Can some one give me an idea of what effect's and amp settings I would have to use to get the Trebely watery distortion in Rape me's begining, and then the heavy distortion in the other parts?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Roll down the volume knob on your guitar for the start, and then turn it up (both using a gain channel), see if it makes a difference.
Not sure what Kurt's amp was, but the beginning part seems to just be a regular clean channel cranked so it is just about to distort, but not quite (this only works on tube amps for the most part). And maybe just some reverb.

Then for the higher distortion just the amp's own distortion. Play around with gain and EQ til you find it.

edit: just did a search. On 'In Utero' Kurt used a Fender Twin Reverb and Boss DS-1. And Fender guitars of course.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Last edited by rockxwl at Aug 4, 2006,
IM actually gonna say its chorus because i know Kurt was a big fan of the EHX Small Clone
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by madmk
Damnit, just use your ****ing volume knob.

Dammit, IT DOESN'T ****ING WORK! So shut the **** up and leave if you don't wanna help.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
that watery sound is from the EHX small clone and soem reveb, i dont know how he got the distortion but yeah the volume nob thing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
The intro is just amplifier gain with a tad bit of chorus, and then the heavier part is either a DS-1 or DS-2 distortion
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Just listened to it (for the 137th time).
The intro is just the clean channel with some gain and the Chorus parts are heavy distortion. He did use DS-1's on the album and live.
Effects?????
Quote by rockxwl
edit: just did a search. On 'In Utero' Kurt used a Fender Twin Reverb and Boss DS-1. And Fender guitars of course.

Yeah it's the same amp he used on the Bleach album. It was just a litte tiny ass amp cranked to 10 on everything with a DS-1 cranked all the way. I read about it in a magazine...

It sounds totally awesome though.