Page 1 of 2
Well thsi is THE amp i want to get. I have 2 questiosn about ti. Shoudl i o for the solo head, the dual channel or the triple channel? All i need is a clean and brutal heavey distortion. secodn questions. I can buy it in end of septemebr (ill ahve 2 grand by then), but my dad keeps giving me liek stupuid sayings liek, whata re you gunan do with it once u go to uni? (ill take it with me obv.) but it's obvious my dad and mom dont want me blowin 2 grand on an amp (im thinkin maybe 1300-1500 is i can find a local used one) but how cna i i convince em to let me buy it? or shoudl i just buy it anwayse and be leik , bitch its ma muny.? I'm mnore concered with the channel dilema so help a brutha out

Don't go to uni, go back to school and re-take English.

But seriously, have you tried the amp before you're gonna' buy? Please do, don't just buy because your fav bands use it, you may not actually like it. And.... do you have a cab aswell?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i dont care if you are UG's worst grammatic. spell properly and you'll get more help. how about just waiting till you go to Uni to buy it, that way, they'll never know about it.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
Was there any english in there?

Nobody has a practical use for the Triple, so go with the Single or Duel. But since your going to "uni", then I'd reccomend the Single. Your roomates would get pretty pissed off
if you were playing a Triple Rectifier in your dorm. Seriously, listen to R H C P, try out other amps, you may like them more than a Mesa.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Nice ebonics. I think you answered your own question when you said you need a clean and a brutal distortion only. Go for the dual-channel. I'm not gonna help you on how to manipulate your parents but they do have a point...it is a big amp with a lot of power. Be sure you're going to have a space to store it, let alone chances to play it. I know too many people at college that brought their enormous amps and never ended up playing with anyone so they just sat there collecting dust.

Consider a smaller combo.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Yes i do have a cab, i runa an MG15 thru it (STFU!) nad yes i have tried it numerous times efore (ive prolyl got abotui 10 hours playing time in totoal on teh 3 channel dual rectifier) and it's THE sound i was. sooo orgasmic. I can;t wait till fukin Uni to get it dude, Thats 2 years of horrendous MG distortion! plus i need to buy a car before Uni too. Chaqimere i'm not gettign a triple RECTIFIER i want to get the DUAL RECTIFIER but i was wondering should i get the dual rectifier with single, dual or triple channel? But rockxwl i think you summed it up for me, i think i'll go with teh 2channel one
Dude take your time and actually TRY and spell stuff right. Jeez.

Anyways, to all you losers who jumped on the "Triple is too much blah blah" bandwagon. Jump off. It is in no way louder than a Dual. Trust me I know, I've owned a Dual and now a Triple...and they're the same volume and sound wise. The ONLY, I repeat the ONLY difference between them is clean headroom...and you only notice it on the clean channel. I had my Dual hooked up to two cabs and couldn't get saturation from the tubes unless I cranked it to about 6 or 7 on the master volume...but by the time I had hit 4 my ears and head were throbbing. SO STOP WITH THE BASHING OF THE TRIPLE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

Thanks.

Oh and...some people prefer the sound of the 2-channel Dual Rectos over the 3-channels. But I find that the extra channel is handy.
^ 3dBs...which isn't noticable at all because its only louder when everything is dimed out...and who is going to do that and live to tell about it? lol
thats a great offer curlupanddie, but unfortunatly i only have half that money at the moment. another question regarding the dual rec's do they have a lead boost? or anyhting of that sort to get it louder a a certain time? like a solo boost while on distortion channel? or would i have to go with the triple channel dual rec for that? and if i did, does the 3rd channel have an indipendant volume control?
Quote by Dyaxe666
thats a great offer curlupanddie, but unfortunatly i only have half that money at the moment. another question regarding the dual rec's do they have a lead boost? or anyhting of that sort to get it louder a a certain time? like a solo boost while on distortion channel? or would i have to go with the triple channel dual rec for that? and if i did, does the 3rd channel have an indipendant volume control?

Both Duals and Triples have a Solo boost which is controlled by the footswitch. Hence the "Solo Head" name. All channels have their own Master Volume knobs as well.

Are you sure this is the amp for you? It sounds like youre not quite ready for one. If youre really going to dump that much cash into a head then you should at least know its key features...TBH
Quote by Chimaira
Was there any english in there?

