can you explain these neck joints to me? I understand bolt-on, though

• neck-thru
  • set-in
  • thru-body
Member #5 of the The Haunted fan club.
neck-thru and thru-body are the same.

they are one long peice of wood which makes up the neck, and extends all the way through the body and has peices of tonewod glued to either side

set in necks are like bolt-ons, but instead of having the neck screwed in, the neck is glued in.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
neck thru's tend to have better sustain and Give great access to the upper frets, Set ins, are like the go between of neck thru and bolt on, Good sustain, pretty good access to the upper frets, bolt ons are on the other side of the neck spectrum, Good/ok sustain, Good/ok access to the upper frets, but All have there own goods and bads, Some are just different (not better or worse) in things like: tone, bass response, smoothness, neck replacement,

Edit: oh better answer Will_Minus,
Quote by Spade1
neck thru's tend to have better sustain and Give great access to the upper frets, Set ins, are like the go between of neck thru and bolt on, Good sustain, pretty good access to the upper frets, bolt ons are on the other side of the neck spectrum, Good/ok sustain, Good/ok access to the upper frets, but All have there own goods and bads, Some are just different (not better or worse) in things like: tone, bass response, smoothness, neck replacement,

Edit: oh better answer Will_Minus,

well neck thru yes will have the best sustain and fret access due to their no heel at all. Set in is generally another name for a set neck and its not in between a set neck and a neck thru. its a set neck your thinking of a set thru which is a set neck but has a longer neck tenon. and bolt ons can have amazing fret access its called an 'all access neck joint' and a proper tight bolt on neck can have just as much sustain as a set neck its all in the fitting of neck to body.