is this a good choice? i mean, 400 bucks is kind of a lot, but im wondering if its a good buy. and with my lame solid state amp, it probably doesn't sound as good as it does on the website. ive read a lot of good reviews about it, but they all pretty much say the same thing...."its a little confusing at first, but read the manual and you'll understand" yeah thanks for the hint there, man.

and does anyone know if you can use the usb port to plug into garageband and record? im getting tired of the garageband effects, and im trying to record some professional sounding songs.
The Pod has all kinds of programs that come with it that let you record and whatnot. And yes, it will make your solid state sound better. Just hook it up to the FX Loop and it will bypass the SS amp's preamp and use the pod as the preamp. Since it's modelling, it the sound won't vary *hugely* between amps. Yes, it will sound better on a tube amp, but it will still be quite useable with a solid state.

And yes, $400 is a lot. You really have to look at if it's worth it to you. Will you use tons of effects? Will you use the amp models? If you only want a couple of effects and don't really need the amp models, just buy individual pedals for what you want and get some recording gear.

If you do want lots of effects and amp models, go for the POD. It should do what you need it to and it will do it pretty well.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
thanks, im definitely going to buy it i've decided. i mean, i know im goint o use EVERY effect on there, im a real effects junkie. i play prog metal mostly, and i cant get enough classic rock so no effects or amp models are going to be wasted. the main reason i want to buy it is becasue of the crazy distortion im always looking for, and the endless effects i cant afford to buy separately.
go for it...it has a great variety of tones, and even more that you can get when you connect to your computer. The wah pedal is one of the better ones that ive used, and it can make a junky amp sound much better. The way i see it is this: you can spend $400 on a) 3-4 pedals, or b) unlimited pedals, you know?
haha, good point, now that you put it that way, why would someone spend money on regular pedals if they can just get the pod xt live...
^So that they can be a pedal elitist and look "professional."

True, the POD won't sound *quite* as good as the actual pedals, but it will be so close that very few people would know the difference.

I'm buying one myself. I'll use it with my MG and actually make it give me decent tones. The FX Loop will let me bypass the pre-amp, so that will make the sound a bit better. I've heard of quite a few people salvaging MG's this way and actually making them quite useable.

lespaul.zim, you hit the nail on the head. 3-4 great pedals, or unlimited really really good pedals with infinite combinations. Plus, you have to also bring into account the huge community for the POD. So many people making their own sounds, then putting them up so you can download them and use them as well! That alone makes it worth it to me.

Also, for the record I mainly play experimental stuff, so I need a LOT of effects. Plus, the amp models will be put to excellent use for me as well.

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar