I am thinking about getting a guitar with a locking trem. I have heard that it's really hard to change the strings. I've also heard that it's hard to set them up. I play alot of metal and shred and really want one since most metal/shred players have them. All the guitars I have now are stop tails or string throughs and one is a fender with a trem. Are these things true? Will it be worth it to get one or will I end up throwing my guitar on the ground in frustration. Thanks!

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
there not really that badd.... alt. tuneings kinda suck once the nut is locked down.. but thats about it...
Quote by metallica040
I hope they arnt that frustrating cuz the guitar I want has one of them.

I guess you know what I'm goin through.

JACKSON

it's really not that bad, changing stirings takes about an hour and a half on my ZR trem. Just use it like your supposed to and it'll be fine.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
it's really not that bad, changing stirings takes about an hour and a half on my ZR trem. Just use it like your supposed to and it'll be fine.

How do you change the strings? It takes me 15 minutes to change the strings on my guitars but I have no idea how to change the strings on a locking trem.

JACKSON

Its not hard its just tedious to go through all the precedures and everything. VERY time consuming at first. Believe it or not it took me around 1.5 hour the first time i tried to tune it (i know i'm stupid).
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
I a floyd rose setup on my kramer but had it removed and replaced with a fixed bridge about 4 years ago. After that, guitar's action is much tighter and stays in tune.
mmm... i deal with my floyd rose every day since everything on it is rusted and just crap anyway but if you read up on them aint that bad and if you get a good trem then it can do you wonders but if you get a **** one expect nothing but headaches. and for your first time changing string expect it to be a long time
It can be quite confusing to tune. Because, for example, you have the top E string in perfect key, and the A String is way out, you tune the A string and the E string moves out of tune. It can be quite annoying, but you'll eventually get quicker at it.

Another draw back is that you can't drop strings.
Quote by Danny Ibanez
It can be quite confusing to tune. Because, for example, you have the top E string in perfect key, and the A String is way out, you tune the A string and the E string moves out of tune. It can be quite annoying, but you'll eventually get quicker at it.

Another draw back is that you can't drop strings.

well you can, it's just harder.

Besides, there are nearly no good songs in dropped tunings.

And before you get it, ask yourself if you'll really use it. I play alot of Pantera and Slayer myself, so I almost wouldn't be able to play a hardtail, but some people would have no use for it.
Dickless.
Whatever you do, get a guitar with a FR.... All of jacksons lfrs suck unless you get a soloist which has an ofr.

Go with a guitar with an OFR, OR an upper end Ibanez.... Edge/lo-pro/Edge pro/ZR trems.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Thanks for the vid it makes me feel alot better about getting a trem because it doesn't look as hard as I thought. I was wondering if agile has good lfr's (which I've heard.)

JACKSON

Quote by MetalMilitia212
well you can, it's just harder.

Besides, there are nearly no good songs in dropped tunings.

And before you get it, ask yourself if you'll really use it. I play alot of Pantera and Slayer myself, so I almost wouldn't be able to play a hardtail, but some people would have no use for it.

I'm pretty sure I need a trem because I play alot of dragonforce. Ive been playing through the fire and flames on a fender and its a challenge.

JACKSON

It was a pain in the ass when I first got mine.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
if you use your trem enough, and you get a good trem, it's worth it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Take time to do it right the first time, and the next times you wont have to worry about it. It takes a bit longer than any non-trem guitar, but its the price you pay for the feature.
EVH
I use my Edge Pro 24/7, it's a great trem. It's not hard at all the change strings, even the first time. It might take a little time, but as long as you look up a video or something you should be fine. PickNGrin has a floyd changing video on here, there is also a nice one on Google.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!