Hey people. I?m a newbie here at UG. I have been playing guitar for one year and I think it's time I should get a new guitar. I have been playing on a strat copy that I got because I begged my grandmother for it lol. I got it from Rondo's which seems to be famous around here. I didn't plan on getting a new guitar so soon but this thing just pisses me off. My current setup is a Douglas SI-11 (strat copy), Dimarzio cable and a Vox AD30VT. I learned everything I know on the strat (not much as I still suck imo). I always knew it wasn't good in the back of my head as I was playing over time but it only really hit me when I played other guitars at a Guitar Center. I never liked it because no matter how I adjusted it the single coils where muddy, the humbucker was decent but sterile sounding (it was bright and cut through but with no flavor), the frets buzzed and the tuners dropped my tuning every 7 to 10 minutes. It would detune even faster when bending or using the trem. The neck feels thin and the fret board dries out quickly. I oiled it with lemon oil TWICE which turned out to be a waste as it never actually smoothes out. It did get cleaner though lol. Honestly the guitar depressed me for a time in which I didn?t play for about a month or so. It was really that bad. I spent some time at Guitar Center playing different guitars with a salesman who befriended me so I have developed some preferences. I won?t have another chance to get into town again to check out any more guitars so I can?t go back for models that I kinda sorta liked. Plus most of them were out of my price range. I like thicker necks with wide fret boards. I want something with at least 22 frets. I do like humbuckers. Looking for a thick chunky rhythm sound from the neck but cleans up real nice. For the bridge I want something that could let me step out and has a brighter attack. But meh pickups could be changed. I am more worried about the guitar itself and how it plays. I don't have much of a preference in the body shape but I don't want anything crazy like the B.C. Rich Warlocks. I don?t care if it has a trem or not as I don?t think I will be using it much. I just want to work on my playing and technique. Here is the sad part. I currently have $60 usd saved. I get $20 bucks a week just cause and extra money when I see family or if I ask for something specific. When the school year starts back I plan to get a job but that?s in the future. So I am asking for help on what I should choose to save up for. I plan to buy the guitar around December if I can raise the cash by then. If I cannot I will wait till April during my birthday and see if I can get more money for something even better. I don?t want to save up too much money as it is soon time for college and I need to keep extra money for that. So I guess I am willing to spend $500. I would spend more if needed but it will take me a bit longer to save. I am selling the strat as soon as I get my new guitar. I just? I can?t? I can?t take that thing anymore. It just pisses me off on a whole new dimension. By the way anyone who is starting off, don?t get that guitar. It?s just a poor quality piece of crap. I heard how bad Squier?s are and I actually liked the, better then my Douglas. So in closing can anyone recommend some guitars for me to look into? It?s sad but needed at this point. Thanks for any help you guys could offer me.

PS: Sorry for making such along post but I guess I need to vent and request some things.
Last edited by DDLOdle at Aug 5, 2006,
ya an epi sounds like a good idea
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Epi LP is a good consideration. So is Schecter. My PRS Soapbar SE II has a bit of a thicker neck. Real solid feel. And I love the tone. If you've never tried soapbars, you should. I love the sound with my AD30VT.
Hi, I'm Peter
If you have to save for college maybe you can get a nice guitar at cheap price at pwnshops if you don't mind going used. BTW Rg321mh seems to be a good choic for the price and quality since you don't care about having a trem or not.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
I tried some Ibanez guitars before and their necks are fine to me it's jus tthat I prefer thicker necks. I think it's the fretboard width I prefer though. I like the wider feel because it's more suitable for my hands I guess. I haven't tried any Epi's yet. I just heard they weren't very good at all. I do like the Les Paul shape though. I haven't tried a Schecter or PRS yet though so I guess I will have a look at their models and look for something that I thin I would like. I wouldn't mind going used as long as its a good guitar. Any other suggestions for me to look out for?
Doesn't really matter. The guitar is crap nevertheless. lol

Edit: I already bought from Rondo's so I know they won't rob me but how are their Agile guitars?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Epi LP is a good consideration. So is Schecter. My PRS Soapbar SE II has a bit of a thicker neck. Real solid feel. And I love the tone. If you've never tried soapbars, you should. I love the sound with my AD30VT.

i was going to suggest the prs se series as well. i think they make some with humbuckers instead of soapbars, so you could have some options with the pick-ups while keeping the same thicker neck.
I looked online for the Schecters and PRS guitars I could probably afford. For Schecter I like the C-1 Plus and the C-1 Classic (out of reach right now but you never know). For PRS I like the SE Custom and the SE Singlecut. Are the PRS SE series carved topped guitars? I like the look of the Ibanez RG321MH.
Quote by wind88
If you have to save for college maybe you can get a nice guitar at cheap price at pwnshops if you don't mind going used. BTW Rg321mh seems to be a good choic for the price and quality since you don't care about having a trem or not.

Exactly, I play a wonderful American-made Kramer today with Seymour Duncans and a Floyd Rose (original, not licensed). It played wonderfully for a pawn shop guitar. It was $50, too. I was gonna buy it, then I though, "Man, I suck ass at guitar, I don't need another."
I found an Agile I like. It's the AL-3100. Looks beautiful but not sure about how it plays yet. I'll still look around.

*Does anyone know what is the fretboard radius of Schecter guitars?
I'm actually thinking about getting another strat now that I think about it. But a real one. I don't want to have one horrible guitar ruin my image of strats so I might get another. But I don't have the money for an American nor do I think I will ever put that much money out for an American model anyway. I don't have it in me when it comes to Fender products. I heard about the Japanese and Mexican models. I want to know how they stack up to Americans? Would it make sense in me buying one and upgrading the hardware? Also are their neck interchangeable with warmoth necks?
Quote by DDLOdle
I looked online for the Schecters and PRS guitars I could probably afford. For Schecter I like the C-1 Plus and the C-1 Classic (out of reach right now but you never know). For PRS I like the SE Custom and the SE Singlecut. Are the PRS SE series carved topped guitars? I like the look of the Ibanez RG321MH.

Clicky the sig!

Another victim to Rondo Music. Tsk Tsk Tsk. PRS are not carved top. They kinda feel flat, but an overall good geet. If you're going to get an Ibanez, get an RG1570, assuming you can afford.
As far as the Warmoth thing goes, yes, they're interchangeable, just make sure you check the Warmoth neck page for known incapatibilities.

Japanese Fenders are comparable with American; Mexican Fenders can be excellent, but the quality control isn't consistent, so you'll have to play several to find one that you really like. You should give a Tele a shot, too, if you plan on popping in a Warmoth neck anyway. And if you get a Warmoth, tell me how you like it because I've been thinking about building a guitar with their parts and I'm really indecisive about the neckshape I want.
Hi, I'm Peter
Dude I would love to buy your Classic but I don't have all the money yet. By the time I do you would have probably sold it which sucks. I hate not having a job.

I am thinking about going on ebay if I do get a strat which is pretty probably at this point (unless I ge tht emoney to buy that Classic). Since MIM strats could be inconsistent I would shoot for a Jap strat. The GC back home doesn't stock any Jap or MIM strats and I don't know of any pawn shops off hand. Tele's are growing on me but I think I should get a strat first (or another guitar at least). Since the PRS guitars aren't carved tops or don't at least have a forearm contour that takes some points off for comfort. But they aren't toatally out of the picture. I will look around ebay for some stuff. If I do get the strat I'd be sure to get back to you about the Warmoth neck.
The SE Custom doesn't have the forearm contour but it has the horn contour. I still like em though. They aren't out of the running yet.