Page 1 of 3
now Im talking about in albums, not the drummers themselves.

In Flames- Whoracle
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
^The drumming on Kill was good, I think. The rest is pretty damn bland for a death metal band, but you have to admit CC wouldn't have that sound without the simplistic drumming.

Pretty much every badly produced black metal album there is. Ildjarn is the worst though, sounds like pots and pans.

And just to say it before anyone else, St. Anger.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
i always hated how lars has had just random crashes in old metallica songs... its like hes pulling it out of his ass. and i think vinni paul is really medicore, he seemed to just always follow the beat and never really try anything the least bit chalenging.
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
Quote by Spark1284
i always hated how lars has had just random crashes in old metallica songs... its like hes pulling it out of his ass. and i think vinni paul is really medicore, he seemed to just always follow the beat and never really try anything the least bit chalenging.

I always thought those crashes sounded very good. Black metal drumming is generally crap, nothing in particular for me though.
-Mike
Listen to Melechesh. Not only is their drummer one of the best black metal drummers, but he's definitely a great drummer all around.
Quote by Inimical
Listen to Melechesh. Not only is their drummer one of the best black metal drummers, but he's definitely a great drummer all around.

I didn't say all Black Metal drummers, I'm not that ignorant to make a statement like that. But of all metal genres, which spits out the most mediocore drumming? I'd say probably black metal.
-Mike
Quote by flamencogod
lol @ st. anger

Agreed
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
i like thrash drumming, its very energetic, but anyways, lars drumming in st.anger sucks ass, but i think the worst drumming is alot of hair metal, very boring
Do Unto Others As They Have Done To You,
But What The Hell Is This World Coming To?
Blow The Universe Into Nothingness,
Nuclear Warfare Shall Lay Us To Rest!

METALLICA - FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE
Quote by mydadisjewish
gontyna kry- welowie. but i love it anyway

woah, that album is godly. Never noticed the crappy drumming.
Quote by Spark1284

Maybe he was going for what he thought sounded good, not what was hardest to play?
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
Quote by HopePoisoned
I didn't say all Black Metal drummers, I'm not that ignorant to make a statement like that. But of all metal genres, which spits out the most mediocore drumming? I'd say probably black metal.

Oh I know you weren't... I've seen you post before so I knew that. Just making a suggestion for some really great black metal drumming.
Quote by chemicalsolutio
woah, that album is godly. Never noticed the crappy drumming.

listen again. i think it's programmed and they sound pretty shotty. still, cool ass album
^ I'll listen again. Often in black metal you have one-man bands and the drums suffer a lot since most aren't drummers. I don't care much because I like raw atmospheric bm and it doesn't require any talented drumming.
I meant the sound of the drums, not the technical ability behind them (even though it's a machine).
Immortal's album "Battles in the North". it must have the highest missed-bpm count of any black metal album in history
Quote by Spark1284
i think vinni paul is really medicore, he seemed to just always follow the beat and never really try anything the least bit chalenging.

have you ever heard becoming?

thats some crazy drumming
Last.fm
My Recordnerd
Myspace

Quote by Crazy
okay. have fun. 1,567,584,586th time I've heard that in the pit

Quote by c0ld_3mphasis05
Not even that many people exist on this planet.

LOL
Quote by j1mi_h3ndrix
have you ever heard becoming?

thats some crazy drumming

i agree, plus hes ****ing amazing
Do Unto Others As They Have Done To You,
But What The Hell Is This World Coming To?
Blow The Universe Into Nothingness,
Nuclear Warfare Shall Lay Us To Rest!

METALLICA - FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE
I know I'm repeating pretty much everyone but I think St. Anger deserves that.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Quote by evilmnky204
Immortal's album "Battles in the North". it must have the highest missed-bpm count of any black metal album in history

I see your point, when I was first hearing Immortal I watched a video, and the blastbeat was totally out of time with everything else, sounded atrocious.

But other Immortal is good.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Even thought I love Sonata Arctica, the drumming is really boring IMO. Most Sonata songs basically consist of "buga dah budagah dah budugah dah budugah dah".
Quote by <><
Oh, King'sXfan590! Is there anything you won't say?

There, now you can quote me and put me in your sig.
Judas Iscariot has pretty ****ty drumming, as does alot of other black metal. But hey, Black Metal is not exactly a genre for talented muscians for the most part.
Quote by Spark1284
i think vinni paul is really medicore, he seemed to just always follow the beat and never really try anything the least bit chalenging.

The drumming in 'Domination' is ace. Especially in the intro.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
I don't think it's very hard (not a drummer, but seems simple) but 5 Minutes Alone has some great drums too. And I know it's in no way metal, at all, but Avenged Sevenfold, from what I've seen, has terrible drumming.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
Quote by mrmoo182
...And Justice For All

Ummm.are you mentally retarded, thas by far Lars' best album.

Sonata are samey with the drums but it aint all rubbish, he re-uses beats sometimes but defienetly not bad.

Tales From The Thousand Lakes- Amorphis has some very bland drumming, its a great album though

Quote by Black Hole Sun
And I know it's in no way metal, at all, but Avenged Sevenfold, from what I've seen, has terrible drumming.

he's not horrid but his drums sound horrid on all the albums, especially Waking the Fallen
Lars Ulrich, easily. Most overhyped drummer I can think of, besides he's generally not good. His double bass, even on songs like Battery is uneven. Drumming on Justice wasn't bad though...he had his high points occasionally, but in general he's pretty bad.
Quote by SickMetal
Lars Ulrich, easily. Most overhyped drummer I can think of.

Overhyped by metallica fans underappreciated by everyone else. Im very impressed with the quality of drumming on the Load's as of late. I mean it isnt AJFA... but he transitioned with the bad very well, songs like Fuel and Outlaw Torn are proof that even though the band's overall music kind of declined he still has some bright spots. If anything the Black album drumming was way over-produced and got more simple
Quote by laffyjam
Fenriz's drumming in Transilvanian Hunger.

Dude, listen to the drums. It's constant blast beats but he puts emphasis and you can hear the drums being hit harder on parts where the melody is clearer... the physicaly force with which the drums are hit add to the hypnotic quality of the album. It's insane. But in terms of skill, yeah he sucks ass.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Overhyped by metallica fans underappreciated by everyone else. Im very impressed with the quality of drumming on the Load's as of late. I mean it isnt AJFA... but he transitioned with the bad very well, songs like Fuel and Outlaw Torn are proof that even though the band's overall music kind of declined he still has some bright spots. If anything the Black album drumming was way over-produced and got more simple

True...I think he's horrible lol. Only album with decent drumming to me is Justice, and even that is doable by any other thrash drummer. I definatly agree about the black album. It goes along with the more hard rock based thing they were doing I guess, not cool. Even on RTL...listen to For Whom the Bell tolls, that's some boring ass drumming IMO.
Quote by SickMetal
True...I think he's horrible lol. Only album with decent drumming to me is Justice, and even that is doable by any other thrash drummer. I definatly agree about the black album. It goes along with the more hard rock based thing they were doing I guess, not cool. Even on RTL...listen to For Whom the Bell tolls, that's some boring ass drumming IMO.

I know that song drum wise is a freakin snooze, First song I learned on drums minus the fills. I dont know how he doesnt kill himself when they play that live. But for every badly played song theres two good ones. Kill Em Al even though the druming wasnt technical it was very energetic and it fit perfectly.
Page 1 of 3