Okay, so I need to tighten the truss rod on one of my guitars a bit, because I've got some up-bow. I took the cover off and instead of what I thought [from reading a few FAQs/articles etc on truss rods before I did it] would be a hole in the top of the truss rod to stick an allen key in, there's just a big gold nut there and no hole for an allen key.

So I took the cover off my other guitar and on that one, it doesn't have the nut it just has the hole for an allen key.

Now my question. Is this nut thing just like a "cover" or something and underneath that will the hole for the allen key be underneath? Because if not, there's hardly any room to get a spanner or a socket thing round it and it's quite high up in the cavity.

Should I try and take this nut off and see or just take it to a tech? I'd rather do it myself though 'cause I don't have any cash after buying a new amp the other day.
By crook or fist I'll lather up your gracious smile.
And take my time...
Do you have a digital camera?

Give us a photo, that would be uber helpful.

I've never seen anything like that, just a pretty large Allen (don't know which one, just keep tryin' em until I find it...)
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

This is the best I can do:

Thing is, there isn't a hole for the allen key to fit into

And because of how high up in the cavity it is, I can't fit a socket thing round it either.
And take my time...
I've never seen anything like that. Take it to a shop. Wouldnt want to accidentally ruin.
ESP LTD EC-400 Archtop

Robert Keeley Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer-
ISP Decimator-
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer-
B-52 AT-100-
Basson B412-4
Yeah, a friend of mine who also plays said the same. Anyone know how much a shop would charge to sort it out?
And take my time...
what type of guitar is it? did u buy it new?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you take it to a shop and ask them about it, they'll probably just tell you what's up and then you can fix it yourself. They (if they're halfway decent people) shouldn't charge you for advice. If it requires them to fix it though, they'd probably charge and it depends on the shop from there.
Me + Ibanez RGT42DXFM + Digitech GNX3000 + Crate GT1200H = Sex
It's a Jackson JS30RR, and yeah I bought it new.

Yeah, I probably will end up taking it to a tech.

If it helps any, I've been googling and found this page:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

and this picture:

My truss rod seems to be the same, only on mine, the rod part isn't sticking out above the nut. Does this just need turning some then?

EDIT: Kirk - Well, my local shop doesn't like to give advice 'cause apparantly the tech there told someone how to wire up a new pup and he supposedly "blew the guitar up" and tried to sue the tech. So I don't really wanna go there incase they tell me wrong, but I'll probably phone somewhere like Dawsons tomorrow.
And take my time...
Last edited by RX Queen at Aug 4, 2006,
well there are "some" brands have a hex nut truss rod adjustment.

not the traditional allen wrench system. im guessing its the same thing.
u measure the neck angle use the correct size hex nut and turn 1/8" in the correct direction after u detune a bit. then let it sit an hour.

look up ur owners manual on line. see what size nut, and type of truss rod is standard wt ur guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Local shop here costs 25 dollars, and that is a complete cleaning/setup labor charge plus you might as well throw new strings on so if you haven't ever done that I suggest you do just for ****'s sake it'll cost your 25-35 dollars per guitar. Hope you can get it figured out.
ESP LTD EC-400 Archtop

Robert Keeley Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer-
ISP Decimator-
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer-
B-52 AT-100-
Basson B412-4
Quote by RX Queen

EDIT: Kirk - Well, my local shop doesn't like to give advice 'cause apparantly the tech there told someone how to wire up a new pup and he supposedly "blew the guitar up" and tried to sue the tech. So I don't really wanna go there incase they tell me wrong, but I'll probably phone somewhere like Dawsons tomorrow.

I seriously doubt Dawsons will be able to help much.

Mate, there's loads of Guitar shops in Manchester. Get the yellow pages out and give them all a ring. Ask for a quote on setting up your guitar.

Hope you get it sorted.
Looks like that nut is how you adjust the Truss rod. I think you just screw it like you would with an allen wrench (except without the allen wrench of course ).
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

When I bought my Jackson DK2S Dinky, I got some equipment with it such as an Allen key and a silver tool for adjusting the truss rods. the truss rod tool looks like this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/dirtysmackheadmelike/trusstool.jpg

Hope that helps.
My Gear:

Jackson DK2S Dinky
Ibanez SA120
Epiphone Les Paul
Marshall AVT150X Head with 200watt Cab
Zoom G2-1u Multi Effects Pedal
Boss MT-2 Pedal
Marshall Supervibe Pedal