First off, I've been using steel strings for about 2 years now and I change all the strings every 3 months. My questions are...

1. Do you prefer using steel strings or nylon strings?

2. Is there any specific difference on the sounds?

3. Which type of strings tend to last longer?

4. What are the best steel/nylon strings u can buy?
well it depends on whether youre using a guitar built for steel or nylon strings. on my acoustic i use d'addarios bronze. my dad's flamenco has la bella flamenco strings. it really all depends on your preference. just buy different kinds and guages until you find the set for you. on a seperate thought, for some reason my strings get encased in crap after about a 3 days and i donno why
aethespear clean your neck its probanly what kills your strings becuase its so dirty
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
1. Do you prefer using steel strings or nylon strings?-I like Steel But i haven?t really played with Nylon to much

2. Is there any specific difference on the sounds?-Nylon have a softer or warmer sound to them

3. Which type of strings tend to last longer?-I dono

4. What are the best steel/nylon strings u can buy? That a matter of opinion
1. Do you prefer using steel strings or nylon strings? I use nylon for classical, steel for regular acoustic.

2. Is there any specific difference on the sounds?Nylon sounds a lot smoother, and brighter, and, i can't really think of the word, less rough i guess.

3. Which type of strings tend to last longer? I think steel, because my nylons keep breaking.

4. What are the best steel/nylon strings u can buy? Honestly, i have no idea, I ised D'addarios for steel string, i can't remember the brand of my nylon strings.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Ok I have one last question, my hands tend to sweat while playing and my steel strings rust after 2-3 months. What are the best strings for me?
Last edited by Mobsta at Aug 8, 2006,
Have a try of Rotosound, I use them for my Acoustic as well s my electric, and they don't rust, and stay pretty clean as long as your hands aren't very dirty when you play.
I heard Elixirs are pretty good as well. Does anyone recommend using that?
2-3 months is a long time to go without changing strings. elixers will last the longest. i dont like them.

are your strings silver? those are for electric. acoustic strings will be bronze or phosphor bronze (gold or copper in color).

go to www.stringbusters.com and click 'faq' at the bottom right of the screen. lots of string info there.

you cant interchange nylon and steel strings, you will ruin your guitar.
what
1. Steel

2. Steel is more loud and resonant. Can have more twang. Nylon has a more classical sound. Not so resonant.

3. Nylon for the win.

4. D'Addario's for steel. Not so sure about nylons.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

First, Nylon and Steel Strings are really meant for different kinds of guitars. They sound comepletely different. Nylon strings are meant for fingerpicking, and Steel strings are meant for strumming and more folk style fingerpicking. Generally steel stringed guitars are louder and brighter, while nylon is quieter and warmer and softer. But I have never heard of anyone putting Nylon strings on a Steel Stringed guitar. As for changing strings and how long strings last, I feel that the elixir nanoweb or polyweb strings seem to last the longest and sound the best (I use Nanoweb).

I change my strings about once a month, and even then sometimes it seems that I have gone too long without changing strings. How long strings last has a lot more to do with how much you play than what kind of strings you use. If you play so little that you can go 3 months without changing strings, I dont really think it matters about how long the strings last, because it is not like you are really wearing out strings all the time and losing that much money because of it.