So in reading these forums, it seems to me like everybody wants a halfstack. Now, this is just me talking, but from the general demographic of the site (that would be teenagers ages 13-17), what do you need it for? Ive played shows with amps that big before, and didnt have to turn the volume above 1/3! It just seems like people are spending a lot of money for something they really don't need, and could get the same functionality out of a combo.

Any thoughts?
i don't know where you've played but i have a half stack and i need to turn it 3/4 of the way up to reach the people in the far back......
Volume wise, people don't really need a half stack. They can make it with a tube combo. A 412 Cab pushes more air and projects sound a lot better.
I do not see the attraction either. I used to think before I got my kustom 100 watt amp that weight was no issue. But lugging its 50 pounds up and down stairs repeatedly is a real pain. And with a halfstack you have to things you have to go up and down twice.
halfstacks at 2/4 volume maintain a better, tighter sound than a combo at 4/4 volume
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
my friend has a full stack. it just sounds different. so depends on what and where you play. he has it turned up to about 1 o'clock. it sounds great travel isnt even an issue. so it all depends.
its just a matter of respect, when some dude is lugging around a marshall head and cab he feels proud because he has a huge rig, that pushes out 100+ watts, and feels proud because every famous guitarist has had a really nice half stack. and there for feels better about himself then having a puny combo amp. although the half stack might not even sound better, its just a matter of my penis is bigger than yours kinda deal. IMO, id still pick a tube combo over a marshall MG half stack, but other may go the other way
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
I think it's basically the image you get in your head when you think of true rock is the guy with his strat or his LP standing infront of the big wall of Marshall cab's... and that's what alot of people think they need to get that kind of "true rock" tone. Little do they know, all a stack is good for in the typical environment they play in is blowing their eardrums, hurting their back from carrying it around everywhere, and it's also a great way to spend large sums of money on things you dont need. That "true rock" tone can easily be acheived with a 30-50 watt tube combo...
For me its more sound than anything else. I think combos sound weak and thin. While a 4x12 cab sounds huge and beefy. Dont get me wrong I have a JCM900 2x12 combo and I fncking love it...but I still prefer to hook it up to some cabs for that extra OOMPH.

Plus halfstacks are teh secks. *if theyre good ones*

[edit] and for all you kiddy kids saying "oh theyre too hard to lug around and carry oohhhh"....stfu grow some balls and quitcho b1tchin'.
Last edited by kurdtkobaign at Aug 4, 2006,
^ i disagree, you get a totally different sound from a larger rig than you do from a combo or practice amp
Quote by z4twenny
^ i disagree, you get a totally different sound from a larger rig than you do from a combo or practice amp

no shti. thats what I just said. and then I said I prefer the sound of a halfstack over a combo. lmao
Half stacks pound you in the chest with sound though. That's one thing a tube combo can't do, due to the lack of speakers in it. :P A 212 might come close, but it won't FEEL as good as a 412. Plus, stacks offer more versatility. Say you have 2 heads, 2 cabs. Cabs are loaded with V30s and some other speaker. If you wanted to use the first head with V30s one day and another speaker another day, you'd have to have 2 combos.

Plus you can put **** on them and won't have to keep bending over, and they look cooler. My ideal rig would be a 50w tube head with a nice 412. :P

I'd prefer half stack over combo, but combos are easily just as good.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

i gto a 4x12 (getting a mesa dual rec for it) and even with my ****ty MG15 runnign through it when i stand infront of it my balls shake. witht eh mesa ill be able to feel that bass in my chest cavity. to all teh people saying 412's will husrt ur back it's a paint to carry them blah blah, its cuz your WEAK!!! go do sum squats and deadlifts
Quote by dsotm_alex
I think it's basically the image you get in your head when you think of true rock is the guy with his strat or his LP standing infront of the big wall of Marshall cab's... and that's what alot of people think they need to get that kind of "true rock" tone. Little do they know, all a stack is good for in the typical environment they play in is blowing their eardrums, hurting their back from carrying it around everywhere, and it's also a great way to spend large sums of money on things you dont need. That "true rock" tone can easily be acheived with a 30-50 watt tube combo...

i mean, that is the image of rock for sure. if i was rich and famous, hell, i could get a massive wall of cabs but i wouldnt sacrifice my tone for it. but its not something you have to aim at.
in a way the whole stack thing is kinda bull****, but if i had the money and i played big shows... who knows
yeah, its this philosophy:

"Omg LEik i GOtZ My BIGSZ HaFlS StACKszoR, I'M Teh CooLSt NOw 11one!1"

most people i know with half stacks are **** when playing
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
^You don't have to be a guitar god to have good tone. O.o

A lot of music doesn't even require you to play fast. What's wrong with having a tube stack and playing power chords/medium speed riffs?
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

if you have roadies, then why not?

EDIT: and if you do have a wall of 4x12 cabs, chances are that only like 2 work. you would mic it up and put it through the PA.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I disagree that most of the people on this forum want a halfstack. Do a search for anyone that is looking for a new amp and you'll see a ton of those threads have people saying "get a tube combo instead"
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
i have nothing against half stacks, but it is pointless to have a half stack when you don't gig or play at a coffee shop
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by cubedeathk
I do not see the attraction either. I used to think before I got my kustom 100 watt amp that weight was no issue. But lugging its 50 pounds up and down stairs repeatedly is a real pain. And with a halfstack you have to things you have to go up and down twice.

i have a 120 lb oversized cab
I have a 120 watt halfstack, and to be honest... I want to get rid of it.

Originally I bought it because I was getting a very good deal, plus a student discount, plus it would handle the higher amounts of distortion I *used* to use better compared to the other amps in the store (it was a small store).

I'm hoping that sometime soon I can sell it back to a store, or to a local musician, and pay a little bit on top of that to get myself a smaller tube combo. Probably a Traynor YCV40 or 50Blue.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack