Recently, while on holiday in Norway, i came accross a curious folk instrument. It was a violin but underneathe the strings were for or five "resonant" strings. these apparently resonated when the violin was played to produce a richer tone. This is nothing like a 12-string guitar as the strings actually run under the fretboard (or in this case fingerboard) and are never plucked or bowed(?)

What i really want to know is
1) Do guitars made in this way exist (pics would be nice)
2) what would the understings be tuned to to pick up the strings resonance
3) how much would it change the sound or would it just give better sustain?
4) have any guitarmakers (luthiers?) here actually made one and was it a pig to build?

Sorry about all the spelling mistakes etc. i'm just back from holidayand very tired.
Well the dutch guitarist Erik Visser uses something along the lines of what you're describing (the really short second neck is strung with quite alot of short strings which go through the body to create the effect you're talking about):
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Aug 4, 2006,
Close but not quite (i think)
i'll post a pick in a sec* of where the strings ran but for now it was from the head under the fingerboard ->between body and strings -> base of bridge

EDIT: i don't actually know how to get a pic from my computer into the thread
Last edited by doive at Aug 4, 2006,
Quote by doive
i'll post a pick in a sec of where the strings ran but for now it was from the head under the fingerboard ->between body and strings -> base of bridge

The strings might not be going under the fretboard, but they are used to create resonance (the only time i've seen him playing the second neck, was when he tried to create the sound of falling rain).
oh ok
that sounds like what i might be looking for then
I'm guessing they're pretty rare though.. although not as non-existant as i first thought.

What's the sound of it like is it any nicer/fuller?
How many strings are on that second neck? think of how long that would take to tune...especially as there's no tuning pegs
Quote by doive
oh ok
that sounds like what i might be looking for then
I'm guessing they're pretty rare though.. although not as non-existant as i first thought.

What's the sound of it like is it any nicer/fuller?
How many strings are on that second neck? think of how long that would take to tune...especially as there's no tuning pegs

I must admit the guitar sounded incredible. Unfortunatly i can't give you much info about it. This particular 12-string was a custom built, but i'm guessing there will be more out there... Well good luck and happy hunting!
Quote by doive
i'll post a pick in a sec* of where the strings ran but for now it was from the head under the fingerboard ->between body and strings -> base of bridge

EDIT: i don't actually know how to get a pic from my computer into the thread

http://imageshack.us/

Host the image here, and send us the link!