how long do you guys (that are good guitarists) practice for? i've been playing for 1 1/2 years now, playing about 1 or 2 hours a day, and i've made good progress but i don't know if it's enough to become a serious guitarist
Gear:
Washburn WG587 (7 String)
Crate 120 Watt GFX 212T (3 Channel)

Pedals:
Distortion
Flanger

Quote by eltyr18
Never heard of Dream Theater, and what you mean by a complete band?
3-4 hours a day of serious practice and by serious I mean you actually know what you are ****ing doing not just strumming chords and playing random notes.
Any more than two hours a day is almost impossible for me, as I have a job, a girlfriend, and a life to worry about.

Although that's only SELF practicing time. You also have to set time aside for BAND practice, which is a five or six hour block twice or thrice a week.

It's all about what you want to acomplish and where you think you're going. For a PART TIME player or a HOBBY player, an hour or two will suffice.
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
well i'm just asking how much free time i should devote to guitar. i have a girlfriend and a life to worry about also, im not the guy who locks himself in his room for 4 hours practicing alternate picking. thanks for the input tho
Gear:
Washburn WG587 (7 String)
Crate 120 Watt GFX 212T (3 Channel)

Pedals:
Distortion
Flanger

Quote by eltyr18
Never heard of Dream Theater, and what you mean by a complete band?
Well I dont got a job, But im doin music at college which is a guarenteed 6 hours practice a week. but in my own time i practice up to 8 hours a day. but if you want to learn enough you will make progress no matter how often you play.

Cm
if i have lots of free time for example when i am not going out with mates or not doing anything in general: 3 hours max

when im in a normal day of college, friends, going out: 1 hour