Page 1 of 6
Anyone like them?

they label themselves as Post Hardcore/ Other, and i feel they woyuld get the most recognition here, rather than other.

they really have some amazing music, and i think they're basically geniouses, and its very obvious to me that they enjoy Botch a whole lot.

what are your opinions on them?
i would rather staple my own hands to a train, than pray on knees that judge and blame.

Man, I've never really listened to them but I'm sooo going to check some stuff out by them today.

Dave, the drummer from Russian Circles, told me to really check these guys out. Apparently, these two bands are good friends and stuff.

Any album suggestions?

Quote by dougiecrystals

Man, I've never really listened to them but I'm sooo going to check some stuff out by them today.

Dave, the drummer from Russian Circles, told me to really check these guys out. Apparently, these two bands are good friends and stuff.

Any album suggestions?

no album suggestion, im gonna go buy some of their stuff soon, but just check out all the stuff on their myspace, i think the newest album, "The Fire From Our Throats..." is supposed to be genious, but there may be one better.
i would rather staple my own hands to a train, than pray on knees that judge and blame.
This band is amazing
Saw about two months ago and easily one of the best shows
Their newer stuff which is 'The Fire in Our Hearts....' and 'Australasia' is more of the ambient side, kind of like Explosions in the Sky and Russian Circles
Their seft titled ep is more of the sludge side and hands down the song Mammoth is one of the heaviest songs ever
I only wish they still played they earlier stuff live
Quote by Combat
metal arent they?

Not really, kinda, it really depends on the song, some songs might contain fast parts with blast beats but overall it's mellow in the way to build up to the more heavier parts, kinda like very epic-ish
But they are instrumental therefore no vocals to classify it anymore
i thought they would be since Isis is considered Metal...and they kind of sound like them. But i'm afraid to post them in there because they might be rejected and i'll be flamed up my ass.
Steel instruments shine in
A lively light of green substance
Dead or alive
Bodies and souls are waiting for the contact with these macabre tools
They are only creations made alive
Quote by benchiefjr
i thought they would be since Isis is considered Metal...and they kind of sound like them. But i'm afraid to post them in there because they might be rejected and i'll be flamed up my ass.

Isis uses metal AND hardcore elements in the exact same way that Pelican does, but Isis uses the vocalist. However, Isis always uses the theme of the Earth and becuase of that the vocal style is much more in the sense of hardcore.

Honestly, you can't classify them as Metal or Hardcore. Both of the bands use the ambiance and give the songs that very chill/relaxing mood.

I enjoy this type of music more than I do hardcore and metal, I find it different and original, however there are plenty of other bands that are this type of music that don't get any credit or people just don't know about (Melvins, Neurosis, Ocean, etc)
Quote by kaktusnpoop

I enjoy this type of music more than I do hardcore and metal, I find it different and original, however there are plenty of other bands that are this type of music that don't get any credit or people just don't know about (Melvins, Neurosis, Ocean, etc)

I like all three of those bands. Check out Cult of Luna, Giant, Old Man Gloom, Jesu and most things on Hydra Head if you haven't already.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
Quote by Gomorrah
I like all three of those bands. Check out Cult of Luna, Giant, Old Man Gloom, Jesu and most things on Hydra Head if you haven't already.

I know of all those bands, Cult of Luna is probably one of my personal favorites
Giant is amazing, however I can't find their cd Songs anywhere
Jesu is also amazing simply becuase its Justin Broadrick

I actually tried going for an internship to Hydra Head for the summer, however the University I attend wouldn't offer me credit which was mad lame
I'm gonna try again next summer
amazing band.

can someone please send me australasia(sp?) and the ep. i didn't even know that they had one.
How can I keep Stability
On such shaky ground?
Prayers that a smile will flag me down.
They are great, and 'the fire in our throats...' is a top album, but they're not a hardcore band.

As mentioned in the thread already, Neurosis, The Melvins, Jesu and Isis are like the unsung heroes for Pelican. Well worth checking them out if you enjoy Pelican.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by shai_savant
amazing band.

can someone please send me australasia(sp?) and the ep. i didn't even know that they had one.

I can send you the EP but Australasia(sp?) is on my other computer

just hit me up on aim- BoomBoom30
i saw them at a concert a while ago and thought they were pretty cool, but didnt give it much thought after that...then on some instrumental thread i remembered them and then i started dl'ing some of their stuff. i like it
I am a breathing Time Machine!
I remember downloading a song that was (supposedly) done by them. It consisted of 5 minutes of consecutive powerchords without a hint of a melody. Never tried again...
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
mir ist kalt...
has anybody ever heard their split 7" with mono? i really want to get hold of it, but there's only like 3000 ever made.

i still prefer them to isis and neurosis though.
I'm waiting for someone to send it to me over AIM later...so if i get a hold of it, i'll send it to you.
Steel instruments shine in
A lively light of green substance
Dead or alive
Bodies and souls are waiting for the contact with these macabre tools
They are only creations made alive
Quote by benchiefjr
I'm waiting for someone to send it to me over AIM later...so if i get a hold of it, i'll send it to you.

you legend, nice one.
Hmmm...I wouldn't call Pelican metal necessarily...however, their an "on the fence band" so meh. I really love Pelican, always have...Australasia kicks my ass.
Don't analyze my beliefs & I won't pick out the flaws in yours
Pelican simply owns it doesnt matter what you clasify them as...
I listened to a song of theirs once. As well as I can remember, it was rather boring. But, since most people seem to think they're great, I believe that warrants another listen.

Yeah, it's boring. It's not technically complicated enough to be interesting as instrumental music. Doesn't even get a 'meh'.
Last edited by TWISTEDFender at Aug 13, 2006,
My friend let me listen to some Pelican a couple of weeks ago,I heard The Last Day of Winter, and March Into the Sea. They're awsome.
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
PM RIC4003 or timmEH to join
Ha, Mammoth is such a good song to listen to full volume with headphones in. I prefer their more ambient new stuff. March into the sea is their masterpiece i reckon. Seen them live and they're awesome. I reccomend their DVD too.
End of passion play....
Wow, I just found this band. I'm only on my first song, but they sound pretty awesome. "Drought" is all I've herad, but I'm sure the rest is just as good.

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I guess they have some metal elements, nevertheless they are a fantastic band
Ah, great fvckin' band! I've yet to see them live though..i've heard only good things about their live show. Their latest album is beyond great..love Aurora Borealis.
Though very different, Pelican always reminds me of Isis...and Mogwai (another great band).
I've seen them twice so far, and both time they blew me away! They keep progressing their sound with each new release, which I find gives them a much more lasting appeal.

My favourite release is probably Australasia, but my favourite song is March to the Sea. I'm eagerly awaiting their upcoming album
Quote by &serenading
has anybody ever heard their split 7" with mono? i really want to get hold of it, but there's only like 3000 ever made.

i still prefer them to isis and neurosis though.

They are available on eBay just about any week and sell for quite reasonable

I am concentrating on getting all 6 versions of the March Into the Sea ep, very cool stuff. I got lucky and got the Hydrahead preorder turntable slipmat also of the above ep
1980 Gibson Explorer e/2
1979 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty
2006 USA Jackson Select RR1T
Pelican > ye soul
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour