Hey, I've been using this site forever but just never bothered joining the forum, well here's my first post.

I'm looking to buy a new multi-effect pedal for my Strat, and I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions to help me out. I definatly want a multi-effect one, and I'm trying to stay under 200 bucks or so. I've used my friends DigiTech RP80, and I liked it, but I'm looking for something a little bigger, especially looking for one with the side pedal and not just the selection ones.

I've been looking specifically at the DigiTech RP300A. It looks to be nice and it's not too expensive. The only negative thing I've heard is that it's unstable and breaks after not too much use.

Basically, if anyone has any experience with the RP300A or anythign Digitech that'll help, or anyone just has suggestions for what pedal to get, it'd be greatly appreciated.
-
Last edited by RuledBySecrecy at Aug 4, 2006,
the only multi effects ive played that didnt tottaly suck wher the high end boss ones and the zoom pedals, id look into into the zoom ones.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Dont get a muliteffects pedals.

And Ill repeat that once more....DONT get a multieffects pedal. Get individual effects. And to piss off every digital *****, keep it analog. Digital is stale and lifeless. 98% of the time, everytime.
All I can say is don't get a Zoom. I bought one a long time ago and I've had nothing but problems with it since. I can't even switch patches on it without it restarting itself and going back to A1. I have a 606 and its a piece of junk.

I'd say, like the others, stray away from multifeffects pedals as a whole unless you're strapped for cash and can't buy an assortment of specialized basic pedals.
Quote by HeartInACage
Dont get a muliteffects pedals.

And Ill repeat that once more....DONT get a multieffects pedal. Get individual effects. And to piss off every digital *****, keep it analog. Digital is stale and lifeless. 98% of the time, everytime.

Guess the GT-8 is an exception.

What's your budget? Try a used GT-8 if you can't grab a used one.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

i have a me-50 and i like it. if you arent going to use more then like 4 or 5 effects then i would just try to get individual pedals
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
i'll offer my two cents-

i do have a digitech gnx1. it does sound digital. it took me awhile and i finanlly got some decent tones out of it after tweaking for ages... but still sounds digitial, especailly the chorus and delays, it lacks that warmth... if you want to try a multi try to go used and get a Boss GT-8 if you can. otherwise, +1 for the suggestions to get single effects.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
Don't listen to HeartInACage...for some reason he can't seem to grasp the concept of being helpful with a response about the subject at hand.

I'd say stay away from the cheaper zoom stuff...IMO it has limited range and tone. If you can, try to save up a little more cash and go for a ME-50. If you can find one used, grab a GT-6 or a GT-8.

You can sometimes find the GNX3 or GNX4 in the $250-#300 range, but to me those units sound a little to harsh on the higher gain settings.

Also, the original kidney-bean shaped pods can be found for $150-$200, but it's not a good choice if you're trying to do live stuff.
i have a rp100a and its pretty sturdy. i wouldn't jump on it, cause it would then defanately break. i think the rp300 would be great. i wish i would have one w/ the expression pedal. the bad thing about the rp100 is there isn't an on/off swithch, so you just unplug the guitar and it turns off. i don't know if it s like that in the rp series or its just the 100. i say try it out at your music store, if you like it than buy it.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Actually TwoString, my advice has very much to do with the topic at hand. Im not merely saying that multieffects suck, Im saying that it would be a sound and better investment to buy individual pedals. Considering this is about buying a multifx, Im not sure how that absurd notion entered your seemingly empty mind. Please dont make a brazingly headstrong stand in the honor of multifx. Its a fact. They DONT sound as good as individual pedals, which is why its so much cheaper for a multifx. You can argue that its possible to achieve an ok tone, but to aruge that its better than individual pedals completely makes me disregard anything you say.

So to the thread starter:
Unless youre willing to plunk 1000+ on a multifx, Id stick to individual pedals. If youre strapped for cash, you dont always need the EH memory man, but even a cheapre Ibanez DE-7 is going to be better than that of the delay on a cheap Multifx.
I don't believe I ever stated that multifx sound better than individual pedals. My point is is that the better units (GT-8, POD XTL, GNX4, etc) are high quality units, and in many aspects are comparable to individual pedals. Just because you believe that individual pedals are better doesn't make it so. I've seen the progression that multifx units have made in the past 10 years, and they've gotten so much better that there's just no way anyone can make a blanket statement that individual pedals are better than a multifx unit. By that argument, you're basically saying that any Ibanez Soundtank pedal or Danelectro FAB pedal will sound better than the same effect on the POD Pro or GNX4. I used to think the same thing, that individual stomps are better, but after the last couple of generations of multifx, I actually started digging a little deeper into the units and I've found tones that many of those individual boxes just can't do. If there are any elder statesmen of the guitar-playing world on this forum, they might also remember a time where anything other than tube technology was frowned upon. Many had similar feelings when all of those little stomp-boxes started coming out as well. Many of the individual, "analog" stomp boxes use similar digital processing to achieve their sounds as well.

To the threadstarter, and anyone else interested in multifx, don't let the views of the few that absolutely refuse to accept multifx can match individual stomps disuade you from trying them out.
I'm going to agree with TwoString on this one. The first addition I made to my guitar rig was a multi unit, specifically a Digitech GNX2. It cost me about $250 at the time, and it was far more affordable and gave me more sonic options than if I went for individual pedals. It's a very well-built piece of equipment. Yes, you're not going to be able to smash the buttons with your full weight, but if you did that with almost any stompbox, you'd damage it.

I've even used it live a number of times. Every time I used it, I had a number of people tell me that they really liked my tone, and they couldn't believe that a little box could sound that good. At least one person said a couple of songs sounded dead-on to the album recording. To me, that's one of the best comments that could be made about the thing.

I don't use it live anymore, mainly because my tastes have changed and I'm going for a simpler sound with my playing now. Anymore, I only use overdrive and chorus; if it's a smaller gig, I'll also use some reverb to make the sound a bit bigger. I still use the multi sometimes when I want to play in the dead of night and not wake up my roommates. It was a great purchase, and I plan on keeping it unless somebody pays me decent money to take it off of my hands because it still gives me more options than a rig of single pedals could ever give me unless I sold my car.

To the threadstarter: I would definitely recommend trying some units out in stores if at all possible. $200 does limit your options because the cheaper units are of worse quality than more expensive ones. Supposedly the new Zoom G2 units sound pretty good. If you're willing to go used/on eBay, the Boss ME-50 is a good option for only effects, and the GNX series is decent for amp modeling as well. Just remember that what's important is that it sounds good to you.
threadstarter, what tones/artists do u play?
what amp are u using and do u have any pedals yet?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by wilty00
All I can say is don't get a Zoom. I bought one a long time ago and I've had nothing but problems with it since. I can't even switch patches on it without it restarting itself and going back to A1. I have a 606 and its a piece of junk.

I'd say, like the others, stray away from multifeffects pedals as a whole unless you're strapped for cash and can't buy an assortment of specialized basic pedals.

the button on my zoom fell off

to threadstarter

buy a me-50 or GT-8(boss)

of you want to spend more than $1000(which i truly doubt)

go look up SKYDSTRUP
To answer a couple questions:

After reading the comments I've looked at indiviual pedals, and to get all the right gear I'm looking for would be way over 200 bucks. Now the questions about my gear/stlye...

I'm playing lot's of classic stuff, Zeppelin, Van Halen, lot of Pink Floyd, and then lots of Red Hot Chili Peppers, (and that new Dragonforce stuff looks fun to play, but I've yet to try). I don't have any pedals currently because I wanted to narrow down exactly what I wanted, and I'm using (and proud to use) my Frontman 25R.

Hope these answers help you to help me...thanks : )
-
umm actually getting a good Multi fx would probably be a bit over $200 too, you really should get singles, if you can buy them all at once get the basic ones first and then go for the more specialized stuff that you wont use as much.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
this might sound nuts, but go check out a Vox AD30 amp.

im not dissing ur amp. i actually have a fender 25r. i picked it up really cheap and the cleans are fine. has a cd in. not bad for the price.

But, the AD 30 has 11 different models (effects) and its an incredible clean, classic rock amp.
ull hear a huge tone difference, especially in ur louder playing. and ull enjoy some pretty good effects, all for $230.

at least check them out.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 7, 2006,
Korg AX3000G. Simple as that, is better than a Boss Me-50 and has some weird effects which you cannot achieve through stompboxes (that's what I use it for)
jj65 is right. The amp is the basis of your tone. Even the best rack multi effects won't disguise a crap amp. A vox ad30 will have all you need and sound a great deal better. It has the modelling and effects that you are after, and if you sell your current amp, you should easily have enough to buy it. In fact, you may be able to grab a second hand valveking or blues junior if you sell your current amp and add that to the $200. I'd advise getting a good basic set-up before loads of effects. I've had 2 multi-effects systems and been disappointed with both. I've now got a nice tube amp that plain ****ing rocks. In short, valveking or blues junior, or if you really need all the effects, get a vox ad30 or Roland cube (Vox is better IMO)

Good luck man

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by HeartInACage
Actually TwoString, my advice has very much to do with the topic at hand. Im not merely saying that multieffects suck, Im saying that it would be a sound and better investment to buy individual pedals. Considering this is about buying a multifx, Im not sure how that absurd notion entered your seemingly empty mind. Please dont make a brazingly headstrong stand in the honor of multifx. Its a fact. They DONT sound as good as individual pedals, which is why its so much cheaper for a multifx. You can argue that its possible to achieve an ok tone, but to aruge that its better than individual pedals completely makes me disregard anything you say.

So to the thread starter:
Unless youre willing to plunk 1000+ on a multifx, Id stick to individual pedals. If youre strapped for cash, you dont always need the EH memory man, but even a cheapre Ibanez DE-7 is going to be better than that of the delay on a cheap Multifx.

i'm with him. go with individual pedals, or t.c. electronics has a good one for like $1200.

or go with jenny, and get a new amp.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
most people will say get individual pedals, i started out with a multi FX pedal myself (Zoom G2.1u) i thort id do this just to get myself farmiliar with the effects and so i could mess around as ive only been playing a year now. i must say its really cool, its a lot of fun and you can get some great sounds. the Zoom G2.1u is a great multi FX people and people who own it will probally agree. i suggest you look it up unless your going for individual pedals.

the Zoom G2.1u cost me £119 english pounds which is about $220 US dollars???? roughly im not sure on that.
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09
Stay away you freak....I dont want you spreading your hideous crab population..

METALLICA AT WEMBLEY 08/07/07
Last edited by dumps at Aug 7, 2006,