I've been thinking lately,as there is a thread about this subject on talkbass, has anyone been doing anything different or found some who is doing something different on bass?

I'm talking avant-garde techniques, heavy use of effects(besides wah and distortion), alternate tunings, or anything beyond the norm.

i'v been htinking of forming a droneish/ambint/experimental band, and i want to make a bass statement, and i've been looking for something different to do.
i would rather staple my own hands to a train, than pray on knees that judge and blame.
I played a song where I was nearly pure ambient noise in the backround. That was kinda wierd....but everything just htought I was a second guitar. I got some cool parts outta it though.
Once at a gig I improvised an intro. A slow type intro, I hammered on and pulled off all the notes and in unison I raised and lowered the volume in each hammer on and pull off to give a strange fade in/fade out effect. It was kinda wierd.
I apologize if my explanation is not understandable.
Quote by watchingmefall
Once at a gig I improvised an intro. A slow type intro, I hammered on and pulled off all the notes and in unison I raised and lowered the volume in each hammer on and pull off to give a strange fade in/fade out effect. It was kinda wierd.
I apologize if my explanation is not understandable.

Violining. Yep i do that a lot.

A number of you will know i use high powered magnets on my bass for slides.
Quote by Tallman
Violining. Yep i do that a lot.

A number of you will know i use high powered magnets on my bass for slides.

how does that effect the sound more than a normal slide?
i would rather staple my own hands to a train, than pray on knees that judge and blame.
Quote by zeldar
how does that effect the sound more than a normal slide?

Not much, it just allows the magnet to stick to the string and not have to be held in place, as well as allowing for small "pops".
Quote by Tallman
Not much, it just allows the magnet to stick to the string and not have to be held in place, as well as allowing for small "pops".

sounds interesting.

So, anyone know any good ambient style bands that have good bass parts?

Also, does nayone know anything about prepared bass? Its very interesting.
Quote by zeldar
I've been thinking lately,as there is a thread about this subject on talkbass, has anyone been doing anything different or found some who is doing something different on bass?

I'm talking avant-garde techniques, heavy use of effects(besides wah and distortion), alternate tunings, or anything beyond the norm.

i'v been htinking of forming a droneish/ambint/experimental band, and i want to make a bass statement, and i've been looking for something different to do.

great! I do this stuff with my band all the time. If you like this kind of stuff check out John Zorn's Moonchild. Moonchild is distorted bass,drums and voice. I say voice because there's actually no lyrics in it!

the band is
Mike Patton - voice
Trevor Dunn - bass
Joey Baron - drums
John Zorn - conductor, composer

also check out John Zorn's most well known band Naked City...crazy stuff
Quote by StygianFury666
great! I do this stuff with my band all the time. If you like this kind of stuff check out John Zorn's Moonchild. Moonchild is distorted bass,drums and voice. I say voice because there's actually no lyrics in it!

the band is
Mike Patton - voice
Trevor Dunn - bass
Joey Baron - drums
John Zorn - conductor, composer

also check out John Zorn's most well known band Naked City...crazy stuff

john zorn is a musical genious, and i am very happy that someone else here is aware of what a great musician/conducter/composer he is.

i'll be sure to check out moonchild.
something cool to do is turn distortion on then hit your lowest string then put your bass on the top of your amp... it will just drone FOREVER.. and never stop