randy rhoads v custom
120 watt crate amp
505 zoom processor
ibanez weeping demon wah

"no one you can tell, for youve been raptured to hell"
-me
We all use the chromatic scale.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
i guess so
i suppose you just have to mess around to get just the right sound that he does with it
i dont know
isnt he attending berklee atm?
so he's probably learnt some really cool harmony stuff blah blah
lucky git
i'd quite like to go to berklee, but ah too much bother, ill find britains equivalent...
so really its just finding what you think sounds pretty cool
an example of the mixing of scales, in second heartbeat the whoaaaa whoaaa whoaaaaing before the solo
it is in C minor
i think
or D
anyway
then the last harmony is in fact in C/D major
but it sounds pretty cool
Saw them live at Ozzfest just the other day. Chromatic, pentatonic, diminished, and that's basically it. Aeolian sometimes too.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
well seeing as every single note is in the chromatic scale^^
but they defo use more than you've just said there mate...
for example, burn it down verse riff is phrygian...
hmmm its been ages since ive played a7x's stuff...
lets think... i think the wicked end, the choir breakdown bit uses some wholetone stuff im not sure...
they defo use diminished runs and scales quite a bit, but that tags with the harmonic minor stuff...
but the end of the bat country duet part theres a tiny lil diminished run...
chromatics everywhere, especially beast and the harlot solo...
they use a bit of everything really, its really too complicated for me to bother to try and word it so you could understand... im not very good at that.
but still, just play around, and if you want to write stuff like them just record a loop of you playing one of the backing riffs for one of their solos that you like and mess around for a while seeing what decent licks you can come up with.
its all in the ear...

edit: oh and i think you'll find aeolian is actually used a lot^^
Last edited by Godderz_24 at Aug 10, 2006,
Alright first of all artists don't use specific scales all the time. So many people come in here asking that, as if they know which one they'll start playing like them. Artists use different styles which you can adapt if you'd like. Second, this question has been asked about Synyster way too many times. Do a search and you'll find everything you need.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
random notes and/or chromatic scale
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
*Headbutts desk* everything in western music uses the chromatic scale ^^ its all 12 notes in an octave, therefore it doesnt matter what the hell you play, B harmonic minor, c major, e dorian whatever, its all in the chromatic scale too, adding chromatics to a run however is adding notes that are out of the current scale you are playing eg you are playing a B aeolian but play a major 3rd above of B. so in a way you are right axe grinder, unless you're trying to be clever by saying they use chromatic scale because of the explaination i just said... and random notes would be the added out of key notes, so the added chromatics into a certain scale.
Quote by Godderz_24
*Headbutts desk* everything in western music uses the chromatic scale ^^ its all 12 notes in an octave, therefore it doesnt matter what the hell you play, B harmonic minor, c major, e dorian whatever, its all in the chromatic scale too, adding chromatics to a run however is adding notes that are out of the current scale you are playing eg you are playing a B aeolian but play a major 3rd above of B. so in a way you are right axe grinder, unless you're trying to be clever by saying they use chromatic scale because of the explaination i just said... and random notes would be the added out of key notes, so the added chromatics into a certain scale.

Save your headache. Avenged Sevenfold uses alot of chromatic runs in their lead work. Beast and the harlot solo is a good example.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Quote by Godderz_24

if you take a look at any of their solos, you'll see that all the fast runs are simply chromatic runs using all 12 tones...the diatonic scale used in the majority of western music uses only 7 tones...i really don't think he has any sense of what scale he's using when he plays those solos, so i wouldn't call them scales with added tones

for example, in the Beast and the Harlot - he repeats 22-21-20-19 on 5 strings...plays 18-17-16-15 on all 5 strings...and finally repeats the same pattern with 15-14-13-12...does that look in any way like a scale with added tones; looks purely chromatic to me
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

they dont base there music off any scale couse ive heard this Q&A in a interveiw with them they just kinda make it up they use what they call the A7X scale.
My setup:

Ibanez gsa

Gibson g-10 20 watt amp(big thing come in small packeges)

california 20" cable chord

Black and white checkerd strap of some sort
haha...probably....my friend plays purely out of the chromatic scale cause he can tell what sounds good before he plays it, and can get whatever sound he wants. so synyster is probably the same.