Nobody has a practical use for the Triple, so go with the Single or Duel. But since your going to "uni", then I'd reccomend the Single. Your roomates would get pretty pissed off
if you were playing a Triple Rectifier in your dorm. Seriously, listen to R H C P, try out other amps, you may like them more than a Mesa.

Trust me, his roomates would be pissed at any rectifier. The single is loud enough as it is, let alone a dual or triple.

He already said he is getting a dual rectifier. Might as well get the newer (3 channel) dual recto..

EDIT:

Kurt: any amp with "Solo" on it has the solo boost, not just the dual and triple.. the single recto has it as well.

EDIT 2:

Dude, if you really don't know this much about the amp.. Why don't you go read the mesa/boogie manual or try the mother****er.. You're asking a billion questions about it and it appears that you really don't know much.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Aug 5, 2006,
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Trust me, his roomates would be pissed at any rectifier. The single is loud enough as it is, let alone a dual or triple.

He already said he is getting a dual rectifier. Might as well get the newer (3 channel) dual recto..

EDIT:

Kurt: any amp with "Solo" on it has the solo boost, not just the dual and triple.. the single recto has it as well.

EDIT 2:

Dude, if you really don't know this much about the amp.. Why don't you go read the mesa/boogie manual or try the mother****er.. You're asking a billion questions about it and it appears that you really don't know much.

Yeah the Single has it but I didnt think he'd care since he's looking at a Triple.

And yeah, you really need to go play it. If GC or watever tells you to turn it down tell them to shuv a string winder in their ass and to stfu. Really crank it, cause Im telling you now that the sound changes a lot as you turn it up. So be SURE that the Recto is the one for you.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Yeah the Single has it but I didnt think he'd care since he's looking at a Triple.

And yeah, you really need to go play it. If GC or watever tells you to turn it down tell them to shuv a string winder in their ass and to stfu. Really crank it, cause Im telling you now that the sound changes a lot as you turn it up. So be SURE that the Recto is the one for you.

err his thread title has 'dual' rectifier in it.

And yes, you do need to turn it up to at least 12:00 (half) to understand precisely how loud mesa/boogie products are.
^ make sure to wear a cup when you do though...and, if you can, line it with sound foam to pretect your nuts. You do want children eventually right?
I love the way he spells makes me laugh everytime. Plus I have a way that I talk when I read his posts, makes my friends laugh. Anyway, try before buy is good. I love the mesa tone, it's hard to push it to get the brutal distortion you want. Hard as in, omg my ears are bleeding and the cops are pounding on my door, hard.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Hard as in my balls have just exploded....
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by CodySG
I love the way he spells makes me laugh everytime. Plus I have a way that I talk when I read his posts, makes my friends laugh. Anyway, try before buy is good. I love the mesa tone, it's hard to push it to get the brutal distortion you want. Hard as in, omg my ears are bleeding and the cops are pounding on my door, hard.

You read that? You're a saint. You should call the CIA and ask if they're hiring cryptographers.
Hi, I'm Peter
They said I have to wait until I'm out of college
Awww....
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by Dyaxe666
Yes i do have a cab, i runa an MG15 thru it (STFU!) nad yes i have tried it numerous times efore (ive prolyl got abotui 10 hours playing time in totoal on teh 3 channel dual rectifier) and it's THE sound i was. sooo orgasmic. I can;t wait till fukin Uni to get it dude, Thats 2 years of horrendous MG distortion! plus i need to buy a car before Uni too. Chaqimere i'm not gettign a triple RECTIFIER i want to get the DUAL RECTIFIER but i was wondering should i get the dual rectifier with single, dual or triple channel? But rockxwl i think you summed it up for me, i think i'll go with teh 2channel one

I think he's trying to say something...
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
if only we could decrypt his words.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
this thread is the funniest thing i've seen in that last five minutes.

