I'm looking for a new amp that is in the price range of $400 or under. I'm currently interested in the Carvin SX series...

My style of music is Progressive Rock/Metal (Dream Theater, Rush), and sometimes Metal (Mettalica, Avenged Sevenfold)

If anyone can be of any help, im mostly looking for an amp with good clean channels and a very good channel to set up my lead tone.

EDIT: To be even more specific i would really like an amp that would give me a tone similar to that of Steve Vai and/or John Petrucci. But also a way to get some nice heavy, but distinct sounding, sound to play heavy riffs.
Last edited by jadefox02 at Aug 4, 2006,
Buttsecks?
Live as a man. Die as a man. Become a man.

That's the proof of your incompetence, right there.
You lack the qualifications to exercise free will.
the fact that you put Avenged Sevenfold as metal makes you deserve a SERIOUS flaming.....
but i'm not really up to one right now.

and i checked out getting one of those before i got my randall, and it was going to take 7 or 8 months to get one to me..... so beware they do take awhile to get.
check ebay for some nice used tube amps
member #2 of the hippies kickass club
Quote by bite_the_bullet
the fact that you put Avenged Sevenfold as metal makes you deserve a SERIOUS flaming.....
but i'm not really up to one right now.

Punk Metal, Heavy Metal, whatever, sorry if I "Offended" you in putting A7X in the "Metal" Genre, but i was just putting in a general area, tell ya the truth i dont care. You gotta admit though they are pretty talented on Guitar (And Drums as well), even though this is beside the point >_>

And I will go try eBay and look into Randalls a bit more...
A7X are still sloppy as hell live...

In any case, Avenged play Bogners, Metallica play Marshalls, Vai Carvins, and Satch Peaveys.

I think you might be able to settle with the Carvin, although I don't know much about them. I would shoot for all-tube vintage-esque amp along the lines of a JCM then add on with distortion/OD pedals from there.
Quote by SuperAnalytical
A7X are still sloppy as hell live...

In any case, Avenged play Bogners, Metallica play Marshalls, Vai Carvins, and Satch Peaveys.

I think you might be able to settle with the Carvin, although I don't know much about them. I would shoot for all-tube vintage-esque amp along the lines of a JCM then add on with distortion/OD pedals from there.

I know what *They* play, but since i'm on a budget i'm trying to get the next best thing to get close to them, and yeah, they do play kinda sloppy live, but hey... nevermind... cant think of anything >_>

I currently found a nice tube amp (I think) on eBay, I'm going to keep a watch on it, and probably bid. Thanks for the help guys, and sorry if I've been seeming like a jerk, its pretty late here and i'm jsut flustered i guess.