HxC
Quote by axe_grinder247
if you take a look at any of their solos, you'll see that all the fast runs are simply chromatic runs using all 12 tones...the diatonic scale used in the majority of western music uses only 7 tones...i really don't think he has any sense of what scale he's using when he plays those solos, so i wouldn't call them scales with added tones

for example, in the Beast and the Harlot - he repeats 22-21-20-19 on 5 strings...plays 18-17-16-15 on all 5 strings...and finally repeats the same pattern with 15-14-13-12...does that look in any way like a scale with added tones; looks purely chromatic to me

not ALL of their fast runs are chromatic, actually i think the only song on city of evil with completely chromatic runs is beast and the harlot. The guy that says they use their "own scale" tbh thats not true, if you listen to their music and play along you can see its evidently in some sort of mode, or a mix of them, maybe using the "pitch-axis" theory that satriani and vai etc use without realising it...

Quote by HxC Til The End
haha...probably....my friend plays purely out of the chromatic scale cause he can tell what sounds good before he plays it, and can get whatever sound he wants. so synyster is probably the same.

HxC

your friend is probably playing some sort of diatonic scale because "what sounds good" to most people is the diatonic scales that you hear commonly in western music, so he's probably playing aeolian or something without realising it...
and pretty much any combination of notes that sounds good has some name on it... i mean look at the friggin scale dictionary on guitar pro, wtf?
i think the reason why it seems that he's using PAT using chromatic runs is because of the lack of rhythm guitar that contains any sort of minor or major tonality...they use mostly power chords and such behind the solos, so it can't really be described as Pitch Axis Theory
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

well that was possibly the easiest way of explaining it...
i knew what i meant :]
it is kind of pitch axis in a way as playing over a D powerchord would enable you to use ANY mode in D, so D phygian, dorian aeolian harmonic minor, whatever.
so in a way...
He uses alot of different shaped arpaggios and somethimes the harmonic minor scale.

e---------------------------------------- 7 8 10
b-------------------------------6 9 10
g-----------------------5 7 9
d---------------6 7 9
a-------5 7 8
e5 7 8
synyster always play d minor, every song off of waking the falen is in d minor, and city off evil as well except burn it down, so most of his runs are based around the d minor modes using chromatic pasing tones and stuff like that, and weird bends and vibratos and slides are key to getting the signature synyster style, he got that style from steely dan, a lot of his runs and stuff. So in order to solo in style of syn play d minor scales and and diminished runs included witha few sweeps and learn to vibrato the notes diff ways and learn some 80's runs and throw some of those in there as well.
MY Setup
carvin v3 full stack 100 watt all tube power
a 1981 carvin (m-22 pickup) great tone
Rack Setup
carvin compressor
carvin fx 2
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Rocktron Noise Gate
furman power conditioner
He uses his own "Synyster Scale" , Diminished, Harmonic Minor and Blues scale ideas it was in this months issue of Total Guitar
It's largely based in minor with frequent use of chromatic notes. No, using the same scale will not make you sound like him.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Lots of natural minor, but he toys around very frequently with chromatic runs; take a look at the "Beast and the Harlot" solo for heavy chromatics. Because of this and the awkward vibrato and trebly tone, to me a lot of his solos sound very chaotic and disjointed; if you want to play like him, just examine as much of his work as possible.
@ Godderz_24

Yeah, i can confirm that he plays some of those scales. For example the mixolydian scale in Almost Easy.

@I Am Cat

^^ You don't have to tell us it's in D. That's only because M.Shadows sings in D, you know. But, yes i think you're right about the way he plays.