i have read a few reviews and it is very mixed, for absolute sh*te to amazing... i was thinking about getting a sound blaster audigy 2 ZS platinum pro, have any of you got one and had bad experiences with it?

Spanks,

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
i have an old audigy 1. and its great. no probs with the software or hardware. good for creating music and gaming.
its just that its not made for recording.

im sure its great for gamers and all, but for recording, its ****.

Adam
i record on a sound blaster 24 bit HD its pretty old but for home recording its not to bad. but i wouldnt use it for puting your bands songs on the internet or anything. but the audigy should be good
Rock on
Audigy (and all SB products) have some serious issues with lag, ASIO and other "professional" functions.

Look into a soundcard made especially for recording. You can find them for the same prices, or even less... if you shop around.
Quote by Bill43
Audigy (and all SB products) have some serious issues with lag, ASIO and other "professional" functions.

hahahahahaha thats bs.

all professional sound blaster products are practically made for ASIO.

my sound blaster audigy which is like years old and very cheap now can process effects in realtime at 7ms and record at a 48khz sample rate, so go figure what these new x-fi cards can dish.
hell we're in the the 4th generation of audigy cards too. i have the first one.

Quote by adammarshall409
its just that its not made for recording.

im sure its great for gamers and all, but for recording, its ****.

Adam

its got a line in jack, go figure. ^^^^^

all my songs on http://neptune.dmusic.com/ were recorded on this sound card. listen to "there is a voice" or "Thing 21" recording quality is not an issue. all bedroom recordings
Last edited by NeptuneUK at Aug 6, 2006,
Sound Blasters lag waay to much, and also arent really made for recording ^pretty much all soundcards have line in jacks^ SBs are probably the best out there for gaming but for recording you can do so much better for the same price.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
For recording through soundcard, I'd go with the External SoundBlaster, it's amazing.
Quote by NeptuneUK
hahahahahaha thats bs.

Lets put it to a test. Your soundcard against mine. Record anything you want and I'll guarantee mine will sound clearer, crisper, punchier... you name it. What I have will blow SB's "BS" (as you so eloquently put it) out of the water.

I do know of SB's problems with ASIO. I've done quite a few "professional" reviews of their crap and for the money you're wasting on a gamer's card.... you can actually buy something that will do a great job without any extraneous garbage that as SB willl give you.

Are you man enough to take on this challenge... because I'm calling your bluff!

Post the specs to your SB... if you have the balls... then check out post numbers 2, 4, 9 and 14 in this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301566

Top those specs. Go ahead and try.
Quote by Bill43
Lets put it to a test. Your soundcard against mine. Record anything you want and I'll guarantee mine will sound clearer, crisper, punchier... you name it. What I have will blow SB's "BS" (as you so eloquently put it) out of the water.

I do know of SB's problems with ASIO. I've done quite a few "professional" reviews of their crap and for the money you're wasting on a gamer's card.... you can actually buy something that will do a great job without any extraneous garbage that as SB willl give you.

Are you man enough to take on this challenge... because I'm calling your bluff!

Post the specs to your SB... if you have the balls... then check out post numbers 2, 4, 9 and 14 in this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301566

Top those specs. Go ahead and try.

hey! we should really do a recording comparison!

I'm getting a spankin' new X-Fi Musicsomething card in my new comp which arrives sometime soon.. I hope..

I've been bummed out on people who praise soundblasters for recording too. would be nice to be able to prove there's quite a bit of difference.

if you wanna set something up for real send me a PM and we'll see.
all im saying is, i have a £10 sound card that records at a decent sample rate and doesnt lag when using ASIO, 7ms is fine for me. and not audibly noticable
Last edited by NeptuneUK at Aug 6, 2006,
^ Its okay. But I am quite serious when I say that SB's blow for any type of semi to mid or even professional recordings.

I've been recording music for going on a bit over 28 years now... once I heard what true digital recording was, I went "all out" to find the best I could afford. I've tried every SB under the sun and they might be fine for you, but not for me. I can hear the difference quite easily.

Go ahead and just listen to a song or 2 in my meager repertoire posted in my sig. Each one of them were recorded with no less than the exact sound cards I've "reviewed" in the linked thread above.

To rasker

What would that prove unless the X-Fi Musicsomething card is a true SB?
Neptune. youre recordings sound like they were recorded on a sound blaster. i think that settles this debate over how its such an awesome recording device. its not. so shut up.\
i dont think you know what youre going on about.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
Wow... you 2 guys need to cut it out.

Please notice that I've been deleting the posts. Just let it go.

FWIW Burningfeather... I'm 46 and have been playing guitar (among many other instruments) since 1972. For the record, I've been recording myself and the bands I've been with since 1975, but I cut it down to when I actually went to the "pro" end of recording as a studio musician.

I actually get paid to produce, record and play quite a few songs a month. Its not a bad little thing I have going here, but that's my life.

To rasker

What would that prove unless the X-Fi Musicsomething card is a true SB?

it is a true SB, that's why I thought it would be a nice idea. it's actually the "top of the line" SB card right now, meant to handle recordning. so it would be the-best-of-the-SB against a real audio recording card.
Quote by rasker
it is a true SB, that's why I thought it would be a nice idea. it's actually the "top of the line" SB card right now, meant to handle recordning. so it would be the-best-of-the-SB against a real audio recording card.

Okay then. You're on. It will be an easy little contest for me!

Let me know when you're set. The rules will be that no one, including us, gets to listen to the recordings until we have completed them and posted links to them at the same time.

I suggest that we do this under one of the contest forums. I prefer original songs, as covers just blow IMO. Anything goes.... I have a bit over $70,000.00 in recording equipment... let's see how well the X-Fi can stand up to some of the best I have.

PM me with any other details you want to hammer out and then I'll post it in the contest forum. Me against you for recording quality alone.