hey,

Can i scallop a guitar neck without the dremel? can i jsut get the measurements for how thick it needs to be and stuff, and make a sanding block to use? (i am too cheap to buy a dremel of that type >_<
Well technically speaking it can be done using only manpower. Use a round filer 1st then sand it smooth, however it might not be as accurate as when you're using a machine. It depends, may take half an hour per fret, or more...

Anyways, good luck re-attaching your elbow back after you've done the 5th fret.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Sanding works. You can make blocks, just make the right diameter curve for each fret.
These go to eleven...
I used a round file for mine.... 1/4 inch for upper, 1/2 inch when you get lower.

I still prefer fretboards over scallops though....
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
well i am only going to scallop from the 12th up to the 24th, so i will still have the versatility of the fret board, but be able to make those cool sounds like with the scallops. so do you think that the handsanding is a good idear?
Wait..you are scalloping your neck so you can make sounds that scallops make? :S

How about using a round file for each fret I am just going to scallop it pretty lightly, so I have to finish it again with lacquer? And what about the inalys?
Quote by Invictious
Wait..you are scalloping your neck so you can make sounds that scallops make? :S

How about using a round file for each fret I am just going to scallop it pretty lightly, so I have to finish it again with lacquer? And what about the inalys?

Dude, scallops sound aweful. Oysters and clams are waaaaaaaay better.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club