well my old amp is officially busted so im looking for a new one and i need suggestions

heres what im looking for

around 50 watts
a good warm clear tone
good distortion channels
a modern rock sound

and whats the difference between a solid state and tube amp? i know the tones but i dont know if i should be aiming towards getting a solid state or tube. so help me out guys
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
tube amp will give you the warm feel you are looking for and they generally have a solid distortion/overdrive channel. and if you are looking for 50 watts tube thats pretty loud but if you are looking for 50 watts solid state thats not to loud at all..so..i guess if that helps any use it up.
Quote by demonic_fishie
I can't imagine why you'd want to orally nurture your own swinesabre. It'd be like swishing a ten-day-old Austrian cheese around in your mouth.
Tube is a better sound but higher price.
I have a Vox AD50, and it's an amazing amp. It uses tubes, but since it's a hybrid (I'll let somebody else explain that) the price is only around $350. If you have more to spend, Vox makes another amp like it at 60 watts for about twice the price, but there are more amp models, the effects are more versatile, and it has stomp box modelling.
Quote by noah22791
If you want a warm tone, I would aim towards tube amps. Tubes are known for giving a "warm" sound.

This looks like a really nice amp, 50 watts too. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615

That amps the one I'm talking about. It's great. There's a power adjust, too. Anywhere from .5 to 50 watts, so you can drive the tubes at low volumes.
^ thats not really a tube amp. it just has one tibe in the driver section. that really doesn't affect anything. its still a good amp but its really not a tube amp. Clincher if you want a real tube amp i would suggest a fender hot rod deville
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star
^ thats not really a tube amp. it just has one tibe in the driver section. that really doesn't affect anything. its still a good amp but its really not a tube amp. Clincher if you want a real tube amp i would suggest a fender hot rod deville

Yeah, I know, hybrids aren't tube. . . Still sounds good, and is really versatile.
not sure if they carry tubes, but i have a solid state line 6, those are really nice. they have great distortion channels.
Quote by red star

I just noticed you play and AD30!
^lol yeah. its a good amp. really versatile. but i'd rather have a nice tube amp.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
thanks for the tips. i also need the amp to be around or under 500 dollars, and im looking for a modern rock sound

edit: also along the lines of nu metal, that dark and brooding sound
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Last edited by clincher09 at Aug 4, 2006,