I know these threads are a dime-a-dozen, but now its my turn to buy an amp and I feel like I need one last round of encouragment before I plop down my $400.

I mostly play classic rock, blues, and the occasional metal. I would want the amp to have great cleans at low and high volumes, but also be able to get good overdriven tones at low volumes. I know the Blues Jr is meant to be cranked to get that "break-up" crunch, but would I be able to achieve the same sound with an OD pedal and the amp turned down? And which pedal would be best for that?

And how would the amp handle heavy distortion? I know it isnt meant for metal, but would I be able to get metal tones from it if needed?

I've waiting a long time to get a new amp, so I want to be 100% certain I'm buying the right one for me. Tones that I drool over include: David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Joe Perry, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler, Santana, SRV, ZZ Top, etc.. Would I be able to achieve good rythym/soloing tones like these? (even if I have to use a pedal)

Please let me know how you like your Blues Junior and what kind of tones you get out of it. I'm very eager to buy it, but I just need some final testimonies before I make the big purchase Thanks
I don't own one but I've played one. The cleans are superb. But you'll be hard-pressed to play metal out of it. A good OD pedal is a must for that. But they are wonderful amps, I support your decision.

edit: and for the tones you described (especially knoplfer and zz top and others) the fender will let you get damn close to those tones.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
^^ Thanks for the fast replies

I have a Digitech Grunge pedal that I use to get good Maiden-like metal tones from my SS amp. Would running this pedal through my Blues Junior (and cranking the distortion) do damage to my amp or speakers? Cause I know it wasnt made to handle heavy distortion like that.
I don't own one, but I have a friend who uses one as his main amp. I've played it (and the larger Hot Rod Deville), and both are very nice amps. Perfect for your style.
I'd say go used...I got a Peavey Classic 30 for 320$ and a Fender 1968 Bassman for 350$, both on eBay...used is, IMO, really the way to go. I'd scout around for some other good deals before you plunk down the cash for the BJ.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
I'd say go used...I got a Peavey Classic 30 for 320$ and a Fender 1968 Bassman for 350$, both on eBay...used is, IMO, really the way to go. I'd scout around for some other good deals before you plunk down the cash for the BJ.

I'm usually a big fan of buying used stuff (videogames, cd's, etc..) But I feel like I'd want this sucker to be brand new. I know a lot of people like to mod and f*ck with these amps, and I might even do the same myself. So I kinda want a fresh start with it.

I'm gonna go to Guitar Center this weekend and try out the BJ with a few OD pedals. If I'm satisfied with the tones, I'll try to talk the salesman down a little bit from $400 and hopefully walk out with my new amp.

I know the goofballs at GC sometimes drop prices a little in order to seal a deal... so you think I'd be able to talk them down to $375? I'm going in there with $450, so I want enough $$$ leftover to buy a Blues Driver or somethin
If you mod, go used for sure.
I'm modding/fixing up that Bassman, it's alot of work, but it's fun, and it should sound sweeet when I'm done.

Anyways, the main thing is used, is I'd rather have a 30watt amp with reverb, two channels, etc. for 80 bucks cheaper than an amp without any of those features.

Hmm. I thought about the two-channel thing. But then I realized its not much of a big deal. I could always just play on the clean channel, then when I want some sizzle.. just step on the OD pedal. It's just like having a footswitch to a second channel, no?
if you want to sound like jimi or clapton get their pedals(digitech)
peace
dont think of the overdrive pedal as a footswitch to another channel. sure it might kinda have that effect, but thats not really what it is. i was going to get the blues junior, but decided to get the classic 30 for the reason that it has that second channel and has a bit more volume. the blues junior is a great little amp though, and im sure youd be happy with it if you get it. just do check into some used stuff you can get in that range, you can get some really nice stuff for that. if youre really against a used amp though, i doubt youll regret the blues junior if you get it.
Quote by jof1029
dont think of the overdrive pedal as a footswitch to another channel. sure it might kinda have that effect, but thats not really what it is.

And why not? I say if it works.. use it. And it seems like a perfectly fine method.
yes def get it. you can overdrive it good and if you add a good overdrive to it it can get pretty heavy. although it would be very hard to play death metal heavy metal.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Quote by dubdub07
if you want to sound like jimi or clapton get their pedals(digitech)

More like "If you want to sound like a totally castrated digital version of Hendrix or Clapton buy their Digitech pedals."

And I personally prefer pure tube OD to boosted OD in most cases, but if you're happy with using pedals, sounds cool. One thing I don't like is the volume jump particularily. If you use a booster, volume goes up to. If you have two channels, you can adjust the volumes how you like 'em.