Page 1 of 2
i've started to customize a guitar, a washburn idol series, and turn it into the ultimate hot rod guitar, literally. im painting it candy apple red with dual white racing stripes and a "mach 1" symbol to the left of the neck. i've been thinking of other things to do, and i have some questions. i want to put a guage on the headstock, or somewhere else. i've seen a guitar by olp called a "tin top" with a guage on the body that moves when you plug it in. How is this done? here's a pic.

also, i've seen an article on a guitar owned by billy gibbons of zz top, with a ignition switch, complete with key, for a pickup selector, called the telecaster kruizzerhead, how is this done? can't find a pic. my other idea was to bend the whammy bar up at the end, and put a shift knob on it, how could i do this? does anybody else have any other suggestions for car related things to put on the guitar? Something with the knobs would be nice.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
hmmm... maybe make a pot/knob that when you turn it, the meter moved with it. I know how to do it so if you like the idea, i can help you with a schematic or layout.
that'd be cool to get a schematic
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
All you'd need for a guage like that would be a voltmeter connected across the output jack terminals- the harder you play, the higher the needle would register (this is called a VU meter AFAIK). Though it's worth considering that voltmeters have a slight loading effect so it could suck some of the high end from your tone. Ask That_Pink_Queen or one of the other electrical gurus for the schematic for the LED thing- the one where you have LEDs that glow as you play harder. If you put a solenoid attached to a needle in the circuit instead of the LED then that might work.

As for that ignition switch, you could just use a 3 way rotary switch, but make a custom knob for it- if you wanted the key flush to the surface, though, you might have to have the pot sunken into a recess. You might be able to find a 3 way key switch in an electrical shop, but i wouldnt know how to wire it until i saw it.

Oh, and come over to my thread, I'm doing a hotrod Explorer with a very similar paintjob. Link's in the sig!
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Ok the schematic in 4 ways...

You can buy this meter from Mouser. Its the Analog Panel Meter 0-10vDC. Item number 541-OMS-DVV-010. You can buy one of these from somewhere else but its an Analog Panel Meter 0-10vDC. And yes, the third part of the pot goes nowhere.
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Aug 5, 2006,
And so you know, he ignitin switch is just a switch! u'u All you would need to do is just solder the lugs, and drill a slightly bigger hole for the switch.

XD though I don't know where you can find a SPDT car key switch that's not off/on/(on)
i don't really care about the leds, just the meter, so how would i wire the volmeter into the output jack? the switch i have is a three way, between two humbuckers, so i could just use an actual ignition switch? anybody know how to bend the whammy bar and add a shift knob?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Nope! You can't use a normal ignition switch because it wouldn't work. The setup is all wrong! D:

A normal ignition switch is off/on/(on) Meaning in position one you would have NO sound, position two would have a SINGLE pickup, and position three you woudl have your other pickup, but you would need to hold it there because it wil not lock in place.

You need to look for a SPDT on/on/on Ignition switch for this to work. Look on mouser or something. n'n
i saw the schematic, i just think the volmeter would be easier, and the needle would move with my playing, what is the mouser website called?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101
what is the mouser website called?

O'o

Sig FTWW XD

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=home

Also, GOOGLE IS YOUR FREIND! (First link beotch)

Quote by shredmeiser101
i saw the schematic, i just think the volmeter would be easier, and the needle would move with my playing

some one correct me if I am wrong, but I do beleive the negative lead from the voltometer will still pick up voltage from the line? With a LITTLE bit of boosting from the 9v?

Plus I think it would be cool. XD the meter at 0, then you plug in your guitar and it jumps up to 4 or 5 volts. Then it swings up and down depending on your playing.

You can use a little cheap IC amplifier to amplify the signal and actually get some REAL movement with the meter though if you want. Hell, you might even be able to put some diodes in there and have on board distrtion. XD
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Aug 5, 2006,
ksmyazz, does that 100k pot just control the output reading of the VU meter? If it does, could you use a dual gang volume pot which controls both the volume and the meter reading? That would give it some real use as well, instead of it just being for show. The volume pot would be 500k though, could you make it work with that? Just a thought, I'm really interested to see how all this turns out
My gear;

Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Nope. D: The way you would have to wire it to get it to work would be totally useless. You need a SPDT switch with the middle position having both lugs connected. (As in a on/on/on)

robmarsden: you may perhaps get a sterio pot that can controll both at the same time! Like a 500K audio sterio.
the switches i posted were on/on/on, like i thought it had to be.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by grimreaper65
Hang some pink fuzzy dice on the headstock.

YESSS!!!

That idea pwns!! Cool ideas though, I think I'll like it when it's done.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
i can't find any spdt on/on/on switches, anybody got a link to somewhere that has them? would like radioshack or murray's have them?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Mouser electronics should have them. They are right down the road from where i live and they have the best selection of eletrical components of any company I've ever seen.

spinal tap much?
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
they stole my idea! bastards!
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
^ I thought you stole the idea from ZZ Top? And you definately stole the paintjob off me
My gear;

Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

i know my paint scheme isn't very original. i meant the shift knob on the whammy bar thing. i didn't think anybody else had that.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by Guitar0player
So that's Nigel's Mr.Muscle guitar.
Unbelivble.

no, mr. horsepower
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
i'm not makin a carbon copy of it, so again, could anybody give me a link to where exactly i can get a spdt on,on,on keylock switch? i've searched mouser and cannot find one.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Yeah, i think it should do, might wanna wait for one of the more knowledgable guys to come in to confirm it, before you buy it
My gear;

Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Yea I guess you could use that. I havent worked with something like that so i dont know how to wire it, but if you use a continuity tester an poke around to were the electricity is flowing for each switch position.
wtf is a continuity tester? how would i use it to determine which lugs go to which position?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Page 1 of 2