you need to try before you buy. i don't beleive you've tried out the amp if you're asking so many questions. i think you're just jumping on the "OMG ItS teH L337 Mesa BoOGiE!!" bandwagon.
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
i HAVE tried it numeroud times before, but its got so many dman switches that i dont wanan flip at the back sionce it's still teh sote amp. Ive only pleyed at volume literally .1 i can;t turn it up without steralizing myslef and anyone else within a 1mile radius! when i have the 2 grand ill take a whole day to tweeak with it ill tlak to the peopel there and tell em i really wanan give this thign a rundown and ill try it with a hotplate etc...
Switches? You sure you didn't try the RoadKing? The Dual doesn't have many switches and stuff on it, and the ones it does tells you what they do. I would go back and play one again, only turn the volume to 7. That's where the brutal distortion kicks in, and that volume also kills small children....
Quote by Dyaxe666
i HAVE tried it numeroud times before, but its got so many dman switches that i dont wanan flip at the back sionce it's still teh sote amp. Ive only pleyed at volume literally .1 i can;t turn it up without steralizing myslef and anyone else within a 1mile radius! when i have the 2 grand ill take a whole day to tweeak with it ill tlak to the peopel there and tell em i really wanan give this thign a rundown and ill try it with a hotplate etc...

Why would you try it with a hotplate?

Simply enough dude... You either have to turn it up or not. If you can't stand having the mesa boogie turned up.. you shouldn't buy it. They're MEANT to be turned up. Mesa reccomends in their MANUALS to achieve the best tone possible to turn it to at least 10:00 on the volume knob...

If they say in their manual to turn it up.. dude.. you gotta ****in turn it up! **** hotplates and all that bitch ****, mesa/boogie dual rectifier half stacks aret practice amps! They're made to be played.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Why would you try it with a hotplate?

Simply enough dude... You either have to turn it up or not. If you can't stand having the mesa boogie turned up.. you shouldn't buy it. They're MEANT to be turned up. Mesa reccomends in their MANUALS to achieve the best tone possible to turn it to at least 10:00 on the volume knob...

If they say in their manual to turn it up.. dude.. you gotta ****in turn it up! **** hotplates and all that bitch ****, mesa/boogie dual rectifier half stacks aret practice amps! They're made to be played.

Very good point.
Threadstarter, are you going to jam alot/play alot of gigs? Or are you a bedroom player going DUdEOorZ, teH MesA BOOgIE!<!!
I'm pretty sure he said he was a bedroom warrior. If you want a good metal tube amp for bedroom levels look at the ENGL powerball, Peavey 5150, and MAYBE a Framus or a Mark IV. A dual recto is made to be a live amp, live and live only. It doesn't sound metal until it's pushed to at LEAST above noon, and that's crazy for practicing or anything bar a live gig. You said yourself you couldn't turn it passes one, if that's as high as you can go, don't get a dual recto.
Quote by CodySG
I'm pretty sure he said he was a bedroom warrior. If you want a good metal tube amp for bedroom levels look at the ENGL powerball, Peavey 5150, and MAYBE a Framus or a Mark IV. A dual recto is made to be a live amp, live and live only. It doesn't sound metal until it's pushed to at LEAST above noon, and that's crazy for practicing or anything bar a live gig. You said yourself you couldn't turn it passes one, if that's as high as you can go, don't get a dual recto.

No.

"Metal tube amp for bedroom levels" Is an oxymoron, dude. Sorry. If you want bedroom level metal tone you need to go SS or play unplugged. You can get an attenuator but even then speaker breakup and just all out volume make a good deal of your tone as well.

I'll tell you from experience: Owning an ENGL Mesa and Peavey.. You wont be having late night practices with them. You'll find better low volume tone from something other than a high-wattage highgain tube amp.
Yea, but some people can practice on high gain tube amps at high volumes, not recto high, but loud enough to get a nice tone on different amps. He could also get a tube combo to play, since he wants a recto I don't think he's looking into solid state amps. I have a peavey 5150 combo and it's fine for practicing and jamming with the band. My friend has a 5150 II half stack, and although he can't crank it whenever he wants to, he can play it fine at bedroom levels. The threadstarter doesn't play in a band, but that doesn't mean he can't get a nice amp. I don't know if you gig or not Geno, but if you don't would you think it's fair me saying you don't have a right to own a powerball because you can't use it at live gig volumes? I think there are metal amps that do a decent job for practicing, and is worth it if you get a chance to open it up a couple times a week.
Quote by CodySG
Yea, but some people can practice on high gain tube amps at high volumes, not recto high, but loud enough to get a nice tone on different amps. He could also get a tube combo to play, since he wants a recto I don't think he's looking into solid state amps.

Well you can say it all you want, but I'm going to tell you that if you buy a 100w tube half stack for bedroom practice you're a tool. If you say otherwise.. you're a tool, simply put.

A band situation? Thats fine Gigging? Sure. A studio? **** yeah. Any place where you actually USE the tubes. You don't get 'tube tone' out of a 100w tube amp with the volume at one.

