So I'm looking for a new amp and I want to know what you all think about these two amps. Like what are the differances between the two (aside from wattage) and which one is better for what. Oh, and what is the difference between two leads and three? Thanks in advance.
The TSL is more of a high-gain amp. It has a more modern tone. The DSL has less gain and is a slightly more vintage-voiced amp (although it's still a little modern sounding). I prefer DSL's (they have more of the classic Marshall tone) although, neither are particularly great. DSL and TSL combos aren't anywheres near as good as the stacks. WHat msic styles are you looking to play and what's your price range?
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
My range is anything under like $800, and I play a wide variety of music, but mostly rock and alternative. Bands range from Guster, Dispatch, to Third eye blind to Zeppelin and Clapton. Nothing extremely heavy, Metallica is as heavy as I play and even then I don't play much of it.
I'm with nic on what the marshalls sound like. I'd guess he'll recommend a traynor ycv50 blue, and while I haven't tried that exact model, judging by the other traynors I've tried, it's worth a try, at the very least.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
.......I'm just gonna go ahead and recommend a Traynor YCV50 Blue now. Seriously, it's a great amp. It's kind of like a Marshall JCM800 combo, only darker sounding and with a wider range of distortion. Here's a link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075
^ haha, i know, i wasn't taking the piss about the traynors being good, nic, the ones I've tried have been very nice, in a "just below boutique, but a lot better than mainstream *cough Fender/Marshall*, but for a similar price to mainstream (in the USA/Canada)" kind of way . I just can't really recommend it if I haven't tried it, lol.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a DSL 401 and I love it to bits. I can't compare it to the TSL you're talking about 'cause I've never heard it.

Anyway, I can get great classic rock and 80's rock tones out of it especially with my TS808 tubescreamer.

There are 3 channels. One clean channel and 2 lead channels. One of the lead channels is around 20dbs louder than the other. I find it really handy for a bit of extra volume for solos.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ haha, i know, i wasn't taking the piss about the traynors being good, nic, the ones I've tried have been very nice, in a "just below boutique, but a lot better than mainstream *cough Fender/Marshall*, but for a similar price to mainstream (in the USA/Canada)" kind of way . I just can't really recommend it if I haven't tried it, lol.

Just out of curiousity, what models did you get to try? YCV40? I played a YCV40 and a YCV20 fairly recently (I had tried the old YCV40's awhile back, but this is the first time I tried the newer models). They were pretty good, but i wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Cleans were similar to the Blue only seemed a little brighter and the OD channel sounded brighter too. It also didn't seem to have the crunchiness to it. You should try to see if you can find a YCV50 and give it a spin. They really are impressive. It's basically what a Marshall DSL should be.

^ aye, the 40 and the 20. I asked the guy in the shop, the 50 wasn't even in the shop's list of available models for some reason. Though I've seen it advertised in shops in England and Dublin, but I'm not driving to Dublin to try one amp, lol (if it were in the centre, that'd be fine since you could take the train and then do the other (guitar and otherwise) shops, but it's on the outskirts).

But yeah, if, as you say (and I have no reason to doubt you) the 50 blue is better, then the 50 blue gets a thumbs up from me. The 40 reminded me of what a hot rod deluxe wants to be, while the 20 was nice in a more vox-y kind of way. EDIT: but as you say, they weren't amazing. Just "good" to "very good". To be fair, though, they'd be a lot better for the price you get them for. They are quite dear here, because of shipping, customs etc.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 5, 2006,
Man the DSL's dont get nearly enough credit. seriously they are good amps, and they might not be good value in your country, they sure as hell are over here.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel