What are the atvantages/disatvantages of setin and gluedin gutar necks?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
From what I know you get better sustain with them but if they break they are harder to repair since you can't just unscrew it and put another one on. Also, I think upper fret access can be impeded by them since the neck actually has to go into the body of the guitar. I'm not positive on that last point though so don't quote me.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
better sustain
near impossible to replace
often fatter
perhaps the fret access thing

thats about it
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
It's all about preference - as a general rule, set necks tend to be the same wood as the body (mahogany on a les paul), while bolt ons tend to be made of a different wood (Alder body, maple neck on a strat).

The sustain thing isn't entirely true - A well-done bolt-on joint can have as much sustain as a set neck, and more than a set neck with too much glue.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The fret access depends on the guitar. My SG has access all the way to the neck pickup and my Les Paul has only good access to the 16th fret. From there you have to reposition your hand and it's still a struggle. From a cosmetic point of view, I think a set neck guitar just looks better. Just an opinion.
and its not near impossible its just a huge pain in the ass. also fret access will be better compared to a bolt on ( non aanj) neck. also your heel will be smaller