my name is Steve, i am trying to start up a band and all, but first i am writing my own songs. that is where i am having trouble. i am having immense trouble trying to truly express myself through my guitar (yamaha rgx a2).it seems every time i think of someting i cannot find the right notes to play that i have dreamed in my mind. if you have any suggestions at all, send me a private message right away please.
i just wing it until i come up with a riff. After that i try to make the riff complex if it needs to be. but wing a riff and go from there. just pratice.
but playing what i imagine is kinda hard. i'm not that good yet but i am getting there.
A lot of it has to do with different scales. Make up ur own little riffs and stuff. Find a way to put them into the song. Another thing...u say ur trying to start a band...when you make up songs i believe that all of your band members have to be there with you to tell u if they like it or not. Because its all about the music you guys like.
some times the notes u hear in ur head dont exist on your guitar as strange as that sounds.
meow :3
I used to have that same problem, but I found an effective, but slightly embarrassing way to deal with it.

Remember what ever lick, solo or tune you have in your head, then hum it into a microphone and record it onto your computer. Once you have it stored there, you wont be able to forget how it goes and you'll be able to practice playing along to it with the guitar until you work out the right notes.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by metalmania08
but playing what i imagine is kinda hard. i'm not that good yet but i am getting there.

well, you'll have to train your ear to do this quickly and on the dot without using the hit-or-miss method...one way to train your ear is to increase your ability to recognize relative pitch...this is, identifying an interval and figuring out the note i.e. playing a C then playing a D, realizing it's a major second and figuring out it's a D without counting over the frets...this comes with experience and familiarizing yourself with intervals

one way to do this is to record (if possible) each interval and listen to them daily, while also practicing on your guitar...you can play a note, play another random note and try to name the interval, then check...or you can play a note, name an interval, and play that note...the possibilities are endless

i would also suggest learning the interval patterns on each string so that you can improve your visual interpretation of intervals as well
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
thanks, i actually have a recorder and done some of the humming but learning the notes like that is a great idea, isn't that how you can develop the perfect pitch?
Quote by ouchies
you cant develop perfect pitch. you have to be born with it

Or it could, you know, be a myth?
Takamine EG531SSC - "Kim"
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - "Jessica"
-Texas Special Pickups
Crate Palomino v16 Class A Tube Amp

Well it's floodin down in Texas
not again, everyone shut up about whether or not you can be born with perfect pitch, there was a whole thread of 20 pages discussing, then arguing, about this subject, and perhaps we should stay on topic here and not make another one...keep it peaceful dudes
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

you can develop perfect pitch , this one dude is selling these cd's in a guitar one mag. but anyways, if i am to mimic it on the guitar how should i know what notes to play?
You can develop perfect pitch to an extent, but some people are indeed born with it. (And the notion that it does not exist is ridiculous)

As for making the transition from your head to reality, practice your ear-training. There are ear-training techniques everywhere but you have to find out yourself what works for you.
Quote by metalmania08
my name is Steve, i am trying to start up a band and all, but first i am writing my own songs. that is where i am having trouble. i am having immense trouble trying to truly express myself through my guitar (yamaha rgx a2).it seems every time i think of someting i cannot find the right notes to play that i have dreamed in my mind. if you have any suggestions at all, send me a private message right away please.

learn a scale and just kinda fool with it (the blues scale is fun) and dont think about what youre doin man just be relaxed and jam with yourself LOLOLOL (i spen hours doin this and its a helluva lot of fun)
yeah.
Quote by metalmania08
you can develop perfect pitch , this one dude is selling these cd's in a guitar one mag. but anyways, if i am to mimic it on the guitar how should i know what notes to play?

yes, and this guy is selling a dvd which claims to be the studio "Secret Weapon who scares other professionals" and "quickly turns even 12-year-old rookie into monster shredders and jazz fusion maestros almost overnight!" in the same exact magazine

-notice the grammar errors-

and they both cost well over $100 when you can buy John Petrucci's Rock Discipline and Marty Friedman's Melodic Control for less and learn more than both of those phony products combined
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

A lot of the guitar "methods" that claim ridiculous things -- like perfect pitch and overnight guitar virtuosos -- are complete bull. Perfect pitch takes a LOT of hard work to develop if you were born with relative pitch, like 99.99% of us.