Use a metronome daily. Practice your scales. Warmp up with excercises for both hands. Learn a song that will build confidence and make you want to play more.
Quote by bass-clown
hi,

I need help with bass, i have just started playng and i was woundering if anyone could give me some tips or help???

Just get to know the instrument. If you encounter any problems, ask.
Practice practice practice, that is the only way to get better
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
When I want to be inspired I listen to Jaco, Hamm, Sheehan and so on, I know their music is way beyond anything I could ever create but it inspires me to try new things and gives me ideas.

Also, like Chili said, practice practice practice, it's the only way you'll get better. Try and learn theory, buy instructional books and videos, use a metronome, learn scales, listen to music that's focused on the bass. Broaden your musical horizon, listen to music you never have before and hear how their bassists play. What I always did and still do sometimes is get a notebook and just write down everything I make up.

And I might get flamed for this, but, don't be inspired but only bassists, I watch a lot of shred guitar videos and listen to how guitarists play, I study Guitar World magazines since nobody around here carries Bass Guitar. I read the lessons and advice columns, I use thier techniques and alter them to fit my playing and the bass guitar.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219

And I might get flamed for this, but, don't be inspired but only bassists, I watch a lot of shred guitar videos and listen to how guitarists play, I study Guitar World magazines since nobody around here carries Bass Guitar. I read the lessons and advice columns, I use thier techniques and alter them to fit my playing and the bass guitar.

Why would we flame you for that? I'm subscribed to Drum World and Guitar Player magazine, and I don't own a drum kit or a guitar

Play the scales, and then take those scales and use them in your own songs. Write songs bassed off the notes, and write chords using those notes. If you keep playing the same notes with different chords, the whole writing process will become much easier.

Learn and memorize the scales and modes. That doesn't mean just know how to play them. Know what each one sounds like, and what feeling it has. Also know how to relate the scale's positions and notes to one another. For example, know how you get
from a Lydian mode to a Dorian mode, and what the notes have in common to one another (the order, etc.) Really know the scales/modes inside and out. If you play guitar, learn your chords as well.

The one thing that will really hurt your playing is bordom. If you ever feel bored while practicing anything, then you are doing the wrong thing. Change up your practicing technique. Also, challenge yourself. Sign up to play shows when your not really ready, try out for different music groups, and always keep yourself open to new genres of music. This will help you stay on your feet.

If you keep playing the same music by the same band, you will never progress as a musician. Try different genres, get to know bassists in other bands, and get to know how each instrument relates to the other. Like, how the bass and drums need to be intertwined to make a good rythm section. And how the guitar and vocals hold the melody in the song. By learning different genres, you will get better and become more experienced.

If you can afford or find lessons to get, you really should. It really really open you up as a player. You will be helped by player with experience, who has been in the same spot as you. They will help you out and keep you moving and progressing as a musician.

I hope this helps somewhat. Just remember not to get bored.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by mcra7xra
play with a pick. once you kick ass, try your fingers and slapping.

No.

Play with whatever feels comfortable. Although you should start with your fingers and a pick (alternating between them.) To find out which you like more.

It will be a long time before you get "kick ass" because as you get better, you realize how far you still have to go.
I was just a little uneasy about admitting I'm influenced by...guitarists. It seems like it would be a sin in here, imagine if a guitarist admitted being influenced by a bassist in their thread? They'd have to call the fire department after all that flaming.

I guess you're right though Incubus, I shouldn't be worried.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10