar to learn on - Ive herd a few people saying that if you learn on an acoustic its easier to switch to electric than it is the other way round, which kinda makes sense because I found it harder at first to hold down the strings etc on the acoustic than it was on my electric, but it got easier with practice.

Just wondered if anyone could give me some advice? Also is it best to buy a brand new acoustic or would a second hand one be OK?

I ditched my electric guitar out of boredom 7 months ago. I havent looked back once. I think people underrate and completely ignore how valuable good acoustic skills are. For one thing, most people grab an acoustic and have 2, maybe 3 strumming patterns, which sounds boring as hell. And when you see these same people grab an electric, they still have only 3 strumming patters, plus maybe some PM. But they cover that up with distortion. I think acoustic is to the bare untrained ear a much more demanding instrument. Most people go "ooh cool" when you grab an electric and make any sort of crap, as long as it's distorted. Its not that easy to impress people on acoustic. I dont really know how i was planning to tie this up into a cohesive answer, but my point is, acoustic is much better than electric to hear your playing without any make-up whatsoever.
Quote by SwabbyThePirate
... jesus. i've seen the light. fake plastictrees, you are a godess among men.

(edited for awesomeness)

Quote by fallenangel20

Thou shall have own opinons on music, and if one disagrees, shall keep his penis trap shut.
Thanks for all the advice people

Think I'm gonna keep hold of my electric and invest in an acoustic too, I know I wont learn more on acoustic but after playing acoustic for a couple of weeks my electric just seemed easier to play

Im enjoying both at the moment so its all good