Well i got my bass yesterday, a rubbish one in a set for £170 with amp.
The thickest string snapped so i'm gonna get new strings but anyway...

What's the best exercises i can do to make me a faster player?

What's the best exercises for stretching the fingers and making them more flexible?

What's some good beginners bass songs?

What are some songs that good for exercising fingers?

What's a good site for basses?

Thanks in advance
Holy crap! You snapped your low E?! Jesus Christ!!

As for your questions

Work With a metronome. Start slow. Practice scales and stuff.

Songs-(Dont flame me for this) Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom- Nirvana. La Grange- ZZ Top. Theres alot more. Look at bands such as Nirvana, Blink 182 etc. Theyre bass lines are easy.
I like to use the "Spider" technique. On your E string, play F, F#, G, G# (Frets 1, 2, 3, and 4). Next, on your A String play B, C, C#, D (Frets 2, 3, 4, 5). Continue for all strings. When you get past the G string, go back to the D string, but keep going toward the higher frets.

What's the best exercises for stretching the fingers and making them more flexible?
Personally, I use a stress ball. Also, one of those things with two handles that you squeeze as hard as you can.

I'm not sure of what kind of music you're into, but if you learn Aerials by System Of A Down played an octave higher so you don't have to de-tune, It's a great workout for learning your C minor scale. Try it out

Pretty much anything by metallica. If you've only had your bass for a day, then I would suggest "For Whom The Bell Tolls." When you progress to the right level, try "Master Of Puppets" (that should be a while, that's a HELL of a workout).

www.musiciansfriend.com

Have fun, and welcome to the boards!
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.

-Scales, learn lots of scales, try and play scales up and down the fretboard once you feel more comfortable and feel more experienced. Play with a metronome to get your timing down.

-I learned "exotic" and altered scales which had some big reaches and I play them before band practice and shows to warm up, of somebody can tell me the code for tabs, I'll show them to you. Also, just reach as far as you can (without hurting yourself too bad) and run up and down the freatboard, do this on each string. Practice, practice and more practice

-Basically all Nirvana, Blink 182 and Green Day songs. System of a Down's songs are pretty easy, look for simpler RHCP songs like Higher Ground.

-Any songs really.

-Talkbass.com and ActiveBass.com and you're always welcome here, we're a friendly bunch

Hope I helped.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Thanks for all the replies they really do help alot!
and twistedsister, I snapped the end of the string, the part that is thin so you can wrap it round the key.
Really do need new strings, hopefully i'll have them soon but they are expensive!!!
Has anyone got links to scales i can use to make me faster and make my fingers suitable for playing? That'd be amazingly helpful ^^

Thanks in advance ^^
^ If someone can give me the tab code I can give you some scales.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
The thickest string snapped so i'm gonna get new strings but anyway...
-GHS bass boomers

-practice ascending and descending scales at a speed you are comfortable at and speed it up as you go

-wiggle them a lot? i dont have a good answer for that one, sorry

-smoke on the water. hahah sorry i had to. basically any green day bass line requires little to no skill to perform, so you could start there if you really wanted to... for more advanced stuff id say incubus and stuff but it all really depends on what you are looking to be playing

-any song with a walking bass line is good practice. again you can use the scale excercise here too. if you want to have some real fun, try learning the intro to "panic attack" by dream theater. that will improve your string-hopping technique

-this here forum is mighty fine, bassmasta.net i think has some nice forums too, but you might want to check out certain brand's websites, warwickbass.com, ibanez.com, etc.

i hope my answers are of some sort of use to you
go spend $20 or so on either Billy Sheehan's 'Basic Bass' or 'Advanced Bass" dvd. I own advanced and only recently have I really taken a serious effot to do the stretches and things he teaches. very helpful
Ok so today i've learnt custard pie considering the low E is only used for like, 6 notes.
I can do it pretty well!
Has anyone got GP5 and could make a file or a few with finger exercises for bass on and send me them over msn?
That'd be amazingly helpful
Adolf_Jew_Lover@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks in advance! ^^
-I play frets 5 and 6 on all strings using my index and middle for fretting, then do that w/e hammer and pull offs. Then do frets 5 and 7 with your index and ring, up and down normal, then hammered and pulled-off. 5 and 8 with pinky, etc. Also, chromatic scales, as they are called, are nifty. It's just frets 1234, 2345, 3456, etc, as you move from string to string. I do that till fret 12.

-Read above. Except, you may want to try (after doing the 5-6,5-7 technique) doing 5-7 with your index and middle, 5-8 with ring, and even 5-9 with your pinky (quite a stretch).

-Most of punk rock is pretty simple. Try some Social Distortion. Really easy, repetitive basslines. Get comfy with those and then try some more complicated (don't let that intimidate you) songs by SOAD, or any other modern rock/punk rock band. They're all relatively simple. A lot of popular bands (if you can tolerate them) have simple basslines as well.

-Aerials is a good excercise song if you play it on your A stringl. I know there are tabs out there that have it on there. Don't worry about drop tuning if you just want to excercise. Try playing it with as many fretting fingers as possible, none of the stretches are that far.

- talkbass.net, musiciansfriend.com, samash.com
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by hatebreed219
^ If someone can give me the tab code I can give you some scales.

Remove the spaces. You could have just gone to tab talk and looked it up.

To the thread starter:

I would recommend using alternating patterns for finger speed/cordination.

EX.

G|-------------------------1-3-2-4-|
D|-----------------1-3-2-4---------|   Then come back down.
A|---------1-3-2-4-----------------|
E|-1-3-2-4-------------------------|

G|-------------------------4-1-3-2-|
D|-----------------4-1-3-2---------| Then come back down.
A|----------4-1-3-2----------------|
E|-4-1-3-2-------------------------|

Make up your own patterns on the first 4 frets. Then make sure to go up and down with the combinations.

I run 5 note patterns in strict alternate fingering anywhere from 50 to 100 times a day. (10 run groups either 5 or 10 times.) As fast as possible. This isn't a point you're at yet but it's something you should work towards.
Last edited by elemenohpee at Aug 6, 2006,
Quote by twistedsister
Holy crap! You snapped your low E?! Jesus Christ!!

My low E snapped 3 times already in 2 years :P
I now have a low B so I'll see what I can do :P

G------------------------------
D---------------------2-3--
A------------1-3-4----------
E---1-3-4-------------------- 

now here's that ^ scale altered below...

G-------------------------------------
D--------------------1-3---------------
A-----------1-3-4------------------------
E---1-3-4------------------------------- 

and some more...

G---------------------3-5------
D---------2-3-5-6-----------------
A---3-4-------------------------
E----------------------------

G---------------0-2-4-5------
D------0-2-3-------------------
A---3---------------------------
E---------------------------------

I play these up, then back down to the first note several times.

I apologize for not knowing what scales they are, I have no formal training or knowledge of music theory. But if anybody can figure out what they are it might help.

I like these scales because they make you use your pinky more and reach a decent distance.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I snapped the school bass' low E...

anyhoo, as far as songs go, Orion by Metallica was the first song i learned to play, you should have fun with that, and Rearranged by Limp Bizkit is similar to that one. They're good for getting comfortable with the Root-Fifth-Octave-type hand posistion, which i find a lot of songs in the intermediate category use.
The Space Farmer and Co-Founding Bastardo of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
^ i snapped a low E once, i was tuning it while drunk and had my finger on the wrong fret and it snapped and nearly hit my eye!

Ozzy your name kills me man.. ozzisagenious, and genius is spelt wrong. classic!