I'm really trying to learn to improvise using the blues scale, but everything i play sounds the same, I really just cant get the hang of phrasing can anyone help?
I have the same problem, all my sutff is just one giant badly played cliche and i get sick of listening to it.
Need.New.Sig.
yeah that melodic control stuff is SICK (like good sick) i would suggest listening to lots of different artists to get different influences
Or learn more and experiment with different pedals and effects and start another Mars Volta with a horrible guitarist and a great drummer and bass player.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Those links are extremely helpfull,thank you.

EDIT: That Melodic control video is fantastic, i never realised that your acctualy meant to think about what notes your going to play while your improvising, dang i feel dumb.
Need.New.Sig.
Last edited by slash_620 at Aug 4, 2006,
Quote by slash_620
EDIT: That Melodic control video is fantastic, i never realised that your acctualy meant to think about what notes your going to play while your improvising, dang i feel dumb.

Did you just play random notes when improvising?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
i have the same thinmg, but mainly when i improvise. Try and write some original solos or stuff that is compleltly different than blues, like freaky sounding (not metal, but maybe egyptian or something), that might help with folling around
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Quote by elvenkindje
Did you just play random notes when improvising?

Yeh, i suck, stop rubbing it in.
Need.New.Sig.
Sorry I had to make the comment about the Mars Volta, but case point, their guitarist actually knows no theory and if you can't tell he totally improvises his solos with little knowledge of theory(interviews actually say none.) All that just to say, he just knows how to hit the notes and makes random noises. . .. hence why I had to bring them up.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.

Lol if you follow a scale everything will eventuly run together. I like scale stuff but playing from the heart is where it is. If you just play scales and solos is scales wats the point? The solo in the thing that should not be i dont believe blongs to a strickt scale and it rules.!
Quote by notsee
Sorry I had to make the comment about the Mars Volta, but case point, their guitarist actually knows no theory and if you can't tell he totally improvises his solos with little knowledge of theory(interviews actually say none.) All that just to say, he just knows how to hit the notes and makes random noises. . .. hence why I had to bring them up.

I'd just like to add that he makes up some pretty cool stuff - and is also really unique sounding. In my opinion, I'd rather hear some experimental band playing different sounding music than another emo band slamming power chords and screaming about how they like to cut themselves.

Also, didn't Jimi Hendrix not know any theory either?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Also, didn't Jimi Hendrix not know any theory either?

Hendrix used a lot of modal stuff in his solos, esp. Mixolydian. I don't think that was by accident...
Hi, I'm Peter
I thought Hendrix used a lot of minor pentatonics? At least.. That's what the basics of the solos of the songs I've transcriptioned were about. Pretty cool though, Eminor pentatonic over a E7#9

But I think he just messed around a bit besides that, while instinctively knewing what notes sound good.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Well, I thought the Widow was awesome, until I found out most of the cool stuff that I was playing along with the guitar part was actually the bass part, that kind of ruined the song playing cool stuff to just playing an A minor and E minor chord and arpeggiating them.
Quote by paranoid joker

hendrix knew the theory, just not in the same terms as most people. he saw differant musical ideas as differant colors.

also, steve vai was interviewed on this subject, and he believes that if you are stuck in a rut like this and want your own sound, you must find everything in your musical repetoirre (sp.) that sounds remotely like someone elses playing, delete it, and replace it with something totaly differant.

its easier said then done, but a good idea even so.
Ain't it fun when you know you're gonna die young?

--Saul "Slash" Hudson

Quote by birdman267
Grow Facial Hair!
Hendrix didn't know the names of the **** he did. He relied on his ear, which, lest we forget, is the most important part of musical understanding and accomplisment. Names are merely there to help you remember the different sounds and tones you are playing, not to trap you. Look, keep practicing with the blues scale, and then move on to modes. But always keep in mind how the music sounds, not how you fingers look to the audience or how the solo will look on a tab. You can play an entire solo on one string and with the correct phrasing it'll sound like Hendrix.

Most importantly though, don't start out trying to go fast. You'll never get good if you pretend to be good. You'll just spend the rest of your life, well, pretending to be good.
Quote by sharene
I'm really trying to learn to improvise using the blues scale, but everything i play sounds the same, I really just cant get the hang of phrasing can anyone help?
How many of the original Blues artists used scales? very very few if any, concentrate on the song, the chord stucture and the groove/feel.
Why do you go from pub/bar to pub/bar and hear the same solo over and over again? the simple answer is scales!
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn