Ok having just bought a DSl401 im loving the tone given by it , but ive realised im gonna need several pedals to get certain sounds out of it (Im mainly playing through gibson sg std and fender mim strat).

Firstly , I mainly use the od2 setting to get the gain im looking for ... meaning I have no "boost" when breaking into a solo or lead part. I was thinking maybe a boss ge-7 would work for that ? as well as being able to let me boost mids abit for lead.

Now we move onto wah pedals, im looking to play from traditional slash/hendrix type wah all the way to hammet and dimebag. Standard dunlop crybabys are nice and cheap on ebay and I was wondering if they'd do the job fine

Next, I can't get near metallica type of tone on the dsl401 let alone dimebag so I was wondering which overdrive/distortion pedal would let me do that best... have been looking at boss mt-2 or ibanez tubescreamer

Finally ive noticed sometimes the dsl-401 doesnt sound great when i've just turned it on (turn standby on ... leave for 3 mins... turn amp on) and that even when its been on standby it takes sometime to warm up - should that be happening ?

any advice greatfully recieved , ta
Sounds like you have everything figured out. The pedals you are considering will all get the job done well. As for the tubes...some amps take longer to warm up the tubes than others and also tubes tend to sound a bit better once they get slightly "burned in." I wouldn't be too concerned but there is a small possibilty that there may be a slightly weak connection in one or more of the tubes. Just keep it up and if the wait time gets worse, consider having a tech give it a once over.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
bump , need advice on which distortion pedal is best for metallica/pantera
here's what I'd do (note I haven't tried these pedals with it, but I think they'd work).

for metallica/pantera, you probably want an EQ pedal. That might do it of itself. Or failing that, use it in conjunction with your overdrive pedal which is boosting the overdrive channel of the amp.

For a solo booost, you may just want a clean boost. HBE make a nice one- the uno mos, though try everything you can.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Iccus

Finally ive noticed sometimes the dsl-401 doesnt sound great when i've just turned it on (turn standby on ... leave for 3 mins... turn amp on) and that even when its been on standby it takes sometime to warm up - should that be happening ?

HOLY CRAP ZOMG please tell me this isn't right! When I baught this amp a couple of months ago the guy in the shop (who really seemed like he knew what he was talking about) said you turn the AMP on FIRST to let it warm up and THEN turn on standby after 2-3 mins. This is my first tube amp so I'm not sure who's right now...

But anyway, I'm also looking for a good pedal for playing Metallica and Pantera and I can tell you that a Tubescreamer will definatly NOT do the job. I have a TS808 and its great for classic rock and 80's rock but not at all for metal. I also strongly considered an MT-2...

^that's what the guy in the shop said to do...

You can kinda hear it warming up aswell when you press the power switch. I can't hear anything when I press the standby switch first.

Dude...let the tubes warm up before turning it off stand-by. turn the power on and wait at least 30 seconds to turn stand-by off. It doesnt take 2-3 minutes.
can we get this clarified please ? the CORRECT way. as we now have 3 different people stating 3 different ways to turn the amp on/off
wait...you CAN"T get a metallica tone outta this amp? are you retarded or something?

seriously i was playing around with mine today, i can always a metallica tone and with the mids scooped and treble boosted i can get close to a dimebag tone. but the main issue is getting to sound solid state enough to sound like dimebag.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
turn the power switch on (flick it down) with the standby switch up. then after 3 mins or so flick the switch to down and rock out. it warms up better after some palying and you should ease into any large volumes to prevent tube damage.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Dude...let the tubes warm up before turning it off stand-by. turn the power on and wait at least 30 seconds to turn stand-by off. It doesnt take 2-3 minutes.

it can take 20 minutes to half an hour before the tubes are running atfull capacity...

but yeah, to prolong the valve life, you need to wait at least 30 seconds. I normally leave it for 2-3 minutes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh dave, i got my new DSL. it pwns. more gain that the other and a different tone. more metal. me likes. dammit i like this amp. can't wait to crank it.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ awesome. \m/
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What is really right? When I had my DSL401 It worked better when i warmed it up with the powerswitch on first and then standby. It made weird noises and crackles when i turned the standyswitch fisrt and then power.
Quote by joel_grieve
turn the power switch on (flick it down) with the standby switch up. then after 3 mins or so flick the switch to down and rock out. it warms up better after some palying and you should ease into any large volumes to prevent tube damage.

Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
what? leave the standby switch on off and turn the power on. then wait 3 mins and turn the standby on (flick it down) if you can't figure that out god help us all.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
what? leave the standby switch on off..........if you can't figure that out god help us all.

on off

lol

Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Meh...it still doesnt take a whole 3 minutes...as little as 45 seconds to a minute is still safe.
yeah, but the tubes take while to warm up properly. you CAN play after 45 but it sounds better if you wait.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel