love that video. check out the video for Happiness In Slavery. very odd. the video for The Perfect Drug rocks too (absinthe! )
Very great director made Johnny Cash's cover of hurt
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
i seem to be in the minority with this, especially among my friends, but NINs Hurt > Cashs Hurt.
with a capital '>'
I personally like Cash's better, not only do I like him better as a whole over NIN, but it's so fitting. After that video was made June Carter Cash died, and then he did right after. Right after Hurricane Katrina happened, Trent Reznor and RHCP and a bunch of other bands did a benefit. Trent did Cash's version on piano, but he used his voice, and I thought it was incredible, I was on the verge of tears.
one thing that bugs me is when people say that Johnny Cash had his drug problems, so he gets the song. as if Trent didnt have similar problems, and didnt WRITE THE DAMN SONG. aside from that, its personal taste. personally, i prefer the original. was never a big Cash fan anyway, not my kinda music.
Quote by Michelangelo193
I personally like Cash's better, not only do I like him better as a whole over NIN, but it's so fitting. After that video was made June Carter Cash died, and then he did right after. Right after Hurricane Katrina happened, Trent Reznor and RHCP and a bunch of other bands did a benefit. Trent did Cash's version on piano, but he used his voice, and I thought it was incredible, I was on the verge of tears.

"Cash's version" as you put it only changes one line really:

Where it's supposed to say "I wear this crown of shit"
Cash sings "I wear this crown of thorns"

And of course Trent would use his voice... he wrote the ****ing song. The way Trent plays Hurt live is so much better than anything else. Besides The Great Below.

Speaking of Closer... I'd like to point at my avatar
The way trent sing it makes you feel like your going to die. Its so creeping and quiet and it has to be the best performance of all time for making you **** your pants. Johnny Cash's I loved but not as much as trents becuase he doesnt sing as well but he was about to die and the song perfectly pictured that horrible moment.
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by Lukeisonfire
The way trent sing it makes you feel like your going to die. Its so creeping and quiet and it has to be the best performance of all time for making you **** your pants. Johnny Cash's I loved but not as much as trents becuase he doesnt sing as well but he was about to die and the song perfectly pictured that horrible moment.
+1
^Thank You
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
actually, at first Trent didnt like the idea, didnt want his song covered, tho he did say he was flattered. apparently it was only when he saw the video that he sat back and went "wow"

it is a very cool video, and i can see why people would like the Cash version, but as i said, im not a massive Cash fan
theres a friend of mine who tries to murder me everytime i say that. hehe. i still live.
Yeah I know. I have cried during the cash version * dont call me a pussy* Becuase he died and i am a big fan of his music
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by Michelangelo193
I can respect that, it took me a long time to like Cash. I didn't know that about Trent though, even though he is pretty arrogant about that, great musician, just arrogant. Then again if I made that music I would be too.
he said he felt the idea of it being covered was "gimmicky"; guess he didnt want any untruths done to his music. that said, i can imagine him being an arrogant guy. dont know him tho, so i really cant judge!
Quote by Alucard II
i seem to be in the minority with this, especially among my friends, but NINs Hurt > Cashs Hurt.
with a capital '>'

I agree! It is actually very rare for me to find someone who also prefers the original over Cash's version. Not that I don't like the his cover but I've never really been a big fan of his work.

I've been told by alot of people that they don't like the vocals and sound effects Reznor did on the song and I understand. But I've always thought that if you listen to 'Hurt' as part of the album, TDS, instead as an individual song...it becomes much more powerul....and it makes sense especially becauase The Downward Spiral is a concept album about madness, frustration, and self-destruction...and to end with a song like "Hurt" is damn great. Not sure if any of this made sense...i hope it did.

Hello Alucard and Lukeisonfire! Long time no see, huh?
Last edited by TheWretched at Aug 8, 2006,
^ you make sense as always, nice to see you're still alive! back for good?
speaking of Hurt in the context of TDS, i love how it ends in just noise. thats a very nice touch, especially seen as its predecessed by a song like Hurt.