I have a peavey 5150 combo and it's fine for practicing and jamming with the band. My friend has a 5150 II half stack, and although he can't crank it whenever he wants to, he can play it fine at bedroom levels. The threadstarter doesn't play in a band, but that doesn't mean he can't get a nice amp.

Yes, but you and your friend are in bands, I hope? Like I said before, its a waste to have a 100w(120 in your case) tube amp for exclusively bedroom practice. Its just not right, you can find nice amps elsewhere. Since when are solid state amps ****ty? The only problem with solid states or hybrids is that when you crank them up they break up, therefore, they're ideal for exclusively bedroom practice or low-volume applications.

I don't know if you gig or not Geno, but if you don't would you think it's fair me saying you don't have a right to own a powerball because you can't use it at live gig volumes? I think there are metal amps that do a decent job for practicing, and is worth it if you get a chance to open it up a couple times a week.

Firstly, I used to gig, and before I gigged I was in a band. Hell, I played in a band for a year with a modeling pedal, a 2x10 guitar amp and 1x15 bass amp. If you want me to justify my purchases yes, I needed them. I needed the volume, I needed the clairty, I needed the punch in a band situation and also to gig. I've gigged before and I intend on gigging in the future. I don't use my amps to practice on at all hardly, less than once a week.

To answer your question- No. Its wrong. You can't tell me what I deserve. Did I say he doesn't deserve one? No, I didn't. I said not to buy a dual rectifier for bedroom practice when there are more modestly priced and applicable alternatives to bedroom practice. If he isnt in a band that means he would turn it up ZERO times a week.

Get a nice modeler or a decent solid state amp unless you have to have the status symbol that is the 'mesa boogie dual rectifier'
It may only be 3dB louder or something like that, but you have to remember that those 3 dB increase logarithmically with intensity.

The jump from 70dB to 73dB isn't much, but from 110dB to 113dB is a TON.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by Hypnot1st
It may only be 3dB louder or something like that, but you have to remember that those 3 dB increase logarithmically with intensity.

The jump from 70dB to 73dB isn't much, but from 110dB to 113dB is a TON.

In reply to?

I'm saying that a 120w tube amp isnt even going to get the power tubes cooking in the first place, so whats the point of spending $2000 on 'tube tone' when you wont be using it. You can just go buy a killer 30w SS amplifier that sounds badass or a SS amp and a bunch of pedals.. or a small tube amp and pedals.. and attain a much better tone.

And I concour.
Genocide definitely makes some great points here!

Threadstarter....please learn a little more about the amp before you lay down the money.....if it's confusing you with all the buttons, it may not be the best idea.

Next, an attenuator with a DR is a bad idea....had a Hotplate with mine, and it sucked all the tone....all the treble, bass, and even gain. Fluidity was gone...completely.

Next, I disagree with the amp not being suitable for bedroom playing. Don't get me wrong...this IS NOT the amp for a strictly bedroom player, but if you gig and play at home, it can get great tones at low levels. Still doesn't beat the cranked fury, but it's nice! Beats a SS amp by far.

Finally, a retube does a recto WONDERS! So far, I have swapped the stock rectifiers tubes in mine for a pair of JJ GZ-34s, and my entire rig sounds 100x better! The tone is tighter....no more loose bass, especially on palm mutes. Playing my guitar feels much tighter also! Still has the sag when you need it though!

And best of all? It gets much better tones at lower volumes, and cuts through a band mix much more effectively.....I usually had to go to 5 at our gigs......with the new tubes, the added tightness allows be to be at 2, while still retaining a huge tone that cuts even more effectively!

Lesson: Mesas sells great amps with ****ty tubes.....easy change! DO IT!
The question people, is not if the rectifier is bedroom practice-able, because it is, and it sounds like absolute dog **** compared to other amps doing the same thing. (I'd know)

The question is should a person who plays almost exclusively alone buy a dual recto half stack? **** no. Thats just a bad idea regardless of what tubes, hotplate (which arent that great of an idea imo) or whatever you're playing with... You can simply find better tone elsewhere.

Get a solid state or a hybrid amp for low volume practice. If you're in a band or gigging its a different story, but save yourself money (both cost, for attenuators and for new preamp tubes from having to crank the gain) and your roommates the earache...

You can always upgrade later when you need it.
Page 1 